The Last Temptation: A Novel

by Val McDermid | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingAceofHeartswing of Mississauga, Ontario Canada on 12/30/2005
Journal Entry 1 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Friday, December 30, 2005
Coming to terms over her breakup with criminal profiler Dr. Tony Hill, Chief Inspector Carol Jordan plunges into a risky undercover sting: track down a European drug trafficker and gain his confidence. But she's being tracked as well-by a serial killer whose psychosexual madness is born out of the darkest corners of history. In quiet isolation, Tony Hill is laying to rest the scars of his past-until he's recruited back into business on a case he can't ignore. An evil is striking uncomfortably close to home, and casting a killer shadow over the life of his long-time colleague and sometimes lover. As the danger closes in, and as Tony and Carol cross paths to navigate the terrain of a shattered human mind, they have no one left to trust but themselves-and fear that there's no place left to run as a killer promises to fulfill his most twisted dreams

Journal Entry 2 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Friday, September 25, 2009
Carol Jordan is now working undercover in Europe trying to catch a mastermind drug trafficker. She is still reeling over her breakup with criminal profiler, Dr. Tony Hill. Carol is working at getting into the confidence of the drug trafficker.

A serial killer is on the loose in Europe, always striking near waterways. The serial killer is psychotic because of Nazi atrocities. Carol ends up being on the serial killers death list.

Carol needs help in order to get 'into' the mind of the drug trafficker. Who can she call? Dr. Tony Hill, who has retired from this line of work, comes to her rescue. She also is investigating the serial killer and who better to help her but Tony Hill.

This book has a lot of twists and turns as McDermid always delivers. A great psychological thriller!

Journal Entry 3 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, December 19, 2009
Reading now!

Journal Entry 4 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Thursday, January 07, 2010
Carol Jordan is pulled into the European policing ring into the middle of a sting against a big criminal in Germany, Tadeusz Radecki. It turns out that Carol looks exactly like Radecki's deceased girlfriend and the police think Carol can use this to do business with Radecki. While Carol attempts to woo Radecki, she learns of a serial killer that her local police contact is trying to catch. Carol brings in her trusted friend Dr. Tony Hill in to draft up a profile to help catch the killer.

When Tony gets to Germany though, he has his work cut out for him. This killer seems to be killing only psychologists by drowning them and scalping them. What is the motive to this killer? What is he trying to prove? Tony must work against the clock to help find the killer.

I had troubles getting into this book, which is rare for a McDermid book. Though I suspect that could have been because it was around the holiday time and I kept thinking of all the things I needed to do. Once I was about 70 pages into the book though, I found that it picked up quickly and even though there were a couple of stories combined I was kept wondering what was going to happen.

There wasn't really a twist at the end of this book, which is a shame because McDermid usually does a good job of this. It's not McDermid's best works but it's still a good mystery and one that will keep you turning the pages.

Journal Entry 5 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, January 10, 2010
This book is back with me

Journal Entry 6 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, March 28, 2010
mailed today to Loriped who won this in a YBS swap

Journal Entry 7 by loriped from Keizer, Oregon USA on Saturday, April 03, 2010
Thanks for sending this book to me. I look forward to reading it.