The Traveler : A Novel (Hardcover)

by John Twelve Hawks | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
ISBN: 038551428x Global Overview for this book
Registered by wss4 of Branford, Florida USA on 1/14/2006
Journal Entry 1 by wss4 from Branford, Florida USA on Saturday, January 14, 2006
FROM THE PUBLISHER
"Maya is hiding in plain sight in London. The twenty-six-year-old has abandoned the dangerous obligations pressed upon her by her father, and chosen instead to live a normal life. But Maya comes from a long line of people who call themselves Harlequins - a fierce group of warriors willing to sacrifice their lives to protect a select few known as Travelers." "Gabriel and Michael Corrigan are brothers living in Los Angeles. Since childhood, the young men have been shaped by stories that their late father was a Traveler, one of a small band of prophets who have vastly influenced the course of history. Travelers are able to attain pure enlightenment, and have for centuries ushered change into the world. Gabriel and Michael, who may have inherited their father's gifts, have always protected themselves by living "off the Grid" - that is, invisible to the real-life surveillance networks that monitor people in modern society." "Summoned by her ailing father, Maya is told of the existence of the brothers. The Corrigans are in severe danger, stalked by powerful men known as the Tabula - ruthless mercenaries who have hunted Travelers for generations. This group is determined to inflict order on the world by controlling it, and they view Travelers as an intolerable threat. As Maya races to California to protect the brothers, she is reluctantly pulled back into the cold and solitary Harlequin existence. A colossal battle looms - one that will reveal not only the identities of Gabriel and Michael Corrigan but also a secret history of our time." Moving from the back alleys of Prague to the heart of Los Angeles, from the high deserts of Arizona to a guarded research facility in New York, The Traveler explores a parallel world that exists alongside our own.

~~~~~

Excellent book. This is a wonderful novel with a lot of room for more. I can not wait until the next in the series comes out.

Journal Entry 2 by wss4 at Valentine Exchange in Book Relay, A book trading site -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, January 14, 2006

Released 14 yrs ago (1/14/2006 UTC) at Valentine Exchange in Book Relay, A book trading site -- Controlled Releases

Sending to my Valentine Exchange partner through bookrelay.com.

Happy Valentine's Day!!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, February 14, 2006
received this book from my secret cupid whowas way too generous. Can't wait to read it

Journal Entry 4 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, December 22, 2013
My mom, AceofHearts, passed away from breast cancer on September 17, 2013. Aside from being one of the best people I know, she was an avid reader and took immense pleasure in Bookcrossing, her book club, and reading many great books. Unfortunately she didn't get around to reading this book.

We had similar tastes in books and would share them whenever we read something we enjoyed. This book sounds interesting so I'm going to keep it to read.

Journal Entry 5 by HoserLauren at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, October 25, 2020
This could have been a really interesting sci-fi thriller but unfortunately I felt like it just wasn't flushed out (or explained) enough. The author wants you to care for Travellers and Harlequins, the supposed "good guys", while they are hunted by the Tablua or the "bad guys". The problem is that the Harlequins (protectors) are explained in much more detail than those they are protecting and if I don't understand what's being protected, how am I supposed to care? They tell you that Travellers can go to other realms, but to do what? That part is never fully flushed out. Some of it is explained near the end but I was still left wondering why it was thought as so important.
I did finish the book, so it was interesting enough to keep my attention, but not enough so that I want to continue in the series.

Journal Entry 6 by HoserLauren at Little Free Library - Blue Spruce in Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, October 31, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (10/31/2020 UTC) at Little Free Library - Blue Spruce in Burlington, Ontario Canada

To the finder of this book: I hope you enjoy reading this book. Please keep it or set it free when you're done. If the book is of no interest to you, please release it into the wild for someone else to find and enjoy. I hope you will make a journal entry so its journey can be tracked and to let me know the book has been found. You can remain anonymous if you wish, but if you join BookCrossing, you are in for a great experience.