Enemy Unseen (Star Trek, Book 51)

by V.E. Mitchell | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by hak42 of Durham, New Hampshire USA on 12/13/2005
Journal Entry 1 by hak42 from Durham, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, December 13, 2005
I love the cover art for this book. It's excellent. It's the original reason I bought this book.

Journal Entry 2 by hak42 from Durham, New Hampshire USA on Monday, December 26, 2005
Shipped as part of my Star Trek Bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by Ibis3 from Newcastle, Ontario Canada on Sunday, January 22, 2006
Picked this one out from bookbox.

Journal Entry 4 by Ibis3 at Newcastle, Ontario Canada on Sunday, March 24, 2013
I was rather turned off by the sexism (women treated as objects, not only by the aliens but by the crew--including Bones teasing Kirk about his being saddled with a few wives given to him as gifts), as well as sexual assault (by another woman on Kirk) and (basically) domestic assault (that woman on her adult child) treated as not crimes. Not as problematic, but annoying nonetheless, was the ubiquitous bad mood of the main characters: for example, even when unwarranted, Kirk is described over and over as "scowling". This doesn't seem at all in character for him. He's usually much more good humoured and wry when confronted with things he doesn't care for.

However, it was a good mystery (in the sense that it kept me reading to find out the solution), and the plot holes and other nonsense weren't too bad for a Trek novel. As well, I liked the supporting characters so there was that going for it.

I'm marking this available and may end up releasing it at a later date.