Breath, Eyes, Memory (Oprah's Book Club)

by Edwidge Danticat | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 037570504x Global Overview for this book
Registered by sabeena29 of on 2/22/2006
Journal Entry 1 by sabeena29 from not specified, not specified not specified on Wednesday, February 22, 2006
picked up at thrift shop- plan to reread- read many years ago- planning to send as rabck to another bookcrosser

Journal Entry 2 by sabeena29 from not specified, not specified not specified on Sunday, July 09, 2006
sending to HoserLauren as a rabck- enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, July 19, 2006
What a nice surprise!! I received not only a wishlist book that I have been looking for for a while, but also a very nice greeting on a postcard from sabeena29 (which was just as nice as getting the book!). Thanks so much Sabina, you're a sweetie!

This book will help me get closer to my goal of reading all Oprah book club books!

Journal Entry 4 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, August 08, 2007
Sophie Caco lives with her aunt in Haiti while her mother has escaped from life and a rape to New York. At the age of 12, Sophie is summoned by her mother to New York and she has to leave everything she knows behind for a new world. Her mother is haunted by dreams of the rape that produced Sophie every night, and every night Sophie wakes her mother and "saves her".

When Sophie''s mother realizes that Sophie is starting to fall in love, Sophie is "tested" to make sure that she is still pure. This traumatizes Sophie for the rest of her life. Yet Sophie''s mom tells her stories of how and why her mother did it to her. Eventually, Sophie runs away to be with her soon to be husband, has a child, and travels back to Haiti where she learns more about what and why her mother has done.

Of all the Oprah Book Club books that I have read, I''ve found this one the easiest to read. It reads like an auto-biography, and I suspect that it follows pretty closely to Danticat''s own life and her experiences in Haiti. There is a prominent member of the Canadian government right now that is a Haitian native and when the book speaks of Haitian beauty, I picture this individual who is stunning!

I really enjoyed the folk stories that the grandmother, aunt, and mother tell their children. I don''t know much about Haitian culture so it was nice to read about that. Since I''ve never been in a situation that is even close to what Sophie and her mother have been in, I couldn''t quite understand their relationship. Being that there is abuse involved, I guess I can''t be surprised that Oprah chose it as her book club book. If you''re going to read it, read it for the tales and information on Haiti!

Journal Entry 5 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Friday, August 10, 2007
This book is with me now

Journal Entry 6 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, August 21, 2007
At twelve,Sophie Caco is summoned to New York from a poor village in Haiti. She does not really know her mother and 'saves' her from her nightmares of getting raped each night. When Sophie starts to date, she is 'tested' for virginity just as her mother had been. This severely traumitizes her. It is not until she returns to Haiti with her child that Sophie can overcome this shame.
Danticat paints Haiti with rich verbiage showing us the landscape, traditions and politics. I enjoyed the folk tales and the stories of the Haitians. The story itself was a little too vague for me. This may be because I just could not relate to the story.

Journal Entry 7 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, November 17, 2007
This was sent off earlier in the week as a surprise RABCK to Sejent.

Journal Entry 8 by sejent from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Sunday, November 25, 2007
I love surprises! Thanks to Ace for sending this to me. I'm looking forward to reading it.