Story of O

by Pauline Reage | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by mojosmom of Chicago, Illinois USA on 11/4/2002
Journal Entry 1 by mojosmom from Chicago, Illinois USA on Monday, November 04, 2002
To call this book sadomasochistic erotica is superficially accurate, yet wildly off the mark. Written in the mid-50's under a pseudonym by Dominque Aury, a well-known editor and translator at the French publisher Gallimard, this book won the Prix des Deux-Magots. (CLICK ON THE PIC for more info on Aury.) The authorship was the subject of great speculation until Aury's was confirmed in 1994. Said to have been written because her lover claimed that women are incapable of writing an erotic novel. Boy, was he ever wrong.

Journal Entry 2 by mojosmom at U. S. Post Office - 46th & Cottage Grove in Chicago, Illinois USA on Saturday, November 09, 2002
Released on Saturday, November 09, 2002 at U. S. Post Office - 46th & Cottage Grove in Chicago, Illinois USA.

Mailed to fellow Bookcrosser pgsahm

Journal Entry 3 by pgsahm from Disputanta, Virginia USA on Friday, November 15, 2002
I received the book in the mail yesterday. Thanks so much! I'll read and release.

Journal Entry 4 by pgsahm from Disputanta, Virginia USA on Sunday, December 22, 2002
Yow. What a book. This was the first book of this type I have ever read and boy was it a doozy!

O, the main character, is a woman who finds herself 'owned' by a man who turns her into a submissive sex slave. She is beaten, forced to do explicit things, and is basically told what to wear, what to say, and how to say it.

I think what intrigued me most about the book is the story behind the author and the fact that it was written in the 1950's when even the word SEX was taboo. To read something that was written in that time period and see some of the very odd and erotic things that happen makes you realize that sex and sexual fantasies have always existed regardless of what society wants you to believe.

Journal Entry 5 by pgsahm at on Wednesday, January 22, 2003
Release planned for Thursday, January 23, 2003 at Bookcrosser's home in postal release, postal release USA.

Mailing to another BCer in Virginia!

Journal Entry 6 by skcreader from Roanoke, Virginia USA on Wednesday, January 29, 2003
received in the mail today - thanks!

Journal Entry 7 by skcreader from Roanoke, Virginia