Flat Stanley

by Jeff Brown | Children's Books |
Registered by dododumpling of St. Neots, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on 2/13/2006
Journal Entry 1 by dododumpling from St. Neots, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Monday, February 13, 2006
My 100th book registered! And a true classic - Stanley as a kite is magical.

16 March 2006
Bookray!

Today is my second bookcrossing birthday so to celebrate I'm going to let Stanley travel around the world on an international bookray.

Please journal as soon as Stanley arrives with you so that we know he got through the postal system safely. I'm not including a paper journal with this (to keep costs down) so post as many journal entries and pictures as you like so that we can see what you and Stanley got up to. When it comes to sending Stanley on, surface/economy mail is fine, but please make a note in the JE so the person you're sending to has a rough idea of when to expect it.

Participants

Participants
Jedsmom, Newport, Wales
Vespa, England
tuftynut, England (UK postage only)
Korky, Milton Keynes, England (UK postage only)
Sudokris, Scotland
Mysteryfan03, Missouri, USA
Debnance, Texas, USA
Suefitz, Caifornia, USA
Enchantedvalise, California, USA
kbgoffe, Oregon, USA (mail USA and Canada only)
mnewman, Oregon, USA (mail anywhere)
rarsberry, Dunedin, New Zealand (mail NZ and Australia only)
kylieoz, Australia (mail anywhere)

Whew! That's a marathon trip. But it would be great if Stanley could keep moving once he reaches the end of the list! :)

Journal Entry 2 by dododumpling from St. Neots, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 24, 2006
Flat Stanley begins his journey with me in Eaton Socon, Cambridgeshire, in the east of England. Eaton Socon used to be a village but the boundaries have now merged with the town of St Neots.

St. Neots has a population of 27,000 and is about 70 miles north of London and 20 miles west of the university city of Cambridge.

Journal Entry 3 by dododumpling from St. Neots, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 24, 2006
Unfortunately, I don't have access to a digital camera or a scanner, so you'll just have to imagine Flat Stanley in these photos! (All photos found via a web search).

This is the village sign.

Journal Entry 4 by dododumpling from St. Neots, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 24, 2006
The sign is on the village green in front of the parish church.

Journal Entry 5 by dododumpling from St. Neots, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 24, 2006
The River Great Ouse flows through Eaton Socon and St Neots.

Journal Entry 6 by dododumpling from St. Neots, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 24, 2006
There's a nature reserve just to the north of the town - they found some mammoth bones there!

Journal Entry 7 by dododumpling from St. Neots, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 03, 2006
Stanley is all packed up and ready to go. He's got some provisions for the journey and will be heading westwards later this afternoon. Happy travels, Stan!

Journal Entry 8 by jedsmom from Newport, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, April 06, 2006
Stanley arrived safely in Risca this morning. He didn't get very hungry on his journey to spend some time with jedsbrother and jedsister so the provisions were still intact.

He will be travelling with us to Disneyland Paris on Easter Monday so he may get lucky and have some photos taken there.

Journal Entry 9 by jedsmom from Newport, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, July 09, 2006
Stanley really enjoyed Eurodisney, so much that he didn't want to come home with us. He met lots of the disney characters and went on an aeroplane and had a really good time.

I'm not sure how to upload pictures onto here so could someone please give me a few pointers. PM me!

On his way to Vespa.

Journal Entry 10 by AmeliaJane from Weymouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Monday, August 21, 2006
Stanley arrived here in sunny Weymouth this morning, just in time to accompany us on our day out ....but my mummy hasn't told me where we are going yet, so I will have to tell you all about it later

Journal Entry 11 by AmeliaJane from Weymouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Monday, August 21, 2006
Today we went to Bournemouth where we visited the Oceanarium - it's not as good as the Sealife Centre at Weymouth where my sister works, but we still had a nice day. Stanley was quite brave posing with the smaller fishes as you can see from the photo, but when we got to the sharks and the enormous turtles he got scared and wouldn't let mummy take his photo.

