The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower)

by Stephen King | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
ISBN: 034070750x Global Overview for this book
Registered by abrokenstarr of Reading, Berkshire United Kingdom on 1/14/2006
Journal Entry 1 by abrokenstarr from Reading, Berkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 14, 2006
This is the first book in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I love the series, though I found this first (small) book very difficult to get into.

'Roland of Gilead, the Last Gunslinger, sets out in pursuit of the Man in Black into a desolate world which frighteningly echoes our own. In his first step towards the powerful and mysterious Dark Tower, Roland encounters an alluring woman named Alice and begins a friendship with Jake, a kid from New York. Faced with an agonising choice, Roland is torn between damnation and salvation as he determines to find out what the Man in Black knows. Both grippingly realistic and eerily dreamlike, The Gunslinger leaves readers eagerly awaiting the next chapter... And the Tower is closer...'

This is going to go out on a book spiral with books 2-5:

Cats-eye
Mellowdaisy
Dazzygids
Tutleymutley
Nocton4
Dogsapples
Tehuti no answer to pms, will move further down
4orty7even
QuantumAyla
Tehuti
..and back to me.

Rules of the bookray -

Please try to read the book in about a month if you can. Please journal when you receive the book, and when you send it on. If the next person in the list does not answer pm's for two weeks then pm me and I will move them down the list and try to get hold of them myself.

Happy reading!

Released 15 yrs ago (1/14/2006 UTC) at Posted to the next participant in Royal Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent second class to cats-eye.

Journal Entry 3 by cats-eye from Bishop Auckland, County Durham United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 17, 2006
Arrived safely today, thank you for organizing this spiral, abrokenstarr! I will get to this one as soon as I finish up the other ring I'm in the middle of :o)

Journal Entry 4 by cats-eye from Bishop Auckland, County Durham United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 31, 2006
After trying and trying unsuccessfully to get into this little book, I have decided that Kings fantasy writing is just not for me. I couldn't get into it, and found myself getting confused and backtracking too much to make it enjoyable :-( I am going to bow out of this spiral, but I'm really glad I tried reading it, and at least I now have the knowledge that fantasy just isn't for me :-)
Thank you, abrokenstarr for sharing this one - I will PM Mellowdaisy and journal again briefly when I post the book out!

Journal Entry 5 by cats-eye from Bishop Auckland, County Durham United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 1, 2006
posted this today to mellowdaisy - enjoy :o)

Journal Entry 6 by mellowdaisy on Thursday, February 2, 2006
This arrived this morning, thank you cats-eye for posting it to me and abrokenstarr for organising the spiral! I'm afraid it may take me a little longer than usual to get round to this as I am currently reading a book and have one other ring book ready and waiting as well, but I hope it won't take me too long!

Journal Entry 7 by mellowdaisy on Tuesday, March 14, 2006
I'm so sorry that this is taking me a little while to pass on - I had another book to finish and then work and study got on top of me a bit!! I'm halfway through the book at the moment and finding it a bit hard to get into but I'm persevering - it shouldn't be too long now before I'm ready to pass it on, sorry to those after me on the list for the wait!

UPDATE 21/03/06:
No matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get into this book, I found it really difficult and it got to the point where I was trying to read it just to get it finished rather than reading for fun :-( I'm afraid that I will probably not take part in the rest of the spiral - I don't think these books are for me!
I will PM the next person on the list and pass this on.

Journal Entry 8 by DazzyGidds from Nottingham, not specified not specified on Monday, March 27, 2006
Sent by Mellowdaisy. I will be reading this book this week. From what people have previously wrote it seems like a challenge. However i am quite good at the suspension of Disbelief so should be ok.

More later.....

Journal Entry 9 by DazzyGidds from Nottingham, not specified not specified on Saturday, April 1, 2006
I loved this book. It has Magic, biblical themes, morality and the relentless search for the truth. It has wastelands and tracks (metaphors for a journey). Alternative worlds and the anticipation of many adventures yet to come.

Go Roland go!!

It will now go to the next person on the list who is....
Tutleymutley

Journal Entry 10 by tutleymutley from Newton Abbot, Devon United Kingdom on Monday, April 10, 2006
Not at all like Stephen King's *normal* fare - though still has his great characterisation, and moments of horror (ref Jake's departure from New York) - but I'm not following it at all. I'll carry on reading (floundering about) the rest just to see where (on earth?) it goes!
Sorry, sat down and read the book before I realised didn't actually journal its arrival. Despite my not knowing what was going on, it IS a quick read.
PMing Nocton4 - who was celebrating her birthday yesterday! Happy birthday again Nocton4!

Journal Entry 11 by nocton4 from Lincoln, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 17, 2006
Arrived this morning .... with choc !!! Thanks alot.

Love & sunshine

Denise xx

Journal Entry 12 by nocton4 from Lincoln, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Friday, July 14, 2006
mmm what can I say ?? I guess disappointed.Having read most of King's books and enjoyed them all, this just did not do it for me .. hoping the rest of the books get better.
Will send on.
Thanks for sharing.
Denise x

Journal Entry 13 by dogsapples from Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 25, 2006
Arrived today, thank you very much. Hope I enjoy this despite other reports!

Journal Entry 14 by dogsapples from Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 1, 2006
It took only a few pages for me to realise this series is not for me. Through BC i have tried lots of different authors that I wouldn't otherwise have read, some brilliant but sadly you can't win them all. I didn't persevere because the tbr pile has lots of things I do want to read and well "lifes too short...".

Will be sending on to tehuti as soon as I have the address and will drop out of the rest of the spiral. Thanks anyway abrokenstarr for sneding it round and letting me find out.

Journal Entry 15 by dogsapples from Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria United Kingdom on Monday, August 28, 2006
Sorry about delay, not getting a response from tehuti, going to try another PM now.

Journal Entry 16 by dogsapples from Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria United Kingdom on Monday, September 4, 2006
Still no response from tehuti so going to try a PM to 4orty7even, it can go back to tehuti later if he/she emerges!

Journal Entry 17 by dogsapples from Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 5, 2006
Parcelled up to send to 4orty7even, will probably post tomorrow.

Journal Entry 18 by 4orty7even from Kingston upon Thames, Surrey United Kingdom on Saturday, September 9, 2006
Arrived in the post yesterday - thanks dogsapples. It's now in a rather large TBR pile ;o) but as it's in a ring I'll try to move it up a bit !

Sep 23rd: started this today.
Oct 2nd: finshed !

Wasn't really enamoured with this. Somewhat disjointed and some of the passages just felt "out of place".

The theme is intriguing though, so I'll keep going with the spiral to see how it develops.

Journal Entry 19 by 4orty7even at on Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Released 15 yrs ago (10/17/2006 UTC) at

Sent in the post to Quantumayla today.

Journal Entry 20 by QuantumAyla from Goole, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 19, 2006
Received this morning. I'll read this as soon as I've finished my Ray book.

UPDATE 23rdOct:

Have finished my Ray book so am on to this now. Half-finished already! Great stuff. :-)

Journal Entry 21 by QuantumAyla from Goole, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 21, 2006
I really enjoyed this book and am looking forwards to the next in the sequence. However, I read somewhere that lots of people found the first book horrible and loved the others . . . I hope that doesn't mean that since I liked this one I'll hate the other Dark Tower books?! :-)

I'll send this on as soon as I get an address.

Journal Entry 22 by QuantumAyla from Goole, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 5, 2006
Posted this today. Enjoy! :-)

Journal Entry 23 by tehuti from Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, January 5, 2007
I'm finally managing to ease myself back into Bookcrossing and reading after doing none of one and little of the other since about June/July. I have never read anything by Stephen King before and am intrigued by the love or hate reactions previous readers have expressed about this book. Will start tonight!

Journal Entry 24 by tehuti from Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 9, 2007
Oh my!!! I feel lost for words. This book has gripped me from the first word to the last one. I neglected work, did not start a book that I am supposed to be reviewing, and gave up on sleep to try and grab as much time as possible to continue reading this. The story moves at various paces, but always in a tantalising manner, giving small glimpses of ever bigger things, so that we move from what seems to be a dystopic American Mid-West, to the notion parallel worlds, alternate realities and more and more... The end only leaves even more questions that need answering. Thank you so much for this, abrokenstarr. I really hope that you are putting out the rest of the series in a spiral as intended. If not, please let me know, because I HAVE to read the rest in one way or other!

Journal Entry 25 by abrokenstarr from Reading, Berkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 14, 2007
Thanks to Tehuti and all participants in this spiral, this has returned to me after just over a year of travelling!

Interesting, seems to be a marmite kind of book - love it or hate it. I didn't particularly enjoy it, but I did persevere because I'm a King fanatic. Those of you that have continued will know that this series does get better. Those of you that are still waiting on the other books will discover it soon!

Very pleased that this got back to me okay, these books are not ones I wanted to lose!