Obsidian Butterfly (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter (Paperback))

by Laurell K. Hamilton | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by Morgaine77 of Münchenstein, Baselland Switzerland on 12/18/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Morgaine77 from Münchenstein, Baselland Switzerland on Sunday, December 18, 2005
I discovered Anita while browsing Barnes & Noble during a stop-over in New York. I bought the first book of the series - Guilty Pleasures - and got immediately hooked. It took me about three days to finish the book. Then I stormed the next bookstore I could find to get all the sequels available. :-) Yes, I like Anita Blake that much! :-) I had to read all the following novels because I just NEEDED to know what's happening in Anita's life! :-) And it got juicier and juicier with every book...

Yes, there are some gruesome scenes in this book. However, all these people that scream about that... Read the paper and you get the same and worse every single day...
Still, the book is great, especially since you learn quite a bit about Edward!

Found on amazon.com, great review:
"Laurell Hamilton dedicated "Obsidian Butterfly," to her "Edward fans" - meaning that nice guy Ted Forrester, whose alter ego Edward, a sociopathic assassin, co-star, along with protagonist Anita, in this ninth novel in the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series. Edward, is a hit man specializing in monsters - vampires, lycanthropes, even an occasional human. He is an equal opportunity killer, a predator, no doubt about it. Monsters call him "Death," but then they call Anita "Executioner." Both have bad, but honest, raps in the world of the undead. Edward is also Anita's deadliest ally and good friend, when he's not fantasizing about killing her in a duel to the death to see which is faster on the draw. The book opens with a telephone call, Edward to Anita. He wants a favor. She owes him. He needs her help, backup assistance, in Santa Fe, NM, now. What else can Anita do, but go?

Edward's sociable half, Ted, meets her at the airport. Ted Forrester is Edward's only legal identity, as well as the persona he assumes when dealing with most humans. He is a bounty hunter, it looks better on a business card than assassin. The ease with which Edward switches back and forth, between himself and the likeable Ted, is spooky. Then again, Richard Zeeman, Anita's primary love interest, switches to his werewolf form quickly. And vampire Jean-Claude, the other love...forgive me, I digress. But you get the drift. Ted, rather than Edward, meets Anita because his fiance and her two children are outside waiting for them. Engaged? Her name is Donna, a New Age, naive single mother with an adolescent son and a little girl who could pass for Shirley Temple. Ted must have popped the question while Edward was focused elsewhere, but both halves appear to be extremely attached to this Norman Rockwell-like family. Ted/Edward realize he is unable to maintain normalcy long enough to marry. Also, anyone he loves becomes a potential hostage for his numerous enemies.

The New Mexican authorities, police and FBI, have asked Ted to assist them in an unspeakably savage serial murder case. The few survivors have been skinned alive and mutilated, the dead were brutally ripped limb from limb. Yeachh! Supposing that the predator(s) might be supernatural, Edward contacted Anita. Despite Anita's record as a consultant to the St. Louis Regional Preternatural Investigation Team, the bigoted local police resent her interference, especially the Lieutenant, who thinks she's a witch. Working alongside Edward and Anita are the backup team, Olaf and Bernardo. Olaf is an unrepentant rapist, who hates Anita on sight, especially since Edward thinks so highly of her. And hunky Bernardo is more than willing to have an extremely short-term, intimate relationship with her, which Edward strongly supports. He really wants her to distance from Richard and Jean-Claude.

All known monster species are eliminated as possible perpetrators during the investigation, but there is definitely dark magic involved with the crimes. The clues point to magic which was once known to the Aztecs. The search takes our team from the local Vampire Queen, Itzpapalotl, to the nearest den of werewolves, their Ulfric and his pet "'witch," a fellow necromancer, like Anita. Anita senses a power so strong it turns her blood cold, and has since day one. Ultimately, this is about good vs. evil. I'm rooting for the good guys, although sometimes it is hard to tell them apart. The thrills, chills and mystery along the way will rivet you to your seat, and your eyes to the page. Even with the obvious absence of the romantic triumvirate and the unusual suspects, "Obsidian Butterfly" provides an excellent read.

My only complaint, are the initial 40 pages, which find Anita and Edward bickering, bantering, threatening, etc. Enough, Ms. Hamilton! We all know Ms. Blake is a tough lady. You bog the reader down with an unwieldy vaudeville act as an introduction to the story. This gets old real fast. I decided to rate the book 5 stars, however, because the storyline and narrative are spellbinding - even after the bad beginning. As always, Laurell Hamilton and cohorts rock!"

