The Historian

by Elizabeth Kostova | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by tobysrus of Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on 2/8/2006
Journal Entry 1 by tobysrus from Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, February 08, 2006
Bought it recently. Have heard good things about it and cannot wait to read it!

Journal Entry 2 by tobysrus from Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, February 11, 2006
A RABCK in honor of my one year bookcrossing anniversary! Happy reading! On the way shortly to conto in Portugal!

Journal Entry 3 by tobysrus from Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, March 11, 2006
WOW! Great book....probably the best I've read year to date. At 642 pages it looks daunting at first, but once you get into it you are hooked. I like the switching back and forth between the three story lines/points of view. I liked how the storyline evolved like a puzzle falling into place. The short chapters kept the story moving forward. All in all a very good read!

Journal Entry 4 by tobysrus at Post Office in By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, March 11, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (3/11/2006 UTC) at Post Office in By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

A RABCK on its way to conto in Portugal in honor of my 1 year BC anniversary. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by conto from Lisboa (city), Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Thursday, March 16, 2006
And it already arrived! That was quick!!!

So... this is my amazing prize for entering tobysrus' anniversary RABCK draw!
Tahnk you so very, very much tobysrus and I just hope you'll have lots and lots of great years as BCer and, of course as a reader!

I think it will take some time before I can get to this one, once I've got a bit too much involved with BC and joined a bit too many bookrings and rays... they are kind of "falling" from all over right now, and of course I'll have to read those first as there's other people waiting for them.
(oh! But how I wanted to get my hands on it right now!!!)
Also, it IS way too big just to carry it around with me and read it through my lunch times and on the way to and from work... It will have to wait!

I'll let you know when I start it, anyway!

Journal Entry 6 by conto from Lisboa (city), Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Thursday, July 13, 2006
Well, not starting it just yet (still piling down my BRings/Rays TBR, I'm afraid!) but had to come here and post one image of the symbol of The Order of The Dragon which is very important to understand what the characters are talking about, at some point of the narrative, or so a friend of mine that just finished this book says.

Here it goes then, and it'll be waiting for the time I can finally get to read this huge book!

Journal Entry 7 by conto from Lisboa (city), Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Sunday, September 24, 2006
And I finally did it!
I started a while ago, but then went away on holydays (Thought I would be able to finnish it before going but couldn't and then decided against taking it because of its weight) and was able to end it only now.

Liked it quite a lot, all along its 600 and something pages, but the final ones were a bit of a disappointment: it ended in a crude kind of way, a sudden one and a bit improbable one as well (if such a word in even conceiveble when one's talking about such a book!... I mean improbable considering the context of the story).
But I liked all the development until then, I liked the thorough descriptions of every place, monument and scenery and absolutelly liked the different characters that are presented, their minutious characterisation, etc. (although strange, within the story of course, that no one acts strangely when hearing their tale).

Quite a good read indeed, everything considered.

Thanks a lot tobysrus, once more, for this opportunity.

(and here goes the portrait of Dracula, as well described throughout this book)
_______________________________________

I'd forgotten to come here and say so, but I lended out this book to a friend a while ago... waiting for its return.