Journal Entry 12 by AmeliaJane from Weymouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Thursday, October 26, 2006
Flat Stanley has been having a wonderful time in Weymouth. On Friday evening my fairy godmother took me to the ballet as a treat and Stanley came too. It was The Nutcracker, danced by the Moscow Ballet company. We had a nice time, I think I want to be a ballerina when I'm bigger.
We have Tuftynuts address and mum is going to post him onwards on Monday. We have enjoyed having him to stay ....I hope he enjoyed his time with us

Journal Entry 13 by Tuftynut from Stepney, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 12, 2006
What great timing - Flat Stanley arrived with me on Thursday of last week about an hour before I was due to leave for a weekend in Spain so of course Flat Stanley was able to smuggle himself easily into my luggage and away we went to Nerja on the Costa del Sol.

Journal Entry 14 by Tuftynut from Stepney, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, December 17, 2006
Took Flat Stanley out for a walk along the river in my village this morning as it was such a lovely bright winter's morning and then a visit to the local church for the Carol Service. He'll be on his way to Korky this week for Christmas.

Journal Entry 15 by Korky from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, December 22, 2006
Stanley has arrived in Milton Keynes in time for Xmas, thanks Tuftynut. I'm looking forward to re-reading this as it's been a LONG time since I was under 10!

Journal Entry 16 by Korky from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 24, 2007
I loved reading this again, my favourite bit was when Stanley had to dress up as a shepherdess to foil the art thieves, he looks so peeved!
Stanley had a quiet Xmas apart from a near-theft by my brother,this was a book he had as a child and he came over all nostalgic, so he has been told he can get his own from www.flatstanley.com.

Journal Entry 17 by Korky from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 24, 2007
This is the Whisperers statue outside the main library in Central Milton Keynes where I work. Sorry no digital camera or scanner so pic nabbed from mkweb, just pretend Stanley is standing on one of the ladies knees.

Journal Entry 18 by Korky from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 24, 2007
Here are Milton Keynes most famous inhabitants the concrete cows. They've been here since 1978 and have had their share of pranks played on them, such as having pyjamas painted on, completely re-sparayed as zebras and even being stolen.

Journal Entry 19 by Korky from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 24, 2007
pm-ing Sudokris for address to keep Stanley moving.

Journal Entry 20 by Korky at post office in By Mail, BookCrosser -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, January 25, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (1/26/2007 UTC) at post office in By Mail, BookCrosser -- Controlled Releases

In the mail to Sudokris, enjoy!

Journal Entry 21 by SudoKris from Lathones, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, January 29, 2007
Stanley got here this morning, on a beautiful sunny wintery day. I was on my way to the Student's Union and the Uni Library, so he spent most of the day exploring the shelves. He also came for a coffee and met two of my friends.

And I must say, he's very well dressed indeed!

Journal Entry 22 by SudoKris from Lathones, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 11, 2007
I think it's time for an update.
While Stanley has been with me he has

1. been to Leeds. Unfortunately we forgot to take the camera :-( We went to a postgrad conference on Romantic heroes, and he listened eagerly. I think he now thinks he's also a bit of a hero.

2. been to just about every street in St Andrews. He particularly loves the castle and the cathedral, and he spends half of his time in my office.

3. been to Dundee to go shopping with me. He isn't too impressed with Dundee and much prefers St Andrews, but likes to go shopping once in a while.

4. learned to knit!

I think he's just about ready to move on. I'll send him on as soon as I've found out Thursday5's address :-)

You can see some of his adventures at here

ps: he also has a brand-new kilt to keep him cosy!

Journal Entry 23 by Thursday5 from Columbus, Ohio USA on Wednesday, June 06, 2007
Flat Stanley arrived today all rested up for his adventures with me. His first adventure will be a 24 hour relay I am running this weekend for the American Cancer Society as well as a Bookcrossing meet-up. I will probably keep him through the Independence Day celebrations and then send him on.

Journal Entry 24 by Thursday5 from Columbus, Ohio USA on Tuesday, July 10, 2007
Flat Stanley has had many adventures with me. The first thing Stanley did with me was to go to a Bookcrossing meet-up here in Ohio. Here is a picture of him with the pile of books we brought to trade.

