Middlesex

by Jeffrey Eugenides | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by mmjrules of Thessaloniki - Θεσσαλονίκη, Thessaloniki Greece on 1/6/2006
Journal Entry 1 by mmjrules from Thessaloniki - Θεσσαλονίκη, Thessaloniki Greece on Friday, January 06, 2006
From the backcover:

"I was born twice: first, as a baby girl , on a remarkably smogless Detroit day in January of 1960; and then again, as a teenage boy, in an emergency room near Petoskey, Michigan, in August of 1974."

So begins the breathtaking story of Calliope Stephanides and three generations of the Greek-American Stephanides family, who travel from a tiny village overlooking Mount Olympos in Asia Minor to Prohibition-era Detroit, witnessing its glory days as the Motor City, and the race riots of 1967, before they move out to the tree-linde streets of suburban Grosse Point, Michigan.
To understand why Calliope is not like other girls, she has to uncover a guilty family secret and the astonishing genetic history that turns her into Cal, one of the most audacious and wondrous narrators in contemporary fiction. Lyrical and thrilling, MIDDLESEX is an exhilarating reinvention of the American epic.

I received this book (along with a box of traditional sweets from Krete) as a present from Myrto for the Bally-Claus 2005 event! Thanks Myrto, you're great!:-)

Journal Entry 2 by mmjrules from Thessaloniki - Θεσσαλονίκη, Thessaloniki Greece on Monday, February 06, 2006
I really enjoyed it, it was much better than I expected and much more diverse, even perverted in some ways(i.e. two 14 years old girls making out in bed)! I found it a little too big, but not tiring!

I hope I get my hands on "The Virgin Suicides", I've seen the movie but now I'd like to read it as well

Many thanks go to Myrto, my Bally-Claus match-made-in-heaven!:-)
Many kisses Myrto!

Journal Entry 3 by mmjrules at my house in a fellow couchsurfer, by hand -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, January 20, 2008

Released 12 yrs ago (1/20/2008 UTC) at my house in a fellow couchsurfer, by hand -- Controlled Releases

I am giving this book to my fellow couchsurfer, Ania, so that it can travel the world!

I hope you enjoy it!