Sharon and My Mother-in-Law: Ramallah Diaries

by Suad Amiry | Biographies & Memoirs |
ISBN: 1862078033 Global Overview for this book
Registered by bookmanu of Cascais, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on 1/28/2006
Journal Entry 1 by bookmanu from Cascais, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Saturday, January 28, 2006
Pre-numbered label used for registration.

Taken from Amazon.com:

From Publishers Weekly
Amiry's parents were among the thousands of Palestinians who fled from their homes in 1948; they went to Amman, Jordan, where the author was brought up before attending the American University in Beirut to study architecture. She returned to Ramallah as a tourist in 1981, but then she met Salim Tamari, fell in love, married him and returned to the city, now heavily occupied by Israeli troops. This book is an attempt to illustrate the life of a middle-class, Westernized woman in an occupied territory: the daily anxieties and struggles with curfews, roadblocks, barricades, body searches, gunfire, endless red tape, discourtesy and general harassment;not to mention the less than peaceful presence of a mother-in-law taken in for safety's sake.

About to travel the world as a bookray - preference given to Bookcrossers taking part in the 5 books, 5 countries, 5 continents reading challenge set by Sheepseeker .

Journal Entry 2 by Piggeldy from Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, February 25, 2006
The book arrived here safe! There are 50 pages of This is your life left to be read and then Neither here nor there - it may take two weeks until I can start this one :-(

One more question: Who's the next one? I can't find a list...?!?

Edit, March 12th: I am still shaking my head - it is simply too absurd to believe it! However, I admire her (sometimes really ironic) sense of humour to master everyday life under the given circumstances.

Edit, Match 17th: Finally I got to the post office...

Journal Entry 3 by j4neyo from Whitchurch, Shropshire United Kingdom on Monday, March 27, 2006
Received safely in the post this morning. Looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 4 by j4neyo from Whitchurch, Shropshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 22, 2006
I really enjoyed this book. The author is able to find humour in the midst of an Israeli occupation.

Posted to katayoun this morning.

Journal Entry 5 by wingkatayounwing from Tehran, Tehran Iran on Saturday, May 20, 2006
thanks bookmanu and j4neyo, the book is here, i've got half a book before this and then i am going to start this. bookmanu could you please let me know where the book is to go next. ... can't wait to read this, would i find things that are the same? is it anything like what i imagine life is there? how close are the images that we see on news and everyday life as told by this book? ...

Journal Entry 6 by wingkatayounwing from Tehran, Tehran Iran on Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Journal Entry 7 by wingkatayounwing from Tehran, Tehran Iran on Thursday, May 25, 2006
done! will be back with more comments, gotta run now, though i still don't have name of the next particioant

Journal Entry 8 by wingkatayounwing from Tehran, Tehran Iran on Saturday, July 01, 2006
mailed today and on it's way to the next reader, it should be there in a month at most, 10 days at best!! (touch wood! touch wood!)

Journal Entry 9 by shpriz1 from Clifton, New Jersey USA on Saturday, July 15, 2006
The book is here, in Brooklyn (this was fast)...Who's next on the list? Where is the list? :)

Journal Entry 10 by shpriz1 from Clifton, New Jersey USA on Friday, August 11, 2006
Wow...What a great book. I absolutely loved Suad's humor. Her "conversation" with President Bush made me cry with laughter