Holy Fire

by Bruce Sterling | Science Fiction & Fantasy | This book has not been rated.
Registered by Skyring of Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on 2/16/2006
Journal Entry 1 by Skyring from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Thursday, February 16, 2006
Found this on the wonderful swapshelf of the Next Stop Backpackers, where I am currently in residence for the New Zealand BookCrossing Convention!

Journal Entry 2 by Skyring at Next Stop Backpackers, View St in Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Thursday, February 16, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (2/16/2006 UTC) at Next Stop Backpackers, View St in Dunedin, Otago New Zealand

Back on the shelf...

Journal Entry 3 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, May 20, 2006
Was still on the shelf when we arrived for the fantastic Regent Booksale on Friday night. I tried to use it to cheat at boreals booksale scavenger hunt challenge (she'd given us a list of 20 categories of books to try and find at the sale, one of which was "A bookcrossing registered book"), but for some reason nobody beleived me that a book you picked up from the backpackers where you were staying in order to go to the sale counted as a book found at the sale...

I think I may well have packed the book along with all the ones I bought at the sale, so if it reappears when I get back to Christchurch I'll release it somewhere interesting.

v

Journal Entry 4 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, July 14, 2009
Somehow this ended up in Mt TBR, so I decided to give it a go. The cover is misleading - I expected something about nuns, but instead it turned out to be science fiction, about a near-future society in which life extension techniques are rapidly nearing providing immortality, and the elderly rich hold all the power.

Interesting ideas, but like much near-future sci-fi, it suffers a bit from the world catching up with it, even in the decade or so since its publication. Written just as the internet was really starting to take off, the author's conception of the 'net of the late 21st century is both too weird and too banal compared to the reality even of today.

v

Journal Entry 5 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, July 25, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (7/25/2009 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Given to another bookcrosser at this morning's meetup.

v

Journal Entry 6 by The-Organist at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, May 27, 2010
Pretty sure I got this at an obcz.

Journal Entry 7 by The-Organist at Local passenger bus in Timaru, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (6/22/2010 UTC) at Local passenger bus in Timaru, Canterbury New Zealand

Left on seat in Marchwiel bus.