Labyrinth

by Kate Mosse | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by Dorothyredboots of York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 1/11/2006
Journal Entry 1 by Dorothyredboots from York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 11, 2006
Bought this as part of Richard and Judy's Book Club List.Will probably take it to meetup when i have read it.
From the cover:-
July 1209: in Carcassonne a seventeen-year-old girl is given a mysterious book by her father which he claims contains the secret of the true Grail. Although Alais cannot understand the strange words and symbols hidden within, she knows her destiny lies in keeping the secret of the labyrinth safe..
July 2005: Alice tanner discovers two skeletons in a forgotten cave in the French Pyrenees. Puzzled by the labyrinth symbol carved into the rock, she realises she's disturbed something that was meant to remain hidden. Somehow a link to a horrific past - her past - has been revealed.

Journal Entry 2 by Dorothyredboots from York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, January 15, 2006
Can't say I got on with this very well and it was a bit of a chore to finish it - but I did. Perhaps a bit too heavy on the 'historical' for me. Will probably take this to Meetup.

Journal Entry 3 by Dorothyredboots at Judges Lodgings in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, January 23, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (1/24/2006 UTC) at Judges Lodgings in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Journal Entry 4 by tree-hugger from York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 25, 2006
Picked this up at the York meetup last night. It's my current book group book so that's very convenient! It's not the kind of thing I'd have chosen for myself, but I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Journal Entry 5 by tree-hugger from York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, February 27, 2006
After I got about a third of the way through I realised that I had another engagement for the night of the book club meeting, so I didn't have to finish it. And I'm sorry to say that without having to read it, I didn't bother. Feel suitably guilty about that. The first third was alright if you like that kind of thing, but there was nothing at all outstanding about it.

I'll pass it onto Nu-Knees who can be relied on to actually get around to reading it.

Journal Entry 6 by wingNu-Kneeswing from Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, February 27, 2006
Have heard a lot about this so looking forward to reading it and making up my own mind!

Journal Entry 7 by wingNu-Kneeswing from Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 15, 2006
Well I finished it - but not with any great enthusiasm. I found it a bit of a slog at times although the pace did pick up in the last hundred pages. I got totally fed up with jumping from one century to another so frequently and would have preferred to spend longer in one place and time.

I think I'm suffering from Grail and/or Cathar Heresy overload, so I didn't get as involved in this story as I might have done. These themes have been recurring in my reading over the past year or so. To mention a few:
- the Da Vinci Code and much of the related hype, including a Cracking the Code book which I've registered and released;
- Bernard Cornwell's Grail Trilogy;
- and even the Name of the Rose marches to a similar drumbeat!

Labyrinth probably works better if the theme is less familiar to you .....

Journal Entry 8 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Judges Lodgings in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, March 27, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (3/28/2006 UTC) at Judges Lodgings in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Sending to the York Meet Up with Tree-hugger because unfortunately I can't get there myself this month!

Journal Entry 9 by Mai-day from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 28, 2006
I've just bought this for my brother for his birthday, so I thought I'd give it a try...

Journal Entry 10 by Mai-day from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, October 15, 2006
I actually enjoyed this. There is a lot in it and you have to be willing to suspend your disbelief when it comes to some of the coincidences, but I thought it was an engaging story. I thought at first I might find the charachters a bit annoying as I was shouting at the book "don't go into that dark cave on your own" in the first few pages, but I got over that as the story progressed.

I'm off to the cinema now - might wild release it there if I can find a suitable place.

Released 12 yrs ago (10/15/2006 UTC) at Vue Cinema, The Light, Headrow in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

Journal Entry 12 by shania28 from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, October 20, 2006
Found this book in the Leeds Vue cinema at the light cinema. Looking forward to reading it because i like grail related stories. loved the davinci code. was weird because i found this book on my birthday thanks to whoever left it!