between friends

by Debbie Macomber | Women's Fiction |
ISBN: 155166674x Global Overview for this book
Registered by snowy652 of Abbotsford, British Columbia Canada on 1/10/2006
Journal Entry 1 by snowy652 from Abbotsford, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, January 10, 2006
From Booklist
Prolific Macomber's latest traces the lives and friendship of Jillian Lawton and Lesley Adamski through their letters, diaries, and other correspondence. Jillian, the only child of wealthy parents, and Lesley, one of many children born into a poor family, meet when they are in grade school and are immediately taken with one another. Both girls are extremely smart, but Jillian's family wealth opens doors while Lesley must scrimp and save for everything. Jillian graduates from high school as valedictorian while a pregnant Lesley prepares for marriage. Jillian goes on to prestigious colleges and eventually becomes a lawyer and later a judge, while Lesley's family grows to four children and she gives up on her hope of becoming a nurse. Both women experience loss, from men to dreams, but through it all they remain the truest of friends for 50 amazing years.

***This was the first book I ever read of Debbie Macomber's and because of it -- it wasen't my last. I enjoyed the different format of writing once I got used to it. The story reminded me of the friendhships that I have and it made me grateful. My first copy of this book was lent to many people and through that more books were bought. This is a good book to share with a friend.

sending to "LyzzyBee" -- book-relay

safe travels little book

Journal Entry 3 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, March 13, 2006
Received in the post today and confused myself mightily as I am on bookrings for 2 of this lady's novels but didn't think I'd been PM'd for my address! Now it all makes sense - good old BookRelay!

I am currently on my Christmas book haul (this is good going for me - the last lot got read last June) so it'll be a month or so till this is read. Looks great though!

And thanks for the... teabags (how did you know I love Earl Grey?), book labels and stickers - so cool although they all cascaded out of the book over the kitchen table just as the kitchen fitter was here - think he thought I was a little odd!!!

Journal Entry 4 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 24, 2006
I have discovered a new author! After The Shop on Blossom Street and now this one, I know she's going to be a favourite - and wonder if I can get her books over here! She's up there with Fannie Flagg and much kinder and less melodramatic than Anne Rivers Siddons. Hooray!

This was a lovely family saga telling the story of two women, their families and friends from their births in 1948 to the present day, told through the medium of letters, notes, journal entries, ephemera and emails. Telling the story of America too, main events are touched upon, and often directly touch characters in the book, but in a believable way and with a light touch. Macomber's writing and characterisation is faultless, and I'm looking forward to reading more of her novels.

I am going to offer this on a BookRing, to share it with as many others as possible, although I do want to wait for at least one of my current Rings to come back before I offer up another tranch! Rest assured, this will travel!

Journal Entry 5 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, June 25, 2006
BOOKRING!

Usual rules apply...

Make a journal entry when you receive the book
Contact the next reader for their address when you are almost done
Post a review when you've read the book - please try to send it on within a month of receipt if you can
Make a journal entry or controlled release notes when you send the book on

PARTICIPANTS

calalilly UK (UK preferred)
Purplerosebud UK (UK) (keep next to calalilly)
Rosiewhippet UK (UK)
Anglersrest UK (UK)
Scotsbookie UK (anywhere, surface)
Nordie UK-Birmingham (UK)
Heaven-Ali UK-Birmingham (anywhere)
JillBe UK
Notingnothing UK (anywhere)
Microsquid Ireland (anywhere)
boomda181 Canada (Can/US pref/anywhere)
goyetisa Canada (anywhere)
Mamikaem US-Missouri (anywhere)
[[[mereader US-California (anywhere) - can't be contacted ]]]
Southernfryed US-SC (anywhere)
SherlockFan New Zealand (anywhere)
GateGypsy Canada (anywhere) <--- it's here

No need for this to come back to me - I look forward to see it travelling onwards!

Giving to Calalilly at Uncon

Journal Entry 7 by calalilly from Waterlooville, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 05, 2006
Past onto me by Lyzzybee at the uncon. I've a couple of other bookrings to read first but it shouldn't be long before I start this.

Journal Entry 8 by calalilly from Waterlooville, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 25, 2006
I was a bit apprehensive about this book when I saw that the story was made up of letter, notes, emails, etc. But I didn't need to be, what a great book it was, about the lives of two girls from different backgrounds from when they were born and then their families. Of the ups and downs they went through over the years. The way the author wrote the story I felt I was there sharing it with them. I wanted to keep reading it and the good thing about it was because of the way it was written you could easily pick it up and read a few pages and then put it down.
I will be passing this on to Purplerosebud tonight and I hope that she enjoys it as much as I've done. Thank you Lzzybee for sharing this book with me.

Journal Entry 9 by purplerosebud from Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Friday, July 28, 2006
Bit of a delay in passing it on (I forgot to pick it up off the table, lol) but the book has arrived with me today. I've not read Debie Macomber before so I'm really looking forward to it. A couple of book rings to go first but hopefully it wont be long.

