Smilla's Sense of Snow

by Peter Høeg | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by pulcherrima of Aarhus N, Århus Amt Denmark on 4/8/2010
Journal Entry 1 by pulcherrima from Aarhus N, Århus Amt Denmark on Thursday, April 08, 2010
From the dust conver:

Smilla's Sense of Snow presents one of the toughest heroines in modern fiction. Smilla Qaavigaaq Jaspersen is part Inuit, but she lives in Copenhagen. She is thirty-seven, single, childless, moody, and she refuses to fit in. Smilla's six-year-old Inuit neighbor, Isaiah, manages only with a stubbornness that matches her own to befriend her.
When Issaiah falls of a roof and is killed, Smilla doesn't believe it's an accident. She has seen his tracks in the snow, and she knows about snow. She decides to investigate and discovers that even the police don't want her to get involved. But opposition appeals to Smilla.
As all of Copenhagen settles down for a quiet Christmas, Smilla's investigation takes her form a fervently religious accountant to a tough-talking pathologist and an alcoholic shipping magnate and into the secret files of the Danish company responsible for extracting most of Greenland's mineral wealth - and finally onto a ship with an international cast of villains bound for a mysterious mission on an uninhabitable island off Greenland.
To read Smilla's Sense of Snow is to be taken on a magical, nerve-shattering journey - from the snow-converged streets of Copenhagen to the awesome beauty of the Arctic ice caps. A mystery, a love story, and an elegy for a vanishing way of life, Smilla's Sense of Snow is a breathtaking achievement, and exceptional feat of storytelling.

Peter Høeg, born in 1957 in Denmark, pursued various interests he was a professional dancer, and actor, a sailor, a fencer, and a mountaineer- befor turning seriously to writing. He lives in Copenhagen with his family. Smilla's Sense of Snow is his first novel to be published in English. It was also published in twelve other countires, including Korea, Brazil, and most of Western Europe.

I have bought this copy for the BookCrossing Convention in Amsterdam. I bought it in English Books on Frederiksgade in Århus, and if you ever visit the city you should pay it a visit. They literally have hundreds and hundreds of English used books. The store is crammed with books but the owner is very helpful.

I have a copy in Danish on my PC. I have read it two times and really like it. I've also read some of Peter Høeg's other books and they are very recommendable.

Congratulations!

you’re the lucky finder of a book released at the

BookCrossing Anniversary Convention 2010 in Amsterdam

If you are new to BookCrossing – Welcome!

This is a traveling book which loves to find new readers all over the world. Now that you’ve found the Bookcrossing.com website, feel free to join the community and share your love of books with likeminded from all over the world. Regardless of you joining or not, please come back and write another journal entry when you have finished reading the book.
If you choose to join, please consider using me, pulcherrima , as your referring member.

Happy bookcrossing!

Journal Entry 3 by zippora from Hornslet, Århus Amt Denmark on Sunday, April 18, 2010
Also out of the hands of pulcherrima, with recommendation that is almost an endorsement: a must-read. Will do.

Journal Entry 4 by zippora at Chengdu, Sichuan China on Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (5/11/2010 UTC) at Chengdu, Sichuan China

I have given the book to my friend Chen Xintong in http://www.chengdubookworm.com/

This is an unputdownable book! Though towards the end I had to put it down every now and then, because the violence in it took my breath away.

I liked the book a lot because the protagonist, Smilla, is a very special woman. Also, the description of what it is like to be from Greenland I find very interesting.

Later I will try to read the book in Danish.

Pulcherrima, thank you for giving me the book and Xintong, I hope you find the book as interesting as I found it!