BOOKRAY: No Matter How Much You Promise

by Edgardo Vega Yunque | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by book-man-8 of Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on 2/11/2006
Journal Entry 1 by book-man-8 from Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, February 11, 2006
This book is unique! 800 pages of wonderful writing. There is music in this book: real music and music in the words... Thats why it is also called "a symphonic novel". But it's not only music, it's about family affairs - and quite complicated and twisted ones. There is a lot of interesting aspects on the color of people and the non-relevance of skin color. And there is also a story of a traumatised Vietnam veteran. Marvellous writings, I repeat myself! I'm still regretting that the book came to an end! The author worked for 16 years on this epic novel - well, I would so much like to read a sequel to it, but I am not willing to wait 16 years. This is a book for truly lovers of the writing art! One of the three best books I've read in 2006.

I'm making a selective bookray out of this one!

The following readers take part in this ray:

"rumble-bee" from Velbert, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany (int'l) - she will be appropriately punished for holding this ray for 6 months!!!
"Pooker3" from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada (Canada / US, int'l surface - canoe?)
"perryfran" from Rockville, Maryland, USA (int'l)
"okyrhoe" from Athens, Greece (int'l)
"marko167" from Basel, Basel-Stadt, Switzerland (int'l)
???
"madnad" from Adeje, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain

From the time the book arrives in your hands, please try to send it on within 8 weeks. At the latest after 3 months. Thank you!

This book goes to rumble-bee. First stop. Please send it on within 6 weeks. Thanks and enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by rumble-bee from Velbert, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, August 28, 2006
Thank you so much, book-man-8, for letting me be a part of this truly marvellous Ray...
It's quite a weighty story, no..?? In more than one sense...!
But I'm really, really curious to see whether this is a latino version of Jonathan Franzen or not. Or whatever it is...
... it surely deserves a medal for "most unique book-title of the century"...!

I'm trying to fit this in somewhere soon.
Thanks again!!

Journal Entry 4 by rumble-bee from Velbert, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, March 02, 2007
Hello everyone -
first of all, I have to apologize for keeping this book so long; I really didn't mean to!!
What can I say, "real life" always seemed to get in the way.
and as this is quite a long book, I always tried to find the "perfect moment" to read it in one go. But that was impossible...!
Anyway, it is a remarkable piece of literature, and I'm considering buying it - which would be better, I think!

I will send this on next week.
I'm going to tell you more about it when I've bought it.

Please excuse me; and I hope you won't exclude me from bookrings in the future... !

Journal Entry 5 by Pooker3 from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, September 20, 2007
I was all excited to see a likely looking package in this morning's mail. I just love those kind of mail days. Wayyyy better than getting those window envelopes that always contain bills.
This book was in it! Even better!
And there's more. A funny postcard from Book-Man to Rumble-Bee. Thanks for leaving that in Rumble-Bee. Made me laugh, although I suspect that's me on the end pouting.
And a lovely black bookmark. Handmade? I have to tell you I'm tempted to keep that. But I'll be good and send it along too when I'm done. It just seems to suit the book.

800 pages eh? Best get started!

Journal Entry 6 by Pooker3 from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, October 29, 2007
Thought I'd pop in and let you know where I am so you all don't get antsy.
This book goes to bed with me every night and I'm loving every minute of it. =)
Weighty tome, so it helps to have a pillow to rest it on.
Trouble is, due to my current long days, I only get 10 or so pages read before I have to turn out the light. I've still got about 300 pages to go and I have no intention of skimming, so it will probably not be until mid November that I'll be able to send it on its way. My apologies to those waiting, but it will be worth the wait. Really.

I am relishing being immersed in this messy family. All of the characters, their situations and experiences ring very true and I just love the "Rican-ness" of the homegirls.
Although, being decidedly unmusical myself, it has taken me a while to pick up that beat but it's coming. I could hear Wyndell singing Don't Abuse your Drum clear as a bell.
Will check in later. Thanks book-man! I don't think I'll want the book to end either.

Journal Entry 7 by Pooker3 from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, November 21, 2007
Sigh...

I finished this novel this past weekend and although I have moved on to new books my thoughts still return to it. A really marvelous work. I truly did not want it to end.

Yet I have to say that as wonderful as it was for the first 750 pages or so I was disappointed in the ending. I felt it was rushed. It was almost as if the author had given his all in bringing us to the horrifying climax that he had nothing left to give and wanted to wrap things up, all nice and tidy, with a pretty ribbon.

All of the characters had become heartbreakingly real to me, even Papo and his peeps sadly understood. It was as if I was living amongst them, so utterly engaged was I. That ended though. It seemed to me that his characters were less affected by the truly terrible acts of violence than I as a reader was. And so while I am able to accept that Vidamia and the others are strong and resilient and life will go on for them, they became a little less human to me in their seeming overnight ability to do that.

