Night (Oprah's Book Club)

by ELIE WIESEL | History |
Registered by HoserLauren of Burlington, Ontario Canada on 2/3/2006
Journal Entry 1 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Friday, February 03, 2006
Picked this up as it's part of Oprah's bookclub. I don't know if I'm ready for such a horrific story right now, so I'm going to put it away and come back to it later.

From Amazon:
In Nobel laureate Elie Wiesel's memoir Night, a scholarly, pious teenager is wracked with guilt at having survived the horror of the Holocaust and the genocidal campaign that consumed his family. His memories of the nightmare world of the death camps present him with an intolerable question: how can the God he once so fervently believed in have allowed these monstrous events to occur? There are no easy answers in this harrowing book, which probes life's essential riddles with the lucid anguish only great literature achieves. It marks the crucial first step in Wiesel's lifelong project to bear witness for those who died.

Journal Entry 2 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Thursday, August 30, 2007
Wiesel is a Holocaust survivor and pens his memories of those horrendous times in Night. Wiesel and his father stayed in Auschwitz for a period of time, but were also shuffled to and from other camps. He saw babies being burned, people being shot, men starving, and any other human atrocity you can think of.

I can't really even try to review this book, because what I say won't do the book or the subject justice. How can you review a personal account of the Holocaust anyways? It is unbelievable that a human being could do such things to other human beings. What Wiesel describes is at some times so violent and despicable that it is hard to understand such things could happen.

The writing of the book is very fluid and at times even poetic. It is not for the weak of heart though, as it is quite depressing.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, August 30, 2007
This book is with me now:)

Journal Entry 4 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, September 06, 2007
What a powerful small book. Wiesel was born in Transylvania. In 1944 at the age of fifteen he and his family were rounded up and transported to Auschwitz and then Buchenwald.

Wiesel recounts the hardships and cruelty of the 'final solution'. He tells his story with a clarity that is hard to read about. He questions the obediance of the Jews and explains what happened. He relates very matter of factly about the transport, life in the concentration camps, the forced marches and finally his release.

It is very hard to review such a dramatic book. I will let Wiesel tell it himself.

"Never shall I forget that night, the first night in camp, that turned my life into one long night seven times sealed.
Never shall I forget that smoke.
Never shall I forget the small faces of the children whose bodies I saw transformed into smoke under a silent sky.
Never shall I forget those flames that consumed my faith forever.
Never shall I forget the nocturnal silence that deprived me for all eternity of the desire to live.
Never shallI forget those moments that murdered my God and my soul and turned my dreams to ashes.
Never shall I forget those things, even where I condemned to live as long as God himself.
Never"

I would add, never shall I forget this book.

Journal Entry 5 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Mailed today to Danesnboxers as part of the Non-Genre Swap.