LIFE AFTER GOD

by DOUGLAS COUPLAND | Other |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 1/13/2006
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, January 13, 2006
One of 5 (count them!) books from my wishlist bought by older bruv and his partner - a great Xmas present

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, April 24, 2006
I’m not sure whether this is brave and insightful cross-over book, part autobiography, part essay on the nature of modern life, relationships, loneliness and (lack of) spirituality...or it could be just sentimental, over-indulgent tosh! I really can’t tell, that’s why this review is a bit delayed. I though I would come back to the book after a few weeks to see if I could make some more sense of it.

This is a short small compact hardback, with little chapters interspersed with childlike drawings (Coupland’s?) The book covers a number of periods in the author’s life, as retold (we are led to believe) to a child.

Here is a typical passage, Coupland talking about a group of high school friends, ‘Life was charmed but without politics or religion...life after God - a life of earthly salvation on the edge of heaven...I think there was a trade-off somewhere along the line. I think the price we paid for our golden life was an inability to fully believe in love; instead we gained an irony that scorched everything that it touched. And I wonder if this irony is the price we paid for the loss of God.’

OK, I’m still not sure if I’m convinced!

I had a couple of deja vous episodes to other books read recently.

(1) I know that DC is a Vancouvan, but I was reading the ‘Our Lady of the Forest’ at the same time as this, which is set just down the coast in Washington. Both talked about mushroom collecting, or ‘shrooms’ in the local vernacular. And both authors have an immense feeling for rain, ‘The richness of the rain made me feel safe and protected...Without at least some rain in any given day...I feel overwhelmed by the information of sunlight, and yearn for the vital, muffling gift of falling water.’

(2) And, echoes of ‘Ishmael’ by Daniel Quinn, ‘Thousands of years ago, a person just assumed that life for their kids would be identical to the one that they led. Now you assume that life for the next generation – hell, life next week – is going to be shockingly different than life today.’

Journal Entry 3 by UrbanSpaceman from Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, July 02, 2006
BGM pushed this on me at the Unconvention (though I didn't put up at significant resistance...)

Journal Entry 4 by UrbanSpaceman from Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, July 06, 2008
I actually read this a year ago, but the book went and hid before I could review it and has only just emerged again. My comments are therefore somewhat whimsical and distant. Perhaps this is no bad thing as my recollections of the book are that it is similar in that Copelandesque-GenX way, at series of stories told in a distant, stream-of-consciousness manner. Like Bookgroupman, I'm not sure whether is it is profound or not, but it made me think and entertained me at the same time, for which I'm grateful.

Released 11 yrs ago (7/8/2008 UTC) at The Camel and Artichoke in Southwark, Greater London United Kingdom

Taking to the London BC Meetup.

Journal Entry 6 by Treas from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, August 10, 2008
found in Camel & Artichoke pub - Waterloo
Never read anything by this author before - was intrigued because he wrote Generation X. Quite enjoyed it but not rushing to find more by him.

Journal Entry 7 by eigenvector from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, October 30, 2008

Picked up at the Camel & Artichoke.