Journal Entry 10 by purplerosebud from Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 07, 2006
A very nice read! Written in an unusual style but I didn't find it at all difficult. A moving story about love and friendships, of people overcoming what life throws at them and moving on and making good. This is the first Debbie Macomber book that I've read but I will certainley be looking out for more.

Thank you for sharing! I will PM Rosiewhippet for her address right now.

Journal Entry 11 by rosiewhippet from Fenstanton, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 05, 2006
I am so sorry. I forgot to journal this whan I received it!! But I did receive it!...safe and sound. I have also finished it. However my mum is borrowing it whilst she is away in Scotland for a week.

I have Anglersrest's address and as soon as I get the book back off my mum...I will post it on. I really enjoyed it and rattled through it very quickly.

Sorry, my mum decided to extend here holiday!! However I have stollen it back, she really enjoyed it. I will post it onto Anglersrest tomorrow after work, Thanks for this Ring.

I am forwarding it on as part of 'The 2006 Keep Them Moving Challenge'

Thankyou.
Rosiewhippet. x

Journal Entry 12 by rosiewhippet at AnglersRest in Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Monday, September 25, 2006

Released 14 yrs ago (9/26/2006 UTC) at AnglersRest in Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom

Hope you enjoy as much as I did!

Rosiewhippet. x

Journal Entry 13 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Thursday, October 05, 2006
Arrived this morning and this now makes ring number 6! This should be at the top of ring mountain soonish, as I have a few of the 6 to almost post off!
Looking forward to reading this one.

Journal Entry 14 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 11, 2006
I've been naughty and ring jumped this one. I knew that it would be a really delightful read,as all Debbie Macomber's books are and I was not disappointed.

This is the story of essentially two friends and their lives through all the tears,laughs,sad and happy moments. The book is written as a series of letters,postcards,telegrams and emails and spreads across several three families and more than 4 decades. Written in such a warm and caring manner and deals with the regrets and lossed loves ones of both women. A wonderful and gentle read, focusing on the most wonderful gift of all.....friendship.

I have Scotsbookie's address, so will pop this in the post long with two more rings (Agatha Raisin) in the next day or so.

Journal Entry 15 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Friday, October 13, 2006
On its way to scotsbookie

Journal Entry 16 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 31, 2006
Arrived this morning, one of 3 rings from the lovely AnglersRest. I'm really looking forward to reading this. It is top of Mount TBR.

Journal Entry 17 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, November 05, 2006
What a wonderful book, I really enjoyed the way it was written & the 400 pages just flew by. Learning how the characters lives were evolving not just by what they wrote but by what others did & therefore seeing how they saw each others lives was an great way for the story to unfold.

Debbie Macomber was a new to me author & this won't be the last of her books I read.

Thank you LyzzyBee for the chance to read this book. I have PM'd nordie for her details & will get the book back on its travels asap.

Journal Entry 18 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 07, 2006
Pooped in the post to nordie this morning.

Journal Entry 19 by nordie from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, November 09, 2006
caught from scotsbookie, with thanks

Have an easy pass on afterwards!

Journal Entry 20 by nordie from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, November 12, 2006
I'd forgotten that I'd signed up for this one! It's my second Debbie Macomber, and I enjoyed it too. Nice to see that she put in a little social history as well, with Nixon's resignation, and Clinton's impeachment only 2 of many references to the "real world"

Will give to Heaven-Ali at the next meet, unless I see her before!

Journal Entry 21 by nordie at By hand in Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, November 25, 2006

Released 14 yrs ago (11/25/2006 UTC) at By hand in Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Gone to Ali

Journal Entry 22 by Heaven-Ali from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, November 25, 2006
Passed to me today at the Birmingham meet.

Journal Entry 23 by Heaven-Ali from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, November 30, 2006
This was an enjoyable read, and a great book to curl up with on winter nights. I liked the use of letters, email and such, to tell the story, and it was an easy book therefore to dip in and out of. I do sometimes find Debbie Macomber a little sugary - and generally like something darker and denser to follow it up with, by overall an enjoyable undemanding read.

Journal Entry 24 by Heaven-Ali at A fellow bookcrosser in By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, December 01, 2006

Released 14 yrs ago (12/1/2006 UTC) at A fellow bookcrosser in By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent on to Notingnothing today.

Journal Entry 25 by jillbe from Dorchester, Dorset United Kingdom on Sunday, December 03, 2006
Unexpected, but nice surprise in the post yesterday. Going onto mount TBR as it is part of a bookring, then posting onto notingnothing, to continue its journey.

Journal Entry 26 by jillbe from Dorchester, Dorset United Kingdom on Sunday, December 03, 2006

Journal Entry 27 by jillbe from Dorchester, Dorset United Kingdom on Monday, December 11, 2006
A lovely story, very enjoyable. Really glad to have had the chance to read this one. Now sending onto notingnothing, happy bookcrossing!

