Misfortune

by Wesley Stace | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by cats-eye of Bishop Auckland, County Durham United Kingdom on 1/10/2006
Journal Entry 1 by cats-eye from Bishop Auckland, County Durham United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 10, 2006
this copy is a Trade paperback

From the Publisher
"Gormenghast meets Middlesex meets Fingersmith: a brilliant gothic novel by a truly exceptional new writer"

Synopsis (from Amazon.co.uk):
Lord Geoffrey Loveall is the richest man in England, reclusive, and heretofore heirless lord of the sprawling manse of Love Hall. He arrives home one fateful morning with a most unusual package - a baby that he presents as the inheritor to the family name and fortune. In honour of his beloved sister, who died at the age of five, Loveall names the baby Rose Old. The household, relieved at the continuation of the Loveall line, assiduously ignores the fact that this Rose has a thorn...that she is, in fact, a boy. Rose grows up inside the endlessly fascinating maze of halls and lawns that make up Love Hall, along with the two inquisitive and ebullient servant children who are her only friends; all three are educated by Rose's adoptive mother Anonyma in the musty recesses of the Octagonal Library. Rose grows up blissfully unaware of her own gender, casually hitting boundaries at Love Hall's yearly cricket game and learning to shave her face even as she continues to wear more and more elaborate dresses, as befits a growing young lady. Until, of course, the fateful day when Rose's world comes crashing down around her, and she is banished from Love Hall as an impostor by those who would claim her place as heir. Filled with unexpected plot twists, outrageous characters, odd details and a vivid, velvety historical background, this is an epic, Dickensian story. Fanciful, whimsical and wry, it is also a moving meditation on the agony of adolescence and the universal difficulty of determining one's identity. Set in the early years of the nineteenth century, and an England at once as believable as Sarah Waters' and as grotesque as Mervyn Peake's, Misfortune is a gothic novel for our times - a huge, rich, funny, exciting work of fiction that is destined to become a classic.

Journal Entry 2 by cats-eye from Bishop Auckland, County Durham United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 28, 2006
Boy, this book certainly had its ups and downs! I was totally hooked from the first page (ok, from the plot synopsis really!), but then about 1/4 of the way through the book, the narration syle changes from third to first person which *really* bugged me. After that, I swayed back and forth from being mildly intrigued to just wishing it would end..or at least GO somewhere. I was never really able to care about the characters, and the story line that sounded sooo promising from the synopsis just faded into utter nonsense by about 2/3 of the way through. *sigh*. Maybe I just set my expectations too high for this one...

ETA: This will be heading to Shaunie soon as part of the Historical Fiction Swap!

Journal Entry 3 by cats-eye from Bishop Auckland, County Durham United Kingdom on Monday, April 03, 2006
posted today via surface mail

Journal Entry 4 by shaunesay from Olathe, Kansas USA on Tuesday, May 02, 2006
Received today! I'll give it a try and see what I think! Note to self: WestofMars would be interested in this one also.

Thanks Cats-Eye!

Journal Entry 5 by shaunesay from Olathe, Kansas USA on Saturday, October 21, 2006
I ended up finding a copy on the dollar shelf at Half Price Books, so this copy is on to Aceofhearts from the History Swap! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, November 01, 2006
received today in the mail as part of the Historical Fiction Swap. Thanks

Journal Entry 7 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, December 15, 2007
This is a bizarre book. The current Lord Loveall rescues a baby from a hound on his way home one night. He then decides to present this baby as his only heir. He marries his dead sister's governess and brings up Rose as his own. Rose is brought up with 2 servant children as her only friends. Then her world comes crashing down when it is discovered that she is a he.
He is thrown out as an imposter and is banished from Love Hall.

The story as far as this synopsis goes is intriguing and interesting. Full Stop!!. I had a diffcult time getting through this book. There are times when it just does not make any sense at all. The story line gets more and more bizarre and completely unbelieveable. The characters do things that just don't make sense, starting with throwing out Rose for no discernable reason.

That said I did finish the book

Journal Entry 8 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, January 08, 2008
mailed to my birthday partner

Journal Entry 9 by Ladyjanet from Normal, Illinois USA on Saturday, January 26, 2008
I'm going to give this a try since the premise sounds intriguing. We'll see how it goes... just another adventure!