Journal Entry 25 by Thursday5 from Columbus, Ohio USA on Tuesday, July 10, 2007
The second adventure that Flat Stanley had was to go to Cleveland for the annual bonspiel between the Columbus Curling Club and the Cleveland Curling Club. He got a little cold sitting on a bench by the ice without a sweater, but he cheered on my team and was proud of us when we won with the highest points of the weekend. Here is a picture of Stanley on a curling rock at the Cleveland Skating Club.

Journal Entry 26 by Thursday5 from Columbus, Ohio USA on Tuesday, July 10, 2007
Flat Stanley got to go to downtown Columbus to an outdoor arts event. Here is a picture of part of the the Columbus Skyline

Journal Entry 27 by Thursday5 from Columbus, Ohio USA on Tuesday, July 10, 2007
While in downtown Columbus Stanley could see the a replica of the Santa Maria, Christopher Columbus' flag ship.
To commemorate the 500th anniversary of Christopher Columbus's first voyage and the linking of the Old World with the New World, the City of Columbus, Ohio built a reproduction of Columbus's flagship, the Santa Maria.
The Santa Maria is on display in the center of downtown Columbus, Ohio. It is moored in the Scioto River at Battelle Park near the Broad Street Bridge. It is the world's most authentic, museum-quality representation of Christopher Columbus' flagship.

Journal Entry 28 by Thursday5 from Columbus, Ohio USA on Tuesday, July 10, 2007
The next adventure Flat Stanley had was join our Relay for Life team and stay awake all night as we ran to raise money for the American Cancer Society. Here he is with our team banner. Our team had 2 local people from Japan so our team banner was also in Japanese.

Journal Entry 29 by Thursday5 from Columbus, Ohio USA on Tuesday, July 10, 2007
Flat Stanley then had his biggest adventure of all. He went with me to Boston for the July 4 Independence Day holiday.
In this picture you can just see the steeple of the historic Old North Church.

Journal Entry 30 by Thursday5 from Columbus, Ohio USA on Tuesday, July 10, 2007
While in Boston Flat Stanley went to the Boston Common wich is now a big park right in the middle of the city, but originally it was a place to graze livestock. You can see the gold dome of the Old State House behind Stanley.

Journal Entry 31 by Thursday5 from Columbus, Ohio USA on Tuesday, July 10, 2007
Since he was at the Boston Common he had to go to ride the Swan Boats in the Public Garden just like in Robert McCloskey's book "Make Way for Ducklings".

Journal Entry 32 by Thursday5 from Columbus, Ohio USA on Tuesday, July 10, 2007
While in historic Boston Flat Stanley visited the historic tall ship the USS Constitution in Boston Harbor.

Journal Entry 33 by Thursday5 from Columbus, Ohio USA on Tuesday, July 10, 2007
The last excitement Flat Stanley had was attending the Boston 4th of July Independence Day events along the Charles River. We set up our blanket along the river right in front of MIT so that if it rained we could duck into my son-in-law's MIT lab. The Boston Pops Orchestra gave a 2 and a half hour concert and then we saw the best fireworks display I have ever seen.

Journal Entry 34 by Thursday5 from Columbus, Ohio USA on Tuesday, July 10, 2007
I hope Flat Stanley enjoyed his stay with me. He will will be going off to visit KarenZero via the US Postal Service today.

Journal Entry 35 by KarenZero from Maplewood, New Jersey USA on Sunday, July 15, 2007
Flat Stanley has arrived in Brooklyn, NY! I will update what we are up to shortly.

Journal Entry 36 by KarenZero from Maplewood, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, October 02, 2007
Stanley has been enjoying his visit here in Brooklyn, NY very much - that is why he has been here for so long! He apologizes for staying so long, but he will off on further adventures soon.

Pictures to come!

Journal Entry 37 by KarenZero from Maplewood, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, January 16, 2008
January is too cold here for Flat Stanley. He will be on his way shortly! He will post pictures soon.

Journal Entry 38 by Dove-i-Libri from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, February 08, 2008
Well, Lookie, Lookie here! Flat Stanley has arrived in sunny Florida with his kilt intact, but he may want to strip that off and run into the Gulf of Mexico for a nice warm swim or explore a tidal pool at sunset with Libretto #1 and our friend Simone ....

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

A tidal pool forms when the tide leaves in the evening, and the birds all come to eat the little fish and critters that get left behind ... snails and such!

