Island of the Sequined Love Nun

by Christopher Moore | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by beatrice-s of West Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on 2/25/2006
Journal Entry 1 by beatrice-s from West Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, February 25, 2006
The first Christopher Moore book I read was The Stupidest Angel, and while I found it funny, it seemed only moderately so.

But *this* book is hysterical! The one that made me laugh out loud was the brilliant Hamlet spoof; honourable mentions include the cannibalism bits and Vincent playing poker with Jesus. But really the laughs were too numerous to list.

And unlike Angel, this book was not even completely void of intellectual value (not that I was expecting or hoping for any), in that it describes cargo cults, which is something I've never heard of, as well as Micronesian society, also rare.

Anyway, I was highly entertained! I'm reading a long and somewhat slow book and this is one of the books I quickly read as a break from it :P

Reserved for HoserLauren; ALS.

Mailed April 11. Sorry it took me so long!

Journal Entry 2 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, April 18, 2006
I received this today! Thanks so much it looks like a lot of fun!

I can't imagine why a library would want to discard this book? Christopher Moore books hold a lot of value on Bookcrossing/Bookrelay lol

Thanks again :)

Journal Entry 3 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Thursday, June 05, 2008
Tuck blows it when he takes a prostitute up in the pink Mary Jean jet while drunk and crashes it into SeaTac airport. Mary Jean wants him not only out of her company, but off of the continent immediately so its easier to deal with the media backlash. Tuck gets a letter from an island in Micronesia called Alualu, where they are looking for a pilot to fly their brand new Learjet. Tuck doesn't even think about how missionaries could afford to purchase a brand new jet before he accepts and heads off down to start a new life.

The book follows Tuck's journey where it's hard to tell if he has very bad luck, or very good luck. For example, in trying to get to this island, Tuck misses a boat that is going to take him so he commissions out a boat from a cross dresser, and they get stuck in a typhoon. But Tuck survives. Tuck learns about the island folktales and the local's Gods while trying to figure exactly what is going on and why so much money is being made. Of course, he can't help but get himself into some trouble along the way.

This novel was lots of fun. Tuck was an enjoyable character: a geek in a non-geek body, a little naive, and sometimes a little stupid. I didn't laugh out loud during this book but some parts were quite funny. I found this to be one of Moore's better novels.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, June 09, 2008
This book is with me now!

Journal Entry 5 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, July 17, 2008
Tucker Case is a screw-up. When he destroys his company's jet while accompanied by a prostitute who wants to join the mile high club, he has to leave the United States and quickly.

He ends up in Micronesia hired to fly a brand new Lear jet for some Missionaries. How did he figure they could ever afford a jet? To get to the job, he misses the boat and ends up in a small boat with a cross-dressing navigator and a pet fruit bat. The navigator does not even consider checking weather forecasts and they are in a typhoon. By good luck, Tuck lands on the correct island but is almost dinner for an elderly member of the natives who inhabit the island.

I loved the book. It was outrageously funny and completely off the wall. A very entertaining read

Journal Entry 6 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, August 12, 2008
I sent this book off to zzz today! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, October 18, 2008
This book was returned back to me because the address was incorrect. Since it was a RABCK and is too expensive to re-send, I'm going to put it back as AVL.

Journal Entry 8 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, November 16, 2008
Sent off again to zzz. Hopefully it gets there this time!

Journal Entry 9 by zzz from Rakovica, City of Belgrade Serbia on Thursday, November 27, 2008
This time it was successful voyage!
Thank you Lauren!