Journal Entry 28 by notingnothing from Sidcup, Kent United Kingdom on Monday, December 18, 2006
Arrived safely today - thank you. Hope to get to this over christmas break :)

Journal Entry 29 by notingnothing from Sidcup, Kent United Kingdom on Monday, March 05, 2007
What a great way of telling a story - nice to see something a bit different. Enjoyed gradually learning more about each character.

Apologies again for hanging onto this one so long. It has gone off to microsquid now. Enjoy :)

Journal Entry 30 by microsquid from Cobh, Co. Cork Ireland on Tuesday, March 20, 2007
This has been waiting at the post office for me for a few days - thanks for forwarding it on :) I have 2 other books to get to so this will be number 3 - about 2-3 weeks.

Journal Entry 31 by microsquid from Cobh, Co. Cork Ireland on Tuesday, March 27, 2007
Wow, this really was a quick read. I kept on telling myself that I would only read to the next letter, the next... and within 3 days the book was read (and I've been busy with work etc. in the meantime!)
I enjoyed the references to events and pop culture, but sometimes the telling seemed distant. (hard to explain, like as if they were already writing from a perspective of years)
It's not my usual cup of tea but it was enjoyable while it lasted.

Journal Entry 32 by microsquid from Cobh, Co. Cork Ireland on Wednesday, March 28, 2007
Posted to Boomda181 today

Journal Entry 33 by boomda181 on Thursday, April 05, 2007
Arrived in the mail yesterday. I am looking forward to a good and cozy read. I have a book ahead of it, then I will journal more.

Journal Entry 34 by boomda181 on Sunday, April 15, 2007
What a quick read! I loved how Macomber tied social history continuously through the book as we followed the lives of Jillian and Lesley. The book was sent on the next bookcrosser earlier this week and should arrive any day. Thanks Lyzzybee for turning this into a bookring! I really enjoyed the opportunity to read another of Debbie Macomber's books.

Journal Entry 35 by goyetisa on Monday, April 16, 2007
I have just received the novel in the mail today. Will read it soon. :)

Journal Entry 36 by goyetisa on Tuesday, May 01, 2007
I've almost quit reading after a hundred pages but I am glad I persevered. It's a nice easy-read novel and all the characters interested me, especially Lesley. It's going to be mailed today to Mamikaem.

Journal Entry 37 by Mamikaem from Maryland Heights, Missouri USA on Wednesday, May 09, 2007
Received this a few days ago. I'm in the middle of another bookring now, so will get to this as soon as that one is finished. Thanks!

UPDATE: 05/17/2007 - Starting this today.

Journal Entry 38 by Mamikaem from Maryland Heights, Missouri USA on Saturday, May 26, 2007
I am absolutely fascinated by books written in journal/letter format. Although I don't consider myself a romance reader, this format is what attracted me to joining this book ring. I don't regret it either! Like previous readers, I found it hard to put down--"just one more letter!" The ending left me longing for more! Even though it's not my genre, I would consider reading something else by Debbie Macomber. Thanks to all before me who kept passing this along.

Mereader has not responded to PMs. Awaiting a reply from the next reader, then it will be on its way again.

UPDATE: 06/14/07 - Gategypsy just PM'd me and asked to be moved to the bottom of the list. I will try the next person in line! I heard from Southernfryed. This will be mailed out to her in the next few days.

UPDATE: 06/25/07 - Finally got this mailed out today. Thanks for your patience!

Journal Entry 39 by wingSouthernfryedwing from Lexington, South Carolina USA on Thursday, June 28, 2007
This book arrived today. I am looking forward to reading it. It will go to the top of Mount TBR and hopefully I will get to start it this weekend. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 40 by wingSouthernfryedwing from Lexington, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, July 10, 2007
I really loved this book! It is the best Debbie Macomber book that I have read. Like others have said, I kept wanting to read one more letter, or journal entry. I enjoyed the references to recent history and that they made me think about where I was when that particular event happened.

I have already pm'd sherlockfan and gotten her address.

Journal Entry 41 by Sherlockfan from Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, August 27, 2007
Thanks Southernfryed for sending this to me.
Can't be sure which day it actually arrived because I've been away o/seas but it was waiting for my return on Sunday 26th Aug. I've almost finished reading it so will send pm to Gate Gypsy as it will be ready very soon.

Journal Entry 42 by Sherlockfan from Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, September 09, 2007
Posting to GateGypsy tomorrow, 10 September.
Thoroughly enjoyed this books, especially the novel way it was composed with letters, email etc.
Thanks to all who've gone before and made useful comments. There is not a lot of useful extra thoughts I can add. I'll definitely be looking out for other books by this author.
Travel safely little book.

Journal Entry 43 by GateGypsy from Ladysmith, British Columbia Canada on Friday, October 12, 2007
This arrived in the post today, and even though it's one of my LOL (Last On List) rings, I really am looking forward to reading it. Thank you so much, Lyzzybee, for being kind enough to move me to the end of this one, and to Sherlockfan, for sending it all the way from New Zealand... and everyone else in the ring for reading and passing it on so it would make it all the way to the end of the line **laughs**