Firestorm (Star Trek, Book 68)

by L.A. Graf | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by hak42 of Durham, New Hampshire USA on 12/13/2005
Journal Entry 1 by hak42 from Durham, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, December 13, 2005
I remember really liking this book and being impressed with Uhura in it.

I'm still amused that the authors' pseudonym means: "Let's All Get Rich And Famous".

Journal Entry 2 by hak42 from Durham, New Hampshire USA on Monday, December 26, 2005
Shipped as part of my Star Trek Bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by Ibis3 from Newcastle, Ontario Canada on Saturday, January 21, 2006
Took this from the bookbox. I think I've read it before, but I'm not sure.

Journal Entry 4 by Ibis3 at Newcastle, Ontario Canada on Friday, November 12, 2010
This one wasn't too bad. Liked that it wasn't all about Kirk & his buddies, but Checkov, Sulu, & Uhura instead. As a bonus, the Checkov/Sulu bits could easily be read in a slashy kind of way (throw in Uhura for a ménage à trois if you like) so that was fun. There were a few gaping holes in the premise (a volcanic planet with an ecosystem consisting of a slime mould and possibly some kind of intelligent silicate lifeform living inside the volcanoes? with enough oxygen in the atmosphere to sustain humanoid life?) and a number of questionable plot points (disruptors that disintegrate inanimate objects but merely wound main characters --redshirts and no-name enemies as always fare worse, motivation and action by the villain that are a bit cardboard and vague). But then, we don't read Trek novels for scientific accuracy or structural cohesion, right?

(p.s. I hadn't read it before after all.)