Kitty and the Midnight Hour

by Carrie Vaughn | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by woosang of Campbelltown, New South Wales Australia on 3/7/2006
Journal Entry 1 by woosang from Campbelltown, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, March 07, 2006
Description: VAMPIRES. WEREWOLVES. TALK RADIO. Kitty Norville is a midnight-shift DJ for a Denver radio station—and a werewolf in the closet. Sick of lame song requests, she accidentally starts "The Midnight Hour," a late-night advice show for the supernaturally disadvantaged. After desperate vampires, werewolves, and witches across the country begin calling in to share their woes, her new show is a raging success. But it’s Kitty who can use some help. With one sexy werewolf-hunter and a few homicidal undead on her tail, Kitty may have bitten off more than she can chew…

Released 13 yrs ago (3/13/2006 UTC) at Given to a BC'er in -- Controlled Release, New South Wales Australia

Vampire Bookring

sally906 (Australia_NT)
AmberC (Australia_NT)
bargainqueen (Australia [SA])

Back to Woosang

Journal Entry 3 by catsalive from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, March 16, 2006
Thankyou.

Journal Entry 4 by catsalive from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, June 17, 2006
I really enjoyed this one. I had to read it straight through. Kitty Norville is an excellent character & I'd love to read more about her. It's a bit different from the usual werewolf/vampire books & a great story written in 250 pages instead of dragging on for the usual 400.

Thanks, woosang. I loved it. I'll send it back with the others.

Journal Entry 5 by catsalive from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, July 04, 2006
On its way home today.

Journal Entry 6 by woosang at Controlled Release in Picton, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (7/18/2006 UTC) at Controlled Release in Picton, New South Wales Australia

Staring on its European leg of its ring

Journal Entry 7 by Rianonne from Wien Bezirk 22 - Donaustadt, Wien Austria on Thursday, September 14, 2006
Arrived safe and sound with 4 other BookRings in Vienna today. Woosang just made my day!!!!!

Just when I was so proud of having reduced the BookRings to 4 books, a new parcel arrives :-p So they will be fit into my TBR-BookRings-Mt. and hopefully I will see them re-appear on the top soon ...
Can't wait to read them LOL

Journal Entry 8 by Rianonne from Wien Bezirk 22 - Donaustadt, Wien Austria on Friday, October 06, 2006
Kitty is absolutely one of the best and most enjoyable heroines in the supernatural reads, so far ! I enjoyed how she developes from a cub to a grown wolf, standing her ground. Kitty is a really nice brave character and also smart - maybe a little bit too philosophical, being able to instantly deliver wise advice on the radio ... But, well, this is a fantasy and the characters don't have to be completely realistic.
What else I enjoyed:
- the sign-off for Kitty's show is a recording of her own wolf howl
- The hints (I hope they are hints LOL) of more species to come - at the end, after homo sapiens sanguinis and homo sapiens lupus, there's a mention of homo sapiens pinnipedia (I have to refresh my biology and Latin I have to confess)
- The preview of the next book, which includes a caller to the talk show who thinks he's a were-alpaca *gg*

I can't wait to read the sequel "Kitty Goes to Washington" and on Carrie Vaughn's website it says that her publisher has asked for books 3 & 4 featuring Kitty *woohoo*

The book will move on to Amberkatze at the BC-Ladies Night on the 20th October

Journal Entry 9 by Amberkatze from Wien Bezirk 10 - Favoriten, Wien Austria on Friday, October 20, 2006
Thank you Rianonne for passing this on to me with the lovely vamp labels!!! I will be making good use of them!

Thanks Woosang for this ring...I have been very tempted to buy this book over the last few months but I held out and can't wait to read this one. I am hoping to read it over the weekend so hopefully the book will be travelling again by Friday!

Journal Entry 10 by Amberkatze from Wien Bezirk 10 - Favoriten, Wien Austria on Sunday, October 22, 2006
This was a great read and I can't wait for the next installment!! I was really impressed with the whole storyline, characters and writing style and if it hadn't been so late and I hadn't have been so tired last night I would have read it all in one sitting!

I liked the ending too! Didn't give away too much but enough for you to want more! I did a quick search at Wikipedia...

Pinnipeds = "fin-feet", lit. "winged feet"
I guess the other creatures could be Mermaids?

Thanks for letting me take part in this ring! I will be sending the book on to Morgaine77 either this week or next week. Waiting to get enough packages to make a post office trip :)

Journal Entry 11 by Morgaine77 from Münchenstein, Baselland Switzerland on Sunday, November 05, 2006
I didn't empty my mailbox yesterday because usually I get no mail on Saturdays anyways. For some reason today I went down to check anyways - and found this book! Cool!
And yeah, as if I don't have enough bookrings already here... LOL I'm really curious about this one, though. Will have to go to the bottom of my Mount TBR first.

Journal Entry 12 by Morgaine77 from Münchenstein, Baselland Switzerland on Wednesday, February 14, 2007
Just finished reading this during my lunch break... What a cute and quick read! I agree with the others, that was very enjoyable. The radio show parts seemed very realistic to me and gave me a few chuckles...

Thanks so much for sharing, will pass on to joasik soon.

Travelling by surface mail to joasik in the Netherlands.

Journal Entry 14 by joasik from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, March 11, 2007
Got it. Have a few bookrings to read before that one still.

I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would have. It was a bit chaotic.

Journal Entry 15 by joasik at on Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (5/9/2007 UTC) at

Sending to Joanne.

Journal Entry 16 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, May 23, 2007
YEA!!!! This arrived today. I think it will move to the top of the TBR list because I have been hanging on to the second of the series for a while now.

Thanks for sending it to me.

Journal Entry 17 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, May 29, 2007
Better than I expected, actually. There was both enough action and story line to keep me interested.

Sending a PM to Maplesflower now to confirm that she really wants this book.

Edit June 1: Sent today

Journal Entry 18 by MaplesFlowers from Nashville, Tennessee USA on Wednesday, June 06, 2007
thanks for sending the book, Joanne! Thanks to Woosang for sharing them. I hope to get to them as quickly as possible. I do have a few in front of them tho!

Journal Entry 19 by MaplesFlowers from Nashville, Tennessee USA on Sunday, July 08, 2007
I read both Kitty books while camping last week. I wasn't sure if I really wanted to read book #2, but once I got into it, I was glad that I did. It isn't one of the best series I've ever read, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be at the beginning. Thanks for sharing! Waiting on cathepsut's address to send this on to her.

Journal Entry 20 by sally906 from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Wednesday, August 15, 2007
Arrived in the mail yesterday - and am already halfway through it as having a meet-up with amberC on Saturday so can pass it straight on :)

Released 12 yrs ago (8/17/2007 UTC) at Jamaica Blue Coffee Shop in Casuarina, BC meetup -- Controlled Releases

Will take it to the meet-up and pass to AmberC

Journal Entry 22 by sally906 from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Friday, August 17, 2007
Whew - quick read - but a really good story - now I am going to have to look for the next few in the series - because I don''t think I am on any bookrings for them :)

Very interesting concept - the relationships between humans and the paranormal, and werewolves and vampires - Kitty is the sort of girl I would like as a pal - as long as she remembered I was a friend when she was having a "wolie" moment and didn''t try to eat me.

Passing on to AmberC today

Journal Entry 23 by wingamberCwing from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Friday, August 17, 2007
One of 2 bookrings picked up at the meet-up.

Journal Entry 24 by wingamberCwing from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Saturday, August 25, 2007
I ddin't enjoy this as much as I had expected to. Not sure why.

Posting to bargainqueen later in the week.

Journal Entry 25 by bargainqueen from Avondale, Queensland Australia on Friday, September 07, 2007
Arrived safely thanks. I have one ahead of it but as I am last on this one I hope it won't matter too much. Shouldn't be too long anyway. Thanks for sending!

Journal Entry 26 by bargainqueen from Avondale, Queensland Australia on Saturday, September 22, 2007
Just finished this and really enjoyed it. It reminded me of earlier Anita Blake with less heroism. Or should that be heroinism. I am however quite disappointed by the death of a key player. But enough said.
As the Melbourne Convention is on in 2 weeks (YAY YAY YAY!!) I will bring this along with me to hand back to Woosang, unless you want it home earlier? Let me know if you do.
Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 27 by woosang from Campbelltown, New South Wales Australia on Monday, October 08, 2007
Thrust into my hands scaring me and making me shriek in surpirse. Thanks for the return. :)