Journal Entry 2 by Morgaine77 from Münchenstein, Baselland Switzerland on Tuesday, May 16, 2006
Books #5 - #13 in the series will be made into a book spiral.

Bloody Bones (Anita Blake #5)
The Killing Dance (Anita Blake #6)
Burnt Offerings (Anita Blake #7)
Blue Moon (Anita Blake #8)
Obsidian Butterfly (Anita Blake #9)
Narcissus in Chains (Anita Blake #10)
Cerulean Sins (Anita Blake #11)
Incubus Dreams (Anita Blake #12)
Micah (Anita Blake #13)

Some guidelines:
1. Please journal the book when it arrives (so we know it's safe and sound with you), once you read it (to let us know how you liked it) and when you ship it off (so we know it's on its way to the next reader).

2. Please PM the next person in line before shipping the book off, not only for the adress, but also to ask if they are still interested in the ring! (please do that ALWAYS before shipping anything off, even if it's a book spiral!)

3. Try not to take longer than eight weeks to read the book. But we all understand that sometimes life (and bookrings...) just happens. :-) In that case, please make another journal entry to let us know that the book is not forgotten.

4. Surface shipping is perfectly acceptable.

5. And the most important thing: Have fun!

Here are the participants so far:

cathepsut (Egypt) / Intl.
Rianonne (AT) / Europe
sweetf (UK) / Europe
mikime (IT) /
CandyDarling FI / intl.
adeps (SE) / ???
Ulrika (SE) / ???
joasik (NL)

Journal Entry 3 by Morgaine77 at Book Spiral in Book Spiral, Book Spiral -- Controlled Releases on Monday, July 31, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (7/31/2006 UTC) at Book Spiral in Book Spiral, Book Spiral -- Controlled Releases

Travelling to Egypt. Enjoy!

Edit 18/11/06:
Since the original books seem to have been lost, I got replacement copies and they're now travelling to Egypt by taking a detour through the UK. *keepingmyfingerscrossed*

Journal Entry 4 by cathepsut from Metzingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Thursday, November 30, 2006
After a trip of biblical proportions it finally made its way to Egypt, thanks Morgaine77! Now I need a holiday, to make my way quickly through the other rings in front of it..... *unplugging my telly now*

Journal Entry 5 by cathepsut from Metzingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Thursday, January 04, 2007
Sorry for the delay, didn't finish it on time before the holiday, had some 80 pages left and did not want to haul the book through the whole of Africa....

Synopsis from Amazon:
"Obsidian Butterfly, the ninth of Laurell K Hamilton's Antia Blake Vampire Hunter novels, is not quite the mixture as before, concentrating as it does on Anita's occasional partnership with the stone-cold killer Edward rather than on her love for werewolf Richard and vampire Jean-Claude. Edward brings her down to New Mexico when Ted, his legal bounty hunter secret identity, is called in on an investigation he cannot handle.
Hamilton provides the usual thrills, moments of perverse eroticism and extreme supernatural ickiness; she also delves rather more deeply than usual into what makes her heroine tick and into Anita's fears that she may be becoming too like the sociopathic ruthless Edward for her own sanity and salvation. The stark desert terrain of New Mexico is neatly visualised--the novel's background is effectively used as a counterpoint to the heroine's fears and uncertainties. As usual, Hamilton does an effective job of delivering what her audience have come to love and, for once, she gives them a little bit more."

Good summary of the book. The story's theme is quite a turn-around from the previous ones. A lot less of the supernatural, although it is still there. And a lot of whistling bullets. Very good again. The previous book started to explore Anita's fears of what she is becoming a lot more, which gives more depth to the character. I miss the lightness and the fun of the earlier books, but the darker look at the world in these later ones has a lot of appeal, too.

My book #55 in 2006, first published in 2000; 596 pages; Total pages for 2006: 18,652.

Journal Entry 6 by cathepsut at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, January 04, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (1/6/2007 UTC) at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Off to Austria, enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by Rianonne from Wien Bezirk 22 - Donaustadt, Wien Austria on Monday, January 15, 2007
The postman just rang the bell :) Sadly it has to wait a little bit on my Mt.TBR of BookRings .... but not for too long, I promise!

