A Carra King (A Matt Minogue Mystery)

by John Brady | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 155278164x Global Overview for this book
Registered by winggypsysmomwing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 1/22/2006
Journal Entry 1 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, January 22, 2006
I picked this book up at the St. Vital library book sale. The cover is a little the worse for wear but I couldn't resist a mystery written by a Canadian that is set in Ireland.

Journal Entry 2 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, March 08, 2009
This book reminded me a lot of Ian Rankin's Rebus books of which I am a fan. Matt Minogue is an Inspector with the Murder Squad in Dublin so when a body is found in the trunk of a car at the airport long term parking lot he and his partner, Tommy Malone, are almost the first on the scene. When the body is found to be the son of a millionaire expat the heat is turned up to solve the crime and Minogue is told to spare no expense. The problem is that the deceased, after mingling with high society in Dublin, seemed to drop off the face of the earth until his body turned up. In trying to discover what he did in the intervening days Minogue discovers that an historian who has been responsible for the Carra Fields site has also disappeared. The Carra Fields were a settlement of farmers long before it was thought civilized settlements were created. The farmers were ruled by a Carra King who was chosen by having eligible bachelors carry a large stone up a hill. Minogue knows the historian and the deceased had met in Dublin because they have pictures of them and Minogue thinks the historian may have gone to the Carra Fields with the deceased. The reason for the murder and the subsequent violence is all tied up with the Carra Fields.

I found the language a bit hard to follow at times as Brady uses lots of colloquialisms but it certainly does add to the ambience. I wouldn't say Brady is as skilful a writer as Rankin but his storycraft is quite good and this was an engrossing read. Anyone who is interested in Ireland (which is one of my favourite countries) will enjoy this book. I know I'll be looking for more Matt Minogue mysteries.

I am going to release this book for the Irish challenges being held right now.

Journal Entry 3 by winggypsysmomwing at Shannon's Irish Pub in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, March 13, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (3/13/2009 UTC) at Shannon's Irish Pub in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I left this book in the entrance off Carlton Street just at the head of the stairs. This release is for KarmelK's Celebrate the Irish challenge (I left the bookmark KarmelK sent me last year for particpating in the challenge inside the book) and for aetm's International St. Patrick's day release challenge.