Or maybe Flat Stanley would like to take a dip in the pool ....

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

OR maybe a rowboat ride on the lake behind our new house!

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Any of those things would be a fun thing to do on his first night here.

Where is here? Well, we're in Fort Myers, Florida:

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Let's see if we can find a better map:

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

And here's a nice picture of Ft Myers Beach!

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

We're going to the art museum on Wednesday next week, and shopping and to the beach, so maybe we can take pictures of Stanley and post them here! See you after we have more adventures to report!

Journal Entry 39 by Dove-i-Libri from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, February 15, 2008
Flat Stanley has been having a really busy week here ... We've taken photos, but they're the old fashioned kind and I have to wait to get them back from developing so I can scan them and add them here, but I will!

The first thing that Libretto #2 did was to make him a little NY Yankees baseball cap and put it on him ... it's held on with one strip of scotch tape, so it can easily be removed if someone wants to make a DIFFERENT fashion statement, but the cap, the tie and the kilt seem to have it goin' for Stan-the-man!

Stanley came with us to see the Picasso exhibit at the Naples Museum of Art ... and then he went with us to dinner at a restaurant.
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com (Traveling to Naples, Fla.)
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com (At the Picasso Exhibit)

He spent an afternoon in the yard with The Librettos, and they had to keep the herons and ibises away from him. Those silly birds thought he might be a tasty snack!
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com (NO JUMPING OFF THE DOCK< STANLEY!)

Then on February 14th, Stanley stowed away in the bow pocket of Libretto #1's bass case and headed out to the Valentines Concert at Cypress Lake High School.
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

He helped at the fund raiser selling chocolate and hugs!
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
...and he was very courteous and said "Thank You for Your Support!"
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

His favorite performance was the harp and violin performance of Schubert's Avé Maria ... sweet, very sweet. He sat quietly and was a wonderful audience member; very polite!
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Added later: Oh, man! Stanley is already packed inside his cozy envelope, and I just found out from "Indygo88" that he's on his way to very cold INDIANA! If I had known, I would have made him a NY Yankees WINTER COAT!

Edited to add: Photos added 3-18-08

Stanley is on his way FIRST CLASS to Indygo88 in INDIANA!

Journal Entry 41 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Saturday, February 23, 2008
YANKEES??! We're CUBS fans here!!!! :')

Stanley arrived just one day after a good snow...I'm gonna send him out now with the kids. Maybe he can help shovel?! (Oops! He got scooped up w/ the shovel!)

Note: I'm not very good at figuring out how to insert photos into these journal entries, so I'm apologizing ahead of time...either they'll probably not be very clear or they won't show up at all!

Journal Entry 42 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Saturday, March 08, 2008
Stanley sort of arrived at a noneventful period here in Indiana. I did take him to work with me (pediatric physical therapy clinic) & he had some fun on the physioball....

Journal Entry 43 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Saturday, March 08, 2008
Oh no Stanley! Don't get flattened any more than you already are....!

Journal Entry 44 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Saturday, March 08, 2008
Well, what kind of booklover would I be if I didn't take Stanley to a book club meeting?! (It's hard to see him, but he's in there!)

Journal Entry 45 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Saturday, March 08, 2008
Alrighty...Stanley is all packaged back up (I reused your packaging, DoveiLibri...you're always so creative!) & ready to be mailed back out. I enjoyed finally getting to see the actual Flat Stanley book -- kind of hokey, but cute in its own way. And I esp. enjoyed reading everyone else's journal entries & seeing the great photos. I think the Flat Stanley projects are a great idea & I look forward to seeing this Stanley's future travels! Thank you, dododumpling, for starting this wonderful ray! :')

Stanley will go out in Monday's mail, hopefully in time to go to Mexico with czersk! Happy travels!

Journal Entry 46 by Dove-i-Libri from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Tuesday, March 18, 2008
Hi, all! Just a quick note to let you know I've added some photos of Stanley's visit to Fort Myers, Florida! Stanley came out really shiny in the photos, so only a couple were useful, but they're there! (Note to self: REALLY try to get a digital camera!)