Journal Entry 8 by Rianonne from Wien Bezirk 22 - Donaustadt, Wien Austria on Monday, March 19, 2007
It took me ages to read this Anita Blake novel :(
At first I was thrilled to learn more about Edward but the beginning was quite boring and for me, the rest was getting any better. There was a lot of action, still it didn't quite catch me. I found the repeating of vampires and their glamours on a stage and meeting them "backstage" for some torture session quite dull. I've imagined there'd be more imagination, a new edge to Anita's world Ms Hamilton ...

Journal Entry 9 by sweetf from Bridgwater, Somerset United Kingdom on Friday, April 13, 2007
Received and read, will post to mikime today.

I enjoyed learning more about Edward and found the book enjoyable overall, but I do agree that the vampire setup was a little repetitive.

Can't wait for the next one!

Journal Entry 10 by wingmikimewing from Roma, Lazio Italy on Thursday, April 19, 2007
I received this yesterday....but haven't received Blue Moon yet! :| So I'll wait for Blue Moon, read that and then go on with this! :)

Journal Entry 11 by wingmikimewing from Roma, Lazio Italy on Friday, May 18, 2007
I finished this one yesterday. I began it with some mistrust: a book where Edward takes major role in the action, rather than our beloved duo vampire + werewolf??? But I must say I enjoyed the book very much. The action tends to be more violent in a human way than in previous novels, but when the magic stuff turns up, it's big, mysterious and scary stuff!!! Also, the big bad vampires Anita gets to meet this time don't seem as bad as others, but I still found them quite fascinating in their "godlike" delusions. I loved and was totally hooked by the suspence, and I even found the ending not as hurried-up as other endings were in Anita Blake's novels. Once again Anita gets to know herself and (most incredibly) Edward much better, as well as other characters that most probably will show up again, for better or worse... I'm looking forward to next one! Will send this to CandyDarling this afternoon, hopefully. Thanks for letting me read it!

Journal Entry 12 by CandyDarling from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, May 24, 2007
Got this in the mail today, thanks! Yay, I'm looking forward to reading about Edward!

Journal Entry 13 by CandyDarling from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, November 03, 2008
I'm really grateful that Laurell K. Hamilton finally let Anita and us readers get to know Edward better. I found the change in scenery refreshing, and it was great to read a book with lots of violence and almost no agonizing over which man to choose, Richard or Jean-Claude.

I liked that there were more gunfights and less supernatural action this time around. Bernard and Olaf were great characters, and the murders were really intriguing. But most of all I liked what the witch told Anita about the marks that bind her to Jean-Claude and Richard. Hopefully she will come closer to a resolution in later books.

I had a few minor quibbles though. Why did Laurell K. Hamilton always describe the Aztec language as sounding like Spanish? Their language had absolutely no resemblance to Spanish. And why would it, after all their only link was that the Spaniards conquered the Aztecs' land and butchered their people... Also, she described the Gardnerian (which she spelled wrong) and Alexandrian traditions of Wicca as older than the neo-pagan movement, which is ridiculous because there was no wicca before the neo-pagan movement. Both traditions are 20th century inventions, and they are part of the neo-pagan movement.

Journal Entry 14 by CandyDarling at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Monday, November 03, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (11/3/2008 UTC) at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden

Sent the book to Ulrika today, as adeps asked to be skipped. I hope you like it!

Journal Entry 15 by Ulrika from Landvetter, Västergötland Sweden on Tuesday, November 11, 2008
The book has arrived. Will probably start reading this as soon as I finish the book I'm on at the moment. Very curious about Edward!

//Ulrika

Journal Entry 16 by Ulrika from Landvetter, Västergötland Sweden on Thursday, November 20, 2008
It was nice to read about Anita interacting with regular (even if bad) guys instead of the supernatural duo. There was a lot of violence in the story, but written in an interesting way. It was also nice to get a break from all the sex. But I'm very curious about which guy Anita will choose in the end.

Journal Entry 17 by Ulrika from Landvetter, Västergötland Sweden on Wednesday, December 03, 2008
Since joasik didn't want it, the book is on the way home. Thanks for sharing, Morgaine77!

//Ulrika

Journal Entry 18 by Morgaine77 from Münchenstein, Baselland Switzerland on Sunday, July 19, 2009
I apologize for not journaling earlier. The book arrived safely with me.