Breaking Vegas

by Ben Mezrich | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by book-man-8 of Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on 2/13/2006
Journal Entry 1 by book-man-8 from Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Monday, February 13, 2006
If you're into gambling - blackjack - you have to read this book. But also if you just like the idea of gambling and of outwitting the casinos (not cheating them!) it is worth reading. Funny and entertaining.

Released 13 yrs ago (5/19/2006 UTC) at Released by mail - controlled release in Bochum, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Sent to macdonv from Windsor, Ontario, Canada. She knows why...

Journal Entry 3 by macdonv from Windsor, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, May 30, 2006
This arrived today - thanks, book-man-8!

Statistics! Geeks! Blackjack! Threats of bodily harm! Who knew casinos could be such fonts of intrigue? :-) I look forward to reading this.

Journal Entry 4 by macdonv from Windsor, Ontario Canada on Saturday, November 18, 2006
Sending to Karenlea, because she asked so nicely. :-)

Journal Entry 5 by Karenlea from Glendale, California USA on Wednesday, November 29, 2006
Thank you, Thank you, thank you to macdonv!!!! This was a very unexpected suprise in the mail and it totally made my day. Ironically, I spent several hours last night compiling a list of "things to do in Las Vegas" for my husbands cousin who is going in January. Luckily, we are also going!!!

I absolutely cannot wait to read this book. I also promise to pass it along to someone else who will appreciate it.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Journal Entry 6 by Karenlea from Glendale, California USA on Thursday, December 07, 2006
This book was a very quick read and so much fun!!! I enjoyed reading about something that I would never have the balls to every try myself. It's also fun to read about the seedy side of Vegas. I love the glitz of Vegas, so it's good to see it from another view.

I will be passing this book along in the early new year. My Husband ( not a bookcrosser and a slow reader) really wants to read it. I told him that I would give him until the end of Janurary and then it's going to be given away to someone else who is interested.

A huge Thank You to both Book-Man-8 and MacdonV for sharing this wonderful book!!!

I am mailing this book off to AmyMS88 as a RABCK. She got married in Vegas one week after me in the same year. Pretty cool!!! Enjoy!!!

Journal Entry 7 by AmyMS88 from Wolfe City, Texas USA on Tuesday, March 27, 2007
Thanks so much, Karenlea! We are both looking forward to reading it. We are tentatively planning to go back to Vegas sometime later this year, so it might have a themed release then. Thanks for sending it!

Journal Entry 8 by AmyMS88 from Wolfe City, Texas USA on Monday, July 16, 2007
Finished this book this weekend. That was some crazy stuff. The methods they'd come up with were so simple but so brilliant. Not really something I could ever do. I know they were a bit nervous about exposing the secrets but I don't think that the average person would be able to pull it off. I certainly won't be trying it, anyway! I really didn't think today's casinos still had the "back rooms" - interesting to see that some of them do. Kinda scary.

I had thought Mezrich's other book, Bringing Down the House, was about this team, but I guess Semyon and Victor were actually part of a different group. I think this group's techniques were more advanced than the other group - it appears that they were just counting cards as a team. This seems entirely different from counting cards.

I could have done without the author's stories of researching and writing the book. Those chapters kind of took me out of the main story and were a little distracting. But I can live with that.

Thanks for sharing this! I'm passing it on to my husband and we'll try to release it in Vegas or theme it somehow.

Journal Entry 9 by AmyMS88 at Circus Circus Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada USA on Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (8/5/2008 UTC) at Circus Circus Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Heading out to Vegas this morning, this will be released at Circus Circus somewhere... If it's not journalled when we get back, I'll update!

Journal Entry 10 by AmyMS88 from Wolfe City, Texas USA on Sunday, August 10, 2008
Oops - change of plans - I didn't release this as Jeff wants to read it.

Journal Entry 11 by AmyMS88 at -- Lakes, ports, waterways, and ships, Texas USA on Saturday, February 20, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (2/20/2010 UTC) at -- Lakes, ports, waterways, and ships, Texas USA

Gave to Mom to release on the Carnival Ecstasy going to Cozumel.