The Photograph

by Penelope Lively | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0142004421 Global Overview for this book
Registered by HoserLauren of Burlington, Ontario Canada on 1/22/2006
Journal Entry 1 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, January 22, 2006
I picked this up from Chapters with a gift certificate from xmas. This one has the Canadian cover rather than the one shown.

From Amazon;
While searching through a closet, Glyn discovers a photograph of his wife, Kath, secretly holding hands with her brother-in-law. He can't demand an explanation, for Kath has been dead for a year. Instead, he sets out to query all who knew her, thereby unleashing a cascade of unintended consequences. This thoughtful story by the exquisitely talented English novelist Penelope Lively is about how little we attend to the people we purport to love. It's a book with a surface calm and an undercurrent of tension. Husband and wife narrators Gerroll and Kalember read adequately, even well sometimes, yet overall, they are too affected by the story's apparent placidity. They both employ an uninflected tone and do not differentiate between voices. One doesn't want drama, just some sense of engagement. Then again, the book is about how distant we are from each other, so perhaps they're just right.

Journal Entry 2 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, July 07, 2018
Got about 50 pages through this one before I gave up. While there were snippets of a story, it was all pieced together with a whole lot of rambling. The whole story sparks off with a picture of a guy's wife being held a bit too closely by his brother-in-law. But it seemed to be a bit neurotic. Not for me!