About a Boy

by Nick Hornby | Humor |
Registered by wubbaducky of on 1/20/2006
Journal Entry 1 by wubbaducky from not specified, not specified not specified on Friday, January 20, 2006
I know it's bloke's fiction but it still had me chuckling. I've not seen the film but I'm sure Hugh Grant made an excellent Will - selfish, childish, needy, egocentric... Will's relationship with Marcus leads him on a journey of painful self-discovery amidst some very funny moments.

Journal Entry 2 by wubbaducky at Book Relay in Book Relay, A Book Relay -- Controlled Releases on Monday, February 20, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (2/19/2006 UTC) at Book Relay in Book Relay, A Book Relay -- Controlled Releases

Just Books III relay http://bookrelay.com/relay.php?id=48

Journal Entry 3 by Forza-St-Pauli from Hamburg, Hamburg Germany on Friday, February 24, 2006
Thanks for the book !

Journal Entry 4 by Komsomolskij from Dannenberg, Niedersachsen Germany on Monday, June 05, 2006
thanx

Journal Entry 5 by Kikoyu from Strausberg, Brandenburg Germany on Monday, October 16, 2006
...bleibt in der Bookbox von Qantaqa

Journal Entry 6 by Qantaqa from Dachau, Bayern Germany on Saturday, December 02, 2006

Journal Entry 7 by Qantaqa from Dachau, Bayern Germany on Saturday, January 13, 2007
Since I already have a copy of my own (and I love it!), I'm offering this as #7 in this BookXerpting.

The book has already found a new reader and is on its way to CaptainCarrot!

Journal Entry 8 by CaptainCarrot from Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, January 18, 2007
Thank you for the book - I haven't read it and didn't see the movie. I hope I can read it soon!

Journal Entry 9 by CaptainCarrot from Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, March 18, 2010
I'm sorry to say, but I did not read the book to the end. Too much other things to read and do... But now I've found a new home for Marcus and Will.

Journal Entry 10 by CaptainCarrot at Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, March 18, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (3/19/2010 UTC) at Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Reist zu chawoso - viel Spaß!

Journal Entry 11 by wingchawosowing from Heusenstamm, Hessen Germany on Saturday, March 27, 2010
The boy in company with a widow and a silly dog (suprise) arrived two days ago.
Thanks a lot for that RBACKs, CaptainCarrot!

Oktober 2012:
I read the story about Marcus and Will some month ago and I realy like it.

Journal Entry 12 by wingchawosowing at Heusenstamm, Hessen Germany on Monday, November 19, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (11/16/2012 UTC) at Heusenstamm, Hessen Germany

On its way to pam99 (Scotland!), who had chosen this book at the "First Sentence VBB".
Hope you like it.

Journal Entry 13 by pam99 at Troon, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 21, 2012
I'm in Scotland rather than the USA, but thank you very much for the book! I think I might have read this a good few years ago - I've definitely seen the film - but I'm going to read it again.

Journal Entry 14 by pam99 at Troon, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 18, 2013
I'd read this before (back in 2007) and re-reading it, again thought the book was much better than the film - had me laughing out loud in places.

I've offered to restart Miss_Sunshine's stalled ray with this book, the remaining participants are:

wheepaperclips - USA
Valpete - USA
Chocola905 - Japan
Vassilka - Greece
Wal-89 - UK

and the link to the original ray is here: http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/7267103?rel=1#5

Journal Entry 15 by pam99 at Troon, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (12/24/2013 UTC) at Troon, Scotland United Kingdom

off surface mail to the USA...

Journal Entry 16 by wheepaperclips at Allentown, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, March 08, 2014
Received, thank you. I opened it on my birthday and am happy to say it's part of my birthday festivities :-)

I will get to this one shortly and then will pass it on to valpete.

Journal Entry 17 by wheepaperclips at Allentown, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, March 14, 2014
I so enjoyed this story about an aimless man who finds himself a dysfunctional family. I have to keep reading Hornby; I also really liked A Long Way Down. I'll write a more thorough review later :-)

Journal Entry 18 by wheepaperclips at Allentown, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, March 14, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (3/14/2014 UTC) at Allentown, Pennsylvania USA

Sending this on to Valpete in CA (USA) to continue the ray!

Journal Entry 19 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Tuesday, April 01, 2014
I had completely forgotten that I had signed up for this one...must have been in a weak moment. I have a few before this one, so will get to it ASAP. I do promise to read it and send it on to the next reader.

Journal Entry 20 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Monday, September 01, 2014
My apologies for keeping this so long. I'm sending it along to the next person on the list.

A humorous coming of age book about Marcus, an eccentric, introverted, bullied 12-year old and his new friend, Will, a 36-year old bachelor, who is cynical and immature. Nick Hornby explores characters who are sad, funny, and flawed in a world filled with the complications and triumphs of everyday life. I look forward to reading more from this author.

Journal Entry 21 by chocola905 at Kawanishi / 川西市, Hyogo-ken Japan on Thursday, September 18, 2014
I got this book yesterday. Thank you valpete!

Journal Entry 22 by vassilka at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece on Saturday, December 13, 2014
The book is with me. I've already started reading . Thank you chocola905 for sending it along with the nice bookmark and the christmas card !

Journal Entry 23 by vassilka at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece on Saturday, January 03, 2015
I read it in two days but due to the christmas preparations and the crowded post offices, time passed and the book is still here. The next reader was not in a hurry though. I have the address and I am planning to post it next week.
I certainly enjoyed it, I am a Hornby's fun, I like his books, I liked this one too. I am glad I joined the ring!

Journal Entry 24 by vassilka at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece on Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (1/19/2015 UTC) at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece

The book is travelling towards the next reader, Wal-89 in England. Thank you pam99 for giving me the opportunity to read it and also thank you chocola905 for sending it to me:-)

Journal Entry 25 by wal-89 at Congleton, Cheshire United Kingdom on Thursday, January 29, 2015
Forgot all about joining this book ray. I have seen the film but I usually enjoy the books more. Looking forward to giving another Nick Hornby book a go.

Journal Entry 26 by wal-89 at Macclesfield Station in Macclesfield, Cheshire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 28, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (11/1/2017 UTC) at Macclesfield Station in Macclesfield, Cheshire United Kingdom

Had too many books on my TBR pile and am moving house so had a clear out. Safe travels little book!