Journal Entry 47 by Czersk from Roscoe, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, May 14, 2008
It has been brought to my attention that I did not journal this book when I got it. I feel so bad! That was so long ago. My apologies to everyone. Anyway, Stan got here long ago and I have been a terrible BCer and I forgot all about him! I promise he will be out in the mail within the week! Thanks for your patience!

The Adventures of Flat Stanley
States Visited: Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico and Chihuahua in Mexico
Stanley arrived in St. Paul, Minnesota the second week of March at a time of much activity and high excitement. It was the week before spring break and everyone at Hamline University was madly preparing for midterms while trying to pack for their next week's adventures, which in our case was a mission trip down to Juarez, Mexico, a town right across the border from El Paso, Texas. It was difficult to make preparations without getting distracted from studying! Stanley patiently waited for the weekend to arrive while Czersk studied her books about Constantine, Thecla of Iconium, and Hillel the Elder long hours into the night. It was all worth it- the exams went extraordinarily well and when Saturday 4:00 a.m. rolled around, Stan departed with a large group of sleepy yet very excited college kids on a cross-country road trip extravaganza to Juarez, Mexico.

The ride down was incredibly exciting- no word game went unplayed and no Disney song unsung. There was never a dull moment! Once in Juarez there was a lot of work to do, walls to be painted, playgrounds to be built, children to entertain-- Stanley witnessed it all. And we cannot forget the ride home. Stanley, unlike the majority of the other 25 people, avoided illness (very violent flu-like illness), to his great relief.

Once back in Minnesota, Stan had the truly unpleasant experience of finding himself in the middle of a snowstorm when only 24 hours earlier he had been soaking up the sun and grass and leafy trees (granted there were only a few leafy trees and only small patches of grass in the desert, but they could be found!). This was Minnesota saying "Welcome Back! I betcha ya didn't miss me much!" And then it continued to snow until the beginning of May, with a few, short-lived reprieves. During this time Stan enjoyed the college life, like eating a lot of ramen noodles- especially on yoga nights (can't eat beforehand and the cafeteria is closed by the time its over) and internship nights after spending the evening at the Mt. Zion Temple library where both Czersk and Stan met a lot of truly wonderful people and learned a lot about small libraries and Jewish communities. Stan also learned the disadvantages of procrastination-- research papers should be begun more than 3 and a half weeks before they're due! He will not make this mistake when he goes off to college! But if he does, he knows the secret to succeeding in this time of high pressure and stress: carmel macchiatos with extra shots of espresso and a hazelnut flavor shot- don't forget the whip!

After surviving the semester, and moving back to the boring, rural, small-town life after spending months in the exciting Twin Cities, Stan has decided once again to move on while Czersk spends the summer working 3 jobs as a part-time florist, secretary, and short-order cook. She hopes Stan can have the adventures she doesn't have time for! So off you go Stan! Have fun in Texas!

Journal Entry 48 by debnance from Alvin, Texas USA on Tuesday, June 17, 2008
IMG_0139

It's hot in Texas this time of year!

Flat Stanley decided to cool off in my library.

Look what great books he found!

Journal Entry 49 by debnance from Alvin, Texas USA on Tuesday, June 17, 2008
IMG_0137

Flat Stanley found our 2007-2008 Bluebonnet books in the library.

He's having a hard time deciding which book to read!

Journal Entry 50 by debnance from Alvin, Texas USA on Tuesday, June 17, 2008
IMG_0135

Now Flat Stanley has discovered the cool favorite books quilt Mrs. Stevens' third grade class made! Wow! Super neat!

Be careful, Julianna! Don't let Flat Stanley fall!

Journal Entry 51 by debnance from Alvin, Texas USA on Friday, July 25, 2008
Stanley traveled with us to Yosemite this July.
It was our thirtieth wedding anniversary.

Journal Entry 52 by debnance from Alvin, Texas USA on Friday, July 25, 2008
We stopped in at the Tea Garden in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco.

Journal Entry 53 by debnance from Alvin, Texas USA on Friday, July 25, 2008
Stanley loved the food at Cha Cha Cha in San Francisco.

Journal Entry 54 by Suefitz from Saratoga, California USA on Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Stanley arrived last week - computer is just up and running well again. Now where to take him, decisions, decisions.