Catching Midnight

by Emma Holly | Romance |
Registered by CheriePie of Campbell, California USA on 1/6/2006
Journal Entry 1 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Friday, January 06, 2006
Received through PaperBackSwap.com.

Book Description
Deep in the Scottish wood live the children of the night. At times, they run through the wilderness as a pack of wolves: at others, they take human form, pairing off to revel in the throes of sexual ecstasy. But when they cross paths with the world of the mortals, nothing will ever be the same...

1349. Orphaned by the plague, young Gillian is rescued from certain death by a pack of shape-shifting immortals. Once a human child, now Gillian is one of them herself, reveling in the pleasures of the flesh and the hunt. This ethereal beauty would be happy if only her heart did not yearn for the world beyond their caves...

Aimery Fitz Clare is mortal, second son to a noble house, and a master falconer. Little does he dream that his latest "catch" is more than she seems. Gillian has taken a falcon's form to escape her immortal keepers, only to find herself losing her heart to her newest captor. Aimery's kindness is a powerful seduction, not to mention his human beauty and warmth. Does Gillian dare embrace this forbidden love, and can it survive her jealous breathren baring their fangs?

Journal Entry 2 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Friday, January 06, 2006
Bookrabbit lent me the 2nd book in this series, Hunting Midnight, which I read back in November while I was vacationing in Key West. Though it wasn't one of my favorites, the story intriqued me enough to seek out this first book in the series, and also add the third, Courting Midnight, to my wish list as well.

Journal Entry 3 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Tuesday, April 18, 2006
I read this book after Hunting Midnight, which is the 2nd in the series. This story centers around Gillian, who is mentioned quite often in the 2nd book, so I enjoyed finding out more about her, though I wish I'd read this one first as you also find out a bit more history about some of the other major characters.

Gillian comes to the pack as a young girl of 10 years old, whose mother and brother are in the death grips of the plague sweeping the country. She is adopted by the upyr pack and grows to become a strong upyr, partially because she had the some natural gifts, such as the gift of sight, to begin with. Unfortunately, Gillian feels unfulfilled and eventually leaves the cave and protection of the upyr to explore the human world. As a shapeshifter, she finds her familiar in a falcon, but is then captured by a kind falconer named Aimery Fitz Clare whom she eventually falls in love with.

Like bookrabbit, who lent me Hunting Midnight, I think I liked that one a little bit better than this one though not by much. And though the 2nd book expanded on some of the history of the characters, there was certainly enough information given about the major characters in that book (with the exception of Gillian since she was part of that book in word only) so that you didn't feel lost if you started the series there.

This book is reserved for NeedSun in Canada, who's also borrowing Hunting Midnight before returning it to bookrabbit.

Journal Entry 4 by CheriePie at on Sunday, April 23, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (4/20/2006 UTC) at

Handed off to NeedSun when I arrived in Toronto for the 2006 BookCrossing Convention. :)

Journal Entry 5 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Monday, April 24, 2006
Thanks for sharing this and Hunting Midnight with me. I had picked up Courting Midnight at a used bookstore and was waiting until I had the first two to read them all.

Journal Entry 6 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, August 08, 2006
This book was definitely a romance as opposed to a vampire thriller. I very much liked the characters. No one was made out to be perfect, the hero and heroine were both really strong...no swooning virgins here. Good book and lured me to read the next one right away.

This book will head back to you, Cherie, once I have a bunch to send your way.

Thank you again for sharing!

Edit Sept 6:Sent today by surface mail to Cherie

Journal Entry 7 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Wednesday, September 20, 2006
This is back home with me now... thanks Jo, though you were more than welcome to keep it and do as you wish with it. I'm waiting to hear back a few things on the VLAD board as a lot of members expressed interest in this book but I believe Woosang added them to her existing ring since it was currently traveling around Europe anyway. So I'll either RABCK this to ladiibbug most likely since she expressed an interest but was hesitant to join any more rings, or else post it out to BM/PBS to get me some more points for all the good books that are always posted in both places. :)

Released 12 yrs ago (10/20/2006 UTC) at PaperBackSwap.com in First Class Mail, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

Sent to a PaperBackSwap.com member via First Class Mail with Delivery Confirmation # 9102805213907271554320 on 20-Oct-2006.

Journal Entry 9 by VJay from East Wenatchee, Washington USA on Tuesday, October 24, 2006
Received from Paperbackswap member today.