Green Hills of Magic

by Ruth Ann Musick | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by hagathorn of Grand Island, New York USA on 1/15/2006
Journal Entry 1 by hagathorn from Grand Island, New York USA on Sunday, January 15, 2006
West Virginia Folktales from Europe.

Journal Entry 2 by hagathorn at Niagara Falls, New York USA on Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (8/21/2012 UTC) at Niagara Falls, New York USA

Loaning to a friend who needed a light read.

Journal Entry 3 by hagathorn at Wild Release in Buffalo, New York USA on Friday, September 04, 2015

Released 5 yrs ago (9/5/2015 UTC) at Wild Release in Buffalo, New York USA

This book could end up anywhere while I am on vacation. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by book_drunkard at Osgood, Indiana USA on Thursday, September 10, 2015
Caught from hagathorn's trunk! LOL
Thank you very much!

Journal Entry 5 by book_drunkard at Osgood, Indiana USA on Wednesday, March 21, 2018
This book of European folktales was pure bliss to my inner child and a much needed break from some of the *heavier* subjects that I usually tackle.

Journal Entry 6 by book_drunkard at Bookbox, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, March 22, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (3/22/2018 UTC) at Bookbox, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

Sending off on a journey in "The Otherworldly" bookbox.

Journal Entry 7 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, May 03, 2018
I'm claiming this from the Otherworldly bookbox. I've read lots of folk tales of various origins, and it was interesting to see how these - many of them transcribed by the author from West Virginia miners' oral accounts, a very nice touch - adhered to or departed from some of the better-known variations. Some of the stories are quite creepy, too - and jarring, as in "Christ and the Blacksmith," which features a not-very-Christlike Christ who gives the blacksmith a horrible lesson in trying to reach beyond his grasp!

There are deals with the devil, attempts to outwit Death, tales of vampires and werewolves, and stories of monsters, magic, ghosts, angels, and more.

I liked the stark, stylized illustrations by Archie L. Musick, which enhanced the book.

Released 2 yrs ago (5/15/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, 45 Dana St. in North Andover, Massachusetts USA

I left this book inside the Little Free Library on this warm day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***