Private Peaceful

by Michael Morpurgo | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by smurphie of Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on 2/23/2006
Journal Entry 1 by smurphie from Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, February 23, 2006
This is actually a children's/young adults book. And winner of the Blue Peter Book of the Year 2005.

I picked it up yesterday and read it in one sitting and at the end I was crying.

A stunning novel of the First World War

They've gone now, and I'm alone at last. I have the whole night ahead of me, and I won't waste a single moment of it.... I want tinight to be long, as long as my life...

As young Thomas Peaceful looks back over his childhood from the battlefields of the First World Wat, his memories are full of family life deep in the countryside.

But the clock is ticking, and every moment Tommo spends remembering how things used to be, means another moment closer to something which will change his life for ever.

Innocence and love, courage and cowardice.
You have to read this book.

Journal Entry 2 by smurphie from Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, February 16, 2008
Heading off around the world to spread it's story.

The order is as follows:-

tagesmann UK

Vamperstein8792 UK

RDWirral UK - Intl

klaradyn South Africa - Intl

arugh48187 India - Intl

discoverylover New Zealand

Joanthro USA - Intl

Then home to me Smurphie in Scotland in the UK

I've included a wee envelope for each of you with a postcard and a bokmark from me. I hope you all enjoy this story.

Any problems please PM me

Heading off as a bookring.

Journal Entry 4 by tagesmann on Saturday, February 23, 2008
23/02/08 Arrived this morning.

11/03/08 I didn't realise that this was a children's book when I was offfered the chance to read it. Not that it made any difference. This is a very moving story that deserves the award that it has won.

19/03/08 Posted to Vamperstein today.

Journal Entry 5 by AMJ-898913 on Monday, March 24, 2008
Arrived safely, thanks. Looking forward to reading this.

Journal Entry 6 by AMJ-898913 on Friday, May 02, 2008
I'd never heard of Michael Morpurgo before Smurphie's "War Horse" bookring, but I'm so glad I discovered him because his stories are fantastic. The ending of this was a surprise to me, I did sort of know what was going to happen but the actual specifics of it were a bit of a twist on what I thought.

RDWirral asked to be skipped. Mailed out to klaradyn today.

Journal Entry 7 by klaradyn from Praha, Praha Czech Republic on Thursday, May 08, 2008
Arrived today. Thanks so much for sending on!

Journal Entry 8 by klaradyn from Praha, Praha Czech Republic on Wednesday, May 21, 2008
I enjoyed Private Peaceful very much. This was the second Morpurgo book I read. The other one (War Horse) was also one of Smurphie's bookrings. So thank you, Smurphie, for introducing me to this fantastic children's author!

Will be posted to the next participant later today.

Journal Entry 9 by klaradyn from Praha, Praha Czech Republic on Wednesday, May 21, 2008
Now on the way to India, via airmail.

My book #31 for guinaveve's Keep Them Moving challenge.

Journal Entry 10 by arugh48187 from Edina, Minnesota USA on Monday, June 02, 2008
This one arrived in my mailbox today. I have a few bookrings in front of it, but it shouldn't tarry long. You can keep track of its progress via my bookshelf.

Journal Entry 11 by arugh48187 from Edina, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, July 15, 2008
This was a very fast read. I did it in a day. The book was enjoyable and I teared up in the end, but for some reason I feel somewhat ambivalent about it. I have no idea why. Normally when I read a good book, I rush right out and put all of the author's books on my wishlist. I feel kind of unenthused about reading another of his though.

I have the address of the next reader, so this will go out in the post tomorrow.

Released 11 yrs ago (7/18/2008 UTC) at Bangalore, Karnataka, India, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

Sending off to discoverylover who is next on the list. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 13 by wingdiscoveryloverwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, July 24, 2008
Recieved today in the mail! I started reading it on the train out to a job interview :D Am really enjoying it so far!!

Journal Entry 14 by wingdiscoveryloverwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Friday, July 25, 2008
Wow. I finished this last night and it was FANTASTIC! Cried my way through the last few pages, which I like in a book! I did a paper at uni last year about the Social and Cultural Implications of WW1, and one of our themes one week was 'Great War Minds' where we covered shell shock a little (which wasn't really mentioned that much in the book, but was in the afterward), and I think this made the book even more interesting for me. But overall, loved the writing, loved the story, loved the characters :D

I've just had a look at Joanthro's page and saw this message, so will pm Smurphie in a minute :D

(Message from Joanthro) Update, June 2008: At the end of this month, I will be moving to China for a little over two years. I will not have a permanent address until September so please skip me for any bookrings or rays that may make their way to me during this time.

Journal Entry 15 by wingdiscoveryloverwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Sent home to Smurphie today, it should be there in 10-25 working days..apologies for sending it slightly later than I said I would, I hope the small surprise will make up for it!

Thanks again for the ring, I enjoyed the book so much I'm thinking about buying myself a copy (along with about 4 more copies to give to friends!)

Journal Entry 16 by wingdiscoveryloverwing at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (7/29/2008 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Did you know that the next World Convention is going to be held right here in Christchurch, New Zealand! We would love to welcome you along :D Check out our website

Journal Entry 17 by smurphie from Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, August 09, 2008
Arrived home this morning.

Thanks to all who took part and thanks to discoverylover for the lovely surprise yum yum :o)