The Postman Always Rings Twice

by James M. Cain | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by vc-mike of Ventura, California USA on 2/1/2006
Journal Entry 1 by vc-mike from Ventura, California USA on Wednesday, February 01, 2006
This is a classic mystery, written in 1934 !!
The movie was great in it's day !

Journal Entry 2 by vc-mike at The Underground, 3367 Telegraph Rd. -- CLOSED in Ventura, California USA on Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (2/1/2006 UTC) at The Underground, 3367 Telegraph Rd. -- CLOSED in Ventura, California USA

I'm in the new OBCZ !! The bookcase in the back!

Journal Entry 3 by katintheboots on Wednesday, February 08, 2006
I've always heard of this one but never read it...I look forward to it!

Journal Entry 4 by katintheboots on Sunday, February 12, 2006
One of the classic noirs...the mystery isn't who did it, but will they get away with it. I've seen Cain's writing style compared to Hemingway, but honestly I prefer Cain.

Journal Entry 5 by katintheboots on Monday, February 13, 2006
After reading the release notes for Couplehood, vc-mike noticed that he had recently released one of the books on dittybopper's wish list to one of our local OBCZs. He grabbed it back and passed it along to me, and this evening I put it in the mail as an RABCK for dittybopper. I hope she likes it!

Journal Entry 6 by dittybopper from Hammond, Louisiana USA on Friday, February 17, 2006
katinthebooks and vc-mike - THANK YOU! :p If you had been at the post office when I picked up this little gem, you would both have been running for cover 'cause I woulda kissed ya both. I'm just getting over a particularly nasty case of strep throat that had me feeling down in the dumps (so that's partly why you both would have been running for cover LOL!). Your 'kindness in an envelope' could not have come at a better time. This one is next on my list to read. Thanks again!

Journal Entry 7 by dittybopper from Hammond, Louisiana USA on Saturday, February 18, 2006
Wow! I was so eager to read this one that I started it immediately after finishing my last book, which I was almost finished with anyway. The book had a very 'film noir' feeling about it - I could picture the characters living their lives in black and white. I have not seen the movie version of this story starring John Garfield and Lana Turner and I'm glad I didn't see it before reading the book - it (the 1946 movie) is next on my list of films to purchase. I did, however, see the 1981 version of the movie starring Jack Nicholson and Jessica Lange which is what sparked my interest in reading this book in the first place. It will be interesting to compare both movies to the book.

I like Mr. Cain's style. He holds nothing back and tends to be very blunt. His characters are not complicated - they are just what they are - naive and old-fashioned (Mr. Papadakis), confused, slightly insane, conflicted (Cora), and self serving, ruthless, and thrill-seeking (Frank). There is no guessing. The twists and turns in the plot are well thought out as well. I LIIIKKKEED it! LOL!

I'm sending this little gem on to Butterfly-Noir (seems most appropriate, don't you think?) as a surprise RABCK. I hope this little 58-year-old Pocket Book, Inc. book will continue to give others pleasure for years to come. (Mailed Monday, Jan. 27th.)

Journal Entry 8 by butterfly-noir from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Thursday, April 20, 2006
arrived yesterday... what a wonderfull surprise. not only its great to receive an unexpected offer, but I really love "lived" books

Journal Entry 9 by Huntgodess from Barreiro, Setúbal Portugal on Tuesday, August 01, 2006
Buttefly-noir took this book with us on a trip, and forgot it in my bag.
So I'm reading it and then I'll give it back to her, cause she hasn´t read it yet.

I'm getting very curious about this book

Journal Entry 10 by Huntgodess from Barreiro, Setúbal Portugal on Tuesday, August 08, 2006
I liked the book.
I spent most of my time thinking why is it considered a suspense thriller.
I think mistery is a better category.
I inicialy thougth that it was a kind of policial mystery, or court mystery (like an agatha cristie or perry mason), but in the reverse, cause you know what happend, you know who did it, but the question is are they getting away with it?

In the end there's a little twist that make you wonder...

Will pass it back to butterfly-noir soon

Journal Entry 11 by butterfly-noir from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Sunday, September 24, 2006
its back whit me.

Journal Entry 12 by butterfly-noir from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Wednesday, October 01, 2008
I finally read it!

I really enjoyed this book, the tension in the between the caracthers is reaaly well built. the difence between real classic noir and "new noir wanna bes is so obvius after I've read this one. theres nothung like the real deal.

it will continue to travel, I'm not sure how yet

Journal Entry 13 by wingsoffitta1wing from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, November 15, 2008
Thanks for sending me this!

An interesting read. A drifter falls in love with Cora, the married lady of the house. A book about lust and consequences.

Journal Entry 14 by wingsoffitta1wing from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Friday, December 26, 2008
sent to davemurray101 09/01/09

Journal Entry 15 by davemurray101 from Lower Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Recieved today in fantastic conditon. A vintage pocket book as well. Really looking forward to this one thanks to SOffita1

Journal Entry 16 by davemurray101 from Lower Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, January 25, 2009
One of the great suspense thrillers. Huge amounts of intrigue, car accidents, extramarital affairs. The characters of the time are great - the american itinerant, the failed movie actress and the greek cafe owner. A real product of its time.

Journal Entry 17 by davemurray101 at Maryville, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, December 04, 2014
Leaving the shelf and on way to Von schwan2203

Journal Entry 18 by davemurray101 at 1001-Library Member, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, December 04, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (12/4/2014 UTC) at 1001-Library Member, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Posted to Von schwan2203 in Germany.

Journal Entry 19 by schwan2203 at Hamburg, Hamburg Germany on Tuesday, April 11, 2017
Received some tima ago, thanks for sending