Chocolat (Film Tie-in)

by Joanne Harris | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Inver of Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on 2/10/2006
Journal Entry 1 by Inver from Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, February 10, 2006
I loved this book. First of Joanne Harris I had ever read and definitely her best. A chocolate lovers fantasy in seductive France. Vianne Rocher opens a chocolate shop in the small village of Lansquenet opposite the church. The turmoil she causes opening such a shop is ultimate sin in the eyes of the local priest. Her descriptive writing of 'chocolate' is so good you can almost taste it. 'Rich, clever and mischievous, Chocolat is a literary feast for all the senses'. That says it all....mmmmmm.

Don't often give books a '10', but I enjoyed this one so much I feel it is worthy of one. Definitely one I will go back and read again.

My second copy of this I have given for release. I hope everyone enjoys this as much as I did.

*** Please make a journal entry to say it's arrived safely. Once read post a review, but not giving anything away and let us know if you enjoyed it or not. PM the next member on the list for their postal details. If you can please try to read, review and release the book within a month of receiving it, to help keep things moving along nicely. Make a journal entry note when you post it on. If you need to be moved further down the list/drop out etc, please let me know and I can rejuggle the order. ***

List for bookray:-

Thedoodler(UK - anywhere)
MieLH (Denmark-Europe pref)
Booberst (Germany)
C3 (Canada)
Cafekat (USA)
Sweetybeans (USA) <-----It's here, at its final destination

Journal Entry 2 by Inver from Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, August 28, 2006
This book is departing on its journey to various countries. I hope you all enjoy the book as much as I did. Read it, journal it and pass it on ..... but most of all

(*(*(*(*( H~A~P~P~Y R~E~A~D~I~N~G )*)*)*)*)

Remember this is a 'bookray' and that the last person on the circulation list keeps the book and is free to do with it whatever they so wish.

On its way to 'Thedoodler' 28/08/06.

Journal Entry 3 by thedoodler from Harold Wood, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, September 02, 2006
I am first to journal this book in a bookring.
I rather enjoyed it although there was too much French in it for me. I kept having to look things up, and it detracted from the book. I am still pleased to have read it and would recommend it. A sample of the chocolate would be very acceptable!!! An interesting author, I will be reading more of hers in the future. Passing this on to Mielh 02 Sept 06

Journal Entry 4 by MieLH from Odense, Fyns Amt Denmark on Saturday, September 09, 2006
The book has arrived at my doorstep :) It looks very inviting and I hope to be able to start reading it soon. Thank you for letting me play along and for sending this to me :)

UPDATE 17. Oct. '06: I've PM'ed Booberst today for forwarding address :) I still need to read the last third of this book, but I hope to make it travel soon.

Journal Entry 5 by MieLH from Odense, Fyns Amt Denmark on Monday, October 23, 2006
This book was difficult for me to read. There were many words I didn't understand (mostly the french as well as the odd english one!). But the book still made a great impact on me. Especially the last half of the book. But it's usually like that with me and books. It always take me a while to really get into it.

Thank you for letting me into this world :) I'll pass the book to booberst tomorrow. I hope it arrives safely in Germany soon :)

Journal Entry 6 by nachdenker from Rostock, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern Germany on Tuesday, October 31, 2006
It arrived yesterday and now I am looking forward reading it. Thanks for sending the book along!

Journal Entry 7 by C3 from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, April 23, 2007
This arrived on Friday, but haven't been near the computer to journal it yet. I am enjoying it so far - just having some trouble with the French words.

I will PM Cafekat for her address and hope to send it on by the end of the week.

Journal Entry 8 by C3 from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, May 01, 2007
I loved this book. Since I had watched the movie years ago, I knew the basic plot line, but this was so much better since it had more detail and background. I found the characters to be believable and fun.

Thank you to Inver for hosting the Book Ring.

*******
I had trouble finding time to read it, which is why it took so long to get it finished. It has now been sent on to Cafekat.
*******

Journal Entry 9 by cafekat from Rotonda West, Florida USA on Thursday, May 17, 2007
cafekat finds CHOCOLAT has safely arrived in her mailbox this afternoon! Looking forward to reading this. How did I miss that there was a movie based on this novel? AND it starred Johnny Depp?? Where have I been?
Thanks Inver, for hosting and to all the others ahead of me who have taken care of the book. When I finish, it will make it's way to Sweetybeans......til later......

Journal Entry 10 by cafekat from Rotonda West, Florida USA on Sunday, May 20, 2007

"There is a kind of sorcery in all cooking: in the choosing of ingredients, the process of mixing, grating, melting, infusing and flavouring, the recipes taken from ancient books, the traditional utensils - the pestle and mortar with which my mother made her incense turned to a more homely purpose, her spices and aromatics giving up their subtleties to a baser more sensual magic. And it is partly the transience of it that delights me; so much loving preparation, so much art and experience put into a pleasure which can last only a moment, and which only a few will ever fully appreciate."

I was a "goner" after these two sentences. I couldn't put the book down. Great story, great character development and having grown up in the "Bible Belt", the whole "Church not Chocolate" battle was very real and sad to me.

Thanks again Inver. I'll be PMing Sweetybeans for her address right about now...

Journal Entry 11 by Inver from Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, May 21, 2007
So glad you have all been enjoying the book....one person to go to complete my first bookray. Thanks everyone.

Journal Entry 12 by cafekat at By mail in By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (5/22/2007 UTC) at By mail in By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

sent to sweetybeans for it's last stop in the bookray...ENJOY!!

Journal Entry 13 by sweetybeans from Cottage Grove, Oregon USA on Friday, May 25, 2007
just received in the post today :) i have one book ahead of this. will get to asap ;)

Journal Entry 14 by sweetybeans from Cottage Grove, Oregon USA on Sunday, March 21, 2010
I finally read this book. Sorry it has taken so long. I think I put it off because of how much I LOVE the movie. Usually I read a book and the movie falls flat and I don't care for it anymore. However, I was surprised by how much of the book was the same. The movie captured the feel of the book very well, YET it was in many ways a different story. Some of the events were very different and some were just switched around a bit. Thank you for sharing this book with me. I am sending it off to the staffroom bookshelf.