That said, overall, I can't remember any novel that has been so engaging. I highly recommend it.

I am indebted to you book-man-8. Thank you!

I have perryfran's address and will get the book out to her on my next trip to the post office.

Journal Entry 8 by Pooker3 from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, November 24, 2007
On its way to perryfran today. Enjoy!

As an aside: Lately, I've caught myself humming, "Won't you come home Bill Bailey? Won't you come home?" Weird. :)

Journal Entry 9 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Monday, December 03, 2007
Found this in my mailbox today after returning from some Christmas shopping. I had about given up on this bookray until I heard from Pooker3 a few weeks ago - I thought this one was stalled for good. Anyway - thanks Pooker for sending it and book-man-8 for including me. This looks like it might take a little while (800 pages) and I do have a few books in front of it, but I'm hoping to get some serious reading done during the holidays so I'll try to get this out again soon!

Journal Entry 10 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Thursday, February 07, 2008
This has to be one of the most amazing books I have ever read! Sprawling in scope, yet it kept my interest throughout its entire 790 pages. The story of Vidamía, Billy Farrell and their life and family was actually quite simple and probably could have been told in a lot less pages, but it definitely would not have been the same experience.

I guess some would say the story rambled – it provided detailed histories of many of the lesser characters and seemed to jump all over the place at times. However, Yunqué pulled this off brilliantly. I really loved these histories of the characters, especially some of the details of Southern rural life as seen through the eyes of Pop Butterworth, Buck Sanderson, and Lurleen’s family. Some of the Buck Sanderson story was also very erotic including his early sexual encounters! Then there was the constant overlay of music and jazz in particular with guest appearances by Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Charlie Parker, etc. (Although I only listen to jazz on occasion, I had to go out and get a couple of Miles Davis CDs. I have really been enjoying them!)

I also loved all the information about New York Puerto Rican culture and the discussions about race and color (especially the arguments between Vidamía and Wyn about the meaning of being black and people of color). There was also the irony of how Vidamía learns more about her Puerto Rican culture by hanging out with her white half sister than from her Puerto Rican mother and stepfather.

As I was reading, I knew that the story was leading to a tragic conclusion but I was still shocked by its outcome. I thought the scene where Billy finally regained the memory he lost in Vietnam, the true story of why his friend was murdered and what led up to it was overwhelming. I was hoping that everything would work out for Billy and his family but the story reminds us that tragedy and pain can always intervene in life.

I know I will be thinking about this book in the weeks to come - there's a lot to ponder! Thanks book-man-8 for another great read. I'll be sending this off to okyrhoe in Greece tomorrow.

Journal Entry 11 by wingperryfranwing at Bookray in by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, February 07, 2008

Released 12 yrs ago (2/7/2008 UTC) at Bookray in by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

On its way to Athens, Greece. Hope you enjoy this one as much as I did!

Journal Entry 12 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Tuesday, February 26, 2008
Arrived in my p.o.box today. Thanks book-man-8 for includinig me in the ray and perryfran for posting the book to me!

Journal Entry 13 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Monday, April 21, 2008
I've had this book for almost two months now and I still haven't finished it. It's rare that I can't make my way to the end.
Maybe this book came to me at an inauspicious time, and I was not able to enjoy it up to this point (a little bit over half-way into the book).
Maybe also I was unwilling to immerse myself into the world of these characters. I really wanted to see how Billy will evolve, but at the same time I just wasn't convinced by Vidamia's character -- her motivations are authentic enough, but I am not so sure that a person her age can be a catalyst for the other characters in the manner presented here. Vidamia's positioning in the narrative just didn't sit right with me; she seems more of a construct meant to link up various segments/characters rather than a distinct element with her own voice.

-----
On its way to marko167.

Journal Entry 14 by marko167 from Sant Pere de Ribes, Barcelona Spain on Friday, May 02, 2008
Arrived a couple of days ago. It is a weighty tome so I can't promise to have it out quickly but will promote this to be my next bath book so hopefully it won't be too long.

Journal Entry 15 by marko167 from Sant Pere de Ribes, Barcelona Spain on Tuesday, August 12, 2008
This is just a quick note to apologise for the amount of time I am taking reading this book. I keep losing my concentration with it but don't want to give up as I think it is good. I am shortly going on holiday and will make one more attempt then. Success or failure will be met by the same response of posting it on upon my return.

Journal Entry 16 by marko167 from Sant Pere de Ribes, Barcelona Spain on Tuesday, November 04, 2008
Ten Ten Ten Eleven Twelve Thirteen

This book is stunning. It has made me expand my music collection, it has made me review my political views, it has made me look at myself and question myself. It is a masterpiece.

God... how to talk about it without spoiling the journey of future readers? It has taken me an age, I kept trying to read it but kept being blown back. I almost gave up. But finally I was hooked and am so happy I was.

This goes straight into my top ten ever books, and happily will I visit Vidamia, Cookie et al in the future.

Thank you for sharing.

M.

Journal Entry 17 by marko167 from Sant Pere de Ribes, Barcelona Spain on Tuesday, November 04, 2008
PMed sinang. Will send along immediately.

Journal Entry 18 by book-man-8 from Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Tuesday, November 25, 2008
As the last one on the first bookray-list did not answer, I started today a new list, so the book may travel on. The following bookcrossers read along:

"mrbaggins1" from Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa (worldwide)
"lauraloo29" from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (anywhere BUT CDN)
"the lucy-lemon" from Bangor, Gwynedd, United Kingdom (Europe)
"voveryte" from London, Greater London, United Kingdom (Europe)
"madnad" from Adeje, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain (Europe)

Journal Entry 19 by marko167 at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, January 12, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (1/12/2009 UTC) at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Off ,it flies to the land of biltong, diamonds and the fabulous Charlize Theron.

Journal Entry 20 by mrbaggins1 from Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Tuesday, March 03, 2009
This arrived today - nearly MIA - It's a huge book and there is no way I'll read this soon. What to do? I'll mail Marko167. I'd love to read it but maybe I must let it go and to next on the list - I have about three in front of this one and this will take me at least another month to read. So if I keep it It'll have to stay here for at least three months I would say. Oh deary me.

Journal Entry 21 by mrbaggins1 from Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Wednesday, March 18, 2009
I'm about a 150 pages into this and it's a lovely lovely book. It's going to take some time to get through it as I'm swamped with books. Reading this as well as two others, the one beings Obama's Dreams with my Father which is a very well written & interesting read.

Journal Entry 22 by mrbaggins1 from Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Saturday, March 28, 2009
I've finished the book early this morning and have reviewed it on my Live Journal site:

It's really a wonderful book and well worth reading. I've PM'd lauraloo29 so that the book can continie its journey.

Thanks for sharing

Journal Entry 23 by mrbaggins1 at Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Friday, April 03, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (4/3/2009 UTC) at Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa

Posted today to Lauraloo29 in Canada whose next on the list. Enjoy, it's a wonderful read

Journal Entry 24 by lauraloo29 from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, April 22, 2009
Arrived safe and sound today. Oh my it is a thick book! I have a few rings, but I am keeping them moving.

Journal Entry 25 by lauraloo29 from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 23, 2009
I wasn't expecting such a thick book. If I had no other bookrings, I would attempt it. But sadly, I do. This book will be on its way to the UK next week. Thank you for sharing!

Journal Entry 26 by lucy-lemon from Llandudno, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, June 08, 2009
Arrived a couple of days ago. This looks really interesting :-)

Journal Entry 27 by lucy-lemon from Llandudno, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Crikey, this didn't half take me a long time to read. And I loved the first three quarters of it, absolutely loved it. It was becoming my new favourite book, and I was planning on buying my own copy. I think I even liked the tangents as much as the main story. And then we came to the last few chapters. Hmmm. My first problem was that I felt that they were really rushed, like the author realised that he'd been writing the book for 16 years and couldn't be bothered to put in a few more months. That I could forgive (like I did with Harry Potter #7) but what I couldn't forgive (and this may be a SPOILER) was the way in which the characters just seemed to completely accept Billy and Fawn's (particularly Fawn, I kept forgetting she was actually dead) horrible deaths. I mean, it was Billy this and Billy that, but not once was there a mention of how the family, especially Lurleen, were coping with the murder of Fawn. Most strange.

But I am very glad to have had the chance to read this, thank you so much for sharing :-)

Journal Entry 28 by lucy-lemon at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (7/29/2009 UTC) at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Sent to voveryte to continue the ring.

Journal Entry 29 by voveryte from Woolwich, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, July 31, 2009
Received yesterday - really quick!
A warning though - it will be a while before I finish this, not because it's a huge book, but because I have few other ring/rays in front. But I really look forward to read this!
Thanks lucy-lemon for sending and book-man-8 for sharing!

Journal Entry 30 by voveryte at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 14, 2010
Such a powerful and absolutely amazing book that I've finished about a week ago.
Madnad asked to be skipped which leaves me as the last participant of the ray. I'll have to think of something really grand for this book with regards of future travels, but I also have one special person in mind...
We'll see...
Thanks everyone for making this possible for the book to travel all the way to my place!

Journal Entry 31 by Masha_Satunina at Nigniy Novgorod, Nigegorodskaya Oblast Russia on Tuesday, February 07, 2012
The book was sent to me by my wonderful friend Akvile from London. She highly recommended this book to me, and I am looking forward to read it.