A Long Long Way

by Sebastian Barry | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Sternschnuppe28 of Flörsheim am Main, Hessen Germany on 2/20/2006
Journal Entry 1 by Sternschnuppe28 from Flörsheim am Main, Hessen Germany on Monday, February 20, 2006
a book of the Booker Prize Long List 2005, part of barnhelm´s Booker Prize Roundabout

Reading list:

barnhelm
humptydumpty
Lesezeichen
urfin

Journal Entry 2 by Sternschnuppe28 from Flörsheim am Main, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, April 18, 2006
shortlisted, among the top three I have read so far

"A long long way" tells the story of naive 17-year-old Willie Dunne from Dublin, who joins the Royal British Army to fight against Germany in Belgium in WWI. He leaves behind his father (a police officer), three sisters and Gretta, his first great love. Fighting for the King and the Empire, Willie and his regiment find themselves in the trenches, where they experience the horrors and realities of the cruel war. Throughout the war, he returns home three times, and by accident has to fight at home against his own people during the Easter Uprising of 1916 of the nationalist Irish against the British Empire ...

I have only read little on WWI so far (mainly All quiet at the Western Front by Remarque), so this book catapulted me in a horrible world of the first modern war. "A long long way" vividly decribes the cruelty and stupidity of war, it is a deeply moving and sad book on friendship and (divided) loyality.

Favourites:
- Willie´s transformation from a naive teenager, who saw the war a an exciting adventure, to a man, who questions what he fights for
- the circumstances around the anonymious letter
- the lyrical language

Critics:
- the way of cursing sounded often very modern
- a missing timetable or information on the events that happened in WWI, especially in Flandern and Ireland

all in all: a very powerful account of WWI, that I will read again, as soon as it will have returned to me - two days ago it already started its journey to Quataqa as part of the Booker Prize Roundabout

Released 12 yrs ago (4/16/2006 UTC) at by post in Mainz, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

enjoy reading! via mail to Quataqa

Journal Entry 4 by Qantaqa from Dachau, Bayern Germany on Thursday, April 27, 2006
The book's journey to Hildesheim took a long time (probably because it's a long long way?), but it arrived safe and sound.

Journal Entry 5 by elhamisabel from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Saturday, July 15, 2006
recieved it today. Thanks! Will read as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 6 by elhamisabel from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Wednesday, July 19, 2006
To be honest, as soon as I realised that it was a book about a boy in WW1 I was very reluctant to read it. See, the last thing i want to read about is death and killings and all those hardships connected with war. Plus, I've always thought that wars are totally useless things that only waste thousands, if not millions, innocent lives. And especially with WW1 I'm unable to stop feeling that thousands of young men were just sacrificed because some idiots felt like having a war about trivia.

Anyhow, I started reading the book and couldn't bring myself to read more than 30 pages, dreading all those combat details that were surely going to come up. So I looked at other JE about this book and except one negative critique, all the others were highly praising the book. I decided to give it a try and skip the fight scenes. So I did. I'm glad I did because it is a very well written, very touching book. And skimming through the fight scenes was just the thing.

And yet again, this feeling that thousands of young men were just used as "Kanonenfutter" makes me feel sad.

I highly recommend this book.

EDIT 25.7.06: sent on to CaptainCarrot

Journal Entry 7 by CaptainCarrot from Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, July 26, 2006
The book arrived today - thanks! I'll read it as soon as it gets a bit cooler.

Journal Entry 8 by CaptainCarrot from Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, August 09, 2006
A very sad book, well written and moving. One of my favorites form the booker list.
When reading I remembered again and again that all this and more is true and happening all the time and all over the world. A book like this one is a political book, wether the author intends it or not.
I will read this book again soon. Now I'll send it to pustefix.

Journal Entry 9 by pustefix from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, October 29, 2006
have just finished it and realised i'd forgotten to journal it when I got it.
like everyone else I thought it was very moving. i was also interesting to read about the connections between WW1 and Irish Home Rule.

will send it on to urfin.

Journal Entry 10 by wingUrfinwing from Wolfsburg, Niedersachsen Germany on Wednesday, November 22, 2006
The book has arrived, thanks pustefix. It is very dark November weather here, so that I don't think I will start reading now... But your JEs sound intriguing, and I shall not wait too long (not as long as with Shalimar;)

Journal Entry 11 by wingUrfinwing from Wolfsburg, Niedersachsen Germany on Monday, December 17, 2007
So, anyway, I started reading in December (instead of November) with weather just as gloomy...
I'm 2/3 through and find it a book hard to put down. Basically, because of all the horrible things happening around Willie, I expect him to be wounded or killed anytime, but he was spared so far. But he will be changed so much by being a soldier in this war, I cannot possibly see a future with him and Gretta and having a family together etc. as much as I wish/wait/hope/long for reading about it, eventually.

Also, I have learnt a great deal about Ireland and Irish history already. Although I have a friend (from Cork) I didn't know much at all about the island...

21.Dezember I finished the book, and I'm kind of glad about its ending. (Will not explain, read it yourself.)
As I'm last in the participants list, I gave the book to my boyfriend.

17.März He read it, and we had a discussion.
Then we decided to leave it in the pension where we spent one week, for Skiing :o)

in Room 14
(on a bookshelf with some other books, most of them in German...)

---> www.horalka-pension.cz

Journal Entry 13 by wingUrfinwing from Wolfsburg, Niedersachsen Germany on Wednesday, March 11, 2009
I have found the book still in the same place,
and will take it home, to release it somewhere else...

Journal Entry 14 by wingUrfinwing at Wedding, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (6/10/2009 UTC) at Wedding, Berlin Germany

Took the book to the Meet-Up in Cafe Lichtburg in Wedding, where an Ireland-Fan pocketed it. Hope, that you she likes it.

Journal Entry 15 by lola-negri from Wandlitz, Brandenburg Germany on Thursday, June 11, 2009
the book is on my shelf now and i hope to read it soon. later i will send it over to england or ireland, where good friends of mine live at the moment.

Journal Entry 16 by lola-negri from Wandlitz, Brandenburg Germany on Thursday, July 16, 2009
well, every book has its own time and the time has not come yet for me to read this one. i've tried it yesterday and failed.
i'm going to offer it in my avl-section but who knows, maybe i will retry it in a few weeks ...