100 Strokes of the Brush Before Bed

by Melissa P. | Other |
Registered by tireddebb of Mystic, Connecticut USA on 1/10/2006
Journal Entry 1 by tireddebb from Mystic, Connecticut USA on Tuesday, January 10, 2006
Shocking?...yes but Anne Rice does this so much better

Released 14 yrs ago (2/3/2006 UTC) at fellow bookcrossing member in by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

A RABCK for HallieK
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by HallieK from Austin, Texas USA on Thursday, February 16, 2006
This little RABCK came in the mail today along with a surprise! How fun! I'm quite excited (!) to read this one as I've heard both good and bad things about it. Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness and generosity tireddebb!

Journal Entry 4 by HallieK from Austin, Texas USA on Thursday, March 02, 2006
I finished this last week. It was an interesting read. It's certainly steamy, but it seem so far-fetched. I just can't imagine a teenager just deciding to have all those different encounters. I think the teenage writing style, so overdramatic, and the translation probably have something to do with the fact that it was a good read, but that I didn't love it. Glad I got a chance to check it out, though!

Sending this out as a bookray. Here's the list of participants:
1. LaurieS
2. charlenemartel
3. cally-c
4. okyrhoe
5. hshah
6. amberC
7. msjoanna
Hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 5 by BarkLessWagMore from Merrimack, New Hampshire USA on Friday, July 07, 2006
This book arrived today and I'll be starting it soon.

Journal Entry 6 by BarkLessWagMore from Merrimack, New Hampshire USA on Monday, July 24, 2006
Okay, just a few comments since I'm only halfway through here. I'm not finding this book erotic just an uncomfortable read. It is horribly overwritten and the "erotic" encounters told in such a detached way that they're not at all sexy. This is a story about a young girl who needs help! She seems to purposely choose sexual partners who will never love her back (oh you have a girlfriend? Great, lets screw!), just use her horribly and walk away. She's not empowered just pathetically sad. It's hard for me to find anything positive about this one so far . . .

Journal Entry 7 by BarkLessWagMore from Merrimack, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, July 25, 2006
I've finished. My overall opinion of the book remains the same. It was over written, a bit tedious in spots, and the heroine didn't do much in the way of growing. In the end, she just got lucky and that was a bit of a letdown. I would've liked to have seen her stand on her own for awhile and better yet to stand up to all of the people who were using her.

Ah well, thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 8 by BarkLessWagMore at Bookring in n/a, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (7/25/2006 UTC) at Bookring in n/a, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

I've sent this book off to charlenemartel in Canada. I hope you enjoy it more than grumpy ol' me!

Journal Entry 9 by charlenemartel on Friday, August 04, 2006
Book arrived with me yesterday and I will be reading it asap and sending it on its way.

Journal Entry 10 by charlenemartel on Monday, December 11, 2006
Okay, read it, sorry for the delay. I have to say that much as I wanted to give this book a great review, I really couldn't. I expected so much more from it and it came across to me as a book that was sadly lacking in almost every area. That may be just me though. I had read black cat novels before and often their books are a lot of fun. This one just fell flat for me.

Messaging the next person for their info and hope they enjoy it more :)

Journal Entry 11 by SandDanz from New Albany, Indiana USA on Friday, February 23, 2007
Eek! I can't believe I never journaled this and just found it still lying in my apartment. I read it back in December when it first arrived and forgot all about it. I'm messaging cally-c right now! Sorry for the hold up!!!

Journal Entry 12 by cally-c from Alfreton, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Monday, March 05, 2007
Arrived this morning - thanks SandDanz!
Will get to it soon.

Journal Entry 13 by cally-c from Alfreton, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 03, 2007
Didn't like this one at all, it tries too hard to be poetic, but falls very flat.
If it's true, it's shocking, but I'm not sure I believe that it's a true story at all.

Have posted this on!

Journal Entry 14 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Thursday, April 12, 2007
Arrived in my PO box today. Thanks HallieK for including me in the bookray.

And a very special thank you to cally-c for the RABCK. Woo hoo!!!

Journal Entry 15 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Friday, May 04, 2007
Halfway through this 'diary' I remembered a wonderful book I'd read many years ago, Jens Bjorneboe's Without a Stitch. In many ways this narrative follows the same outline - a teenager's foray into the 'adult' world, recounted as an odyssey of awakening.

I don't know if it's the fault of a poor translation, or whether Melissa's prose is over the top at times. There are moments when her words don't convince the reader of their authenticity. Sometimes she sounds too 'literary' for her age. For example, the references to the mythic quest motif are too obvious (the rocks of Polyphemus, the river Lethe, etc), and also the Lolita game she is fond of 'playing'.

On the other hand, I appreciated the passages where Melissa reflects upon her physical and mental state of being, when she is up close and personal with her image in the mirror. Those segments are evocative of the intimate, yet unsettling, self-portraits in Natasha Merritt's Digital Diaries.

Journal Entry 16 by hshah from Mumbai, Maharashtra India on Tuesday, July 10, 2007
Received thanks! Started on it but doesnt seem like my kind of a book. so it shall be on its way to amberC once i receive the addy.
Thanks again!

amberC has asked to be skipped. PMed msjoanna.

Updated: August 8, 2007
Received address. To be sent on payday. Aug 16, 07.

Journal Entry 17 by hshah at International Post in Mumbai, Maharashtra India on Saturday, September 01, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (8/31/2007 UTC) at International Post in Mumbai, Maharashtra India

The book is on its way to msjoanna. Hope you enjoy reading.