Antimatter (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, No 8)

by John Vornholt | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
ISBN: 067188560x Global Overview for this book
Registered by hak42 of Durham, New Hampshire USA on 12/13/2005
Journal Entry 1 by hak42 from Durham, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, December 13, 2005
Interesting, but not one of the better books. The characters seemed a bit stiff at times.

Journal Entry 2 by hak42 from Durham, New Hampshire USA on Monday, December 26, 2005
Shipped as part of my Star Trek Bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by Ibis3 from Newcastle, Ontario Canada on Sunday, January 22, 2006
Picked this one out from bookbox.

Journal Entry 4 by Ibis3 at Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, March 12, 2013
Much better than the last trip to DS9, though the whole Bajor political thing never did grab me. At least this one took place mostly away from both Bajor and DS9 on an alien planet in the Gamma Quadrant. And non-humanoid aliens no less (though one can't think too much about how their society could have evolved without having a capacity for technological development--insect bodies can only take you so far, even if your inner hive acts as a computer interface). There were suspenseful moments and it was decently written. Except. Always an except. Except, the whole antimatter plot foundation makes absolutely no sense. I'm no Starfleet engineer, but as far as I've gathered in my years watching the various incarnations of the show, the antimatter is created aboard the ship in a process enabled by dilithium crystals. Once you have them babies in your warp core, you're good to go. I've never seen a single episode of ST (with the caveat that I didn't watch the last season or two of Enterprise and missed a number of later season DS9s) in which antimatter must be created elsewhere and transported as fuel. Nor have I ever heard of a ship at risk of running out of antimatter (which is mentioned in passing in this novel). Dilithium, yes. Antimatter, no. And antimatter? It either is, or it isn't. The idea that there could be antimatter that is "more pure" than other antimatter makes no sense at all. And that a technologically advanced civilisation wouldn't have the capability to create it also seems implausible (I mean if we can do it using stone knives and bearskins, why can't the Bajorans who are capable of building a warp drive?)