The Westing Game

by Ellen Raskin | Children's Books |
Registered by Kyrissaean of Littleton, New Hampshire USA on 1/12/2006
Journal Entry 1 by Kyrissaean from Littleton, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, January 12, 2006
Book Description
For over twenty-five years, Ellen Raskin's Newbery Medal-winning The Westing Game has been an enduring favorite. It has sold over one and a half million copies. This highly inventive mystery involves sixteen people who are invited to the reading of Samuel W. Westing's will. They could become millionaires-it all depends on how they play the tricky and dangerous Westing game, a game involving blizzards, burglaries, and bombings! Ellen Raskin has created a remarkable cast of characters in a puzzle-knotted, word-twisting plot filled with humor, intrigue, and suspense.

Journal Entry 2 by Kyrissaean from Littleton, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, January 19, 2006
This was neat book! It's a quick little read, and very different than I was expecting. For the first little bit I had to really pay attention to keep all the characters straight, but by about 1/3 of the way through everybody fell into place. I'm not usually a big fan of straight mysteries, but this was more of a puzzle book, and it was fun gathering the clues. For all that, it's a very easy read. (Thank goodness! It'd be embarrassing to have a children's book throw me for a real loop!) I really enjoyed this!

Journal Entry 3 by Kyrissaean from Littleton, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, November 07, 2007
Mailed to HoserLauren from a swap -- happy reading!

Journal Entry 4 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, November 14, 2007
Received today from a mystery swap! I love the bookplate you have in this book!! This looks like a fun little book. Thanks!

Journal Entry 5 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Monday, October 31, 2011
When multi-millionaire Sam Westing dies, his will asks those people to move in to a new apartment complex and play in his game to win $20M from his estate. He pairs up the heirs and gives them each a clue, asking them to figure out who murdered him. The clues that each pair were given, however, make no sense by themselves. While the heirs try to figure out what these clues mean, there is a person stealing stuff and putting small bombs around the apartment. The two don't seem to have anything to do with each other though, which is part of the reason why I felt this book was disjointed.

This book is supposed to be a book for young adults, but I couldn't figure out the mystery and don't think an average teenager could either. I couldn't even guess because not enough information was given to do so. When the mystery was finally revealed, it wasn't really a shocker and definitely wasn't worth the confusion that was in the rest of the book. I didn't enjoy this one.

Journal Entry 6 by HoserLauren at Second Cup - Lakeshore at Navy in Oakville, Ontario Canada on Sunday, February 12, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (2/12/2012 UTC) at Second Cup - Lakeshore at Navy in Oakville, Ontario Canada

Time to pass this one along. I'll be leaving it in the Oakville OBZ.