N.P.

by Banana Yoshimoto | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingjarewing of Port Richey, Florida USA on 2/4/2006
Journal Entry 1 by wingjarewing from Port Richey, Florida USA on Saturday, February 04, 2006
I loved Kitchen, so bought this for myself as a reward for losing and keeping off five pounds last week! This one sounds just weird enough to really satisfy my taste!

From the inside flap:

A celebrated Japanese writer has committed suicide, leaving behind a collection of stories writen in English, N.P. But the book may never be published in his native Japan: each translator who takes up the ninety-eighth story chooses death too--including Kasami Kano's boyfriend, Shoji. Haunted by Shoji's death, Kazami is inexorably drawn to three young people whose lives are intimately bound to the late writer and his work. Over the course of an astonishing summer, she will discover the truth bedhind the ninety-eighth story--and she will come to believe that "everything that had happened was shockingly beautiful, enough to make you crazy."

Journal Entry 2 by wingjarewing from Port Richey, Florida USA on Sunday, September 02, 2007
This was a great read! Dark, sad, but at the same time, uplifting and light-hearted. Yoshimoto has such a magical gift with words, I will have to get more of her stuff! I will give this to Gillianne tomorrow when she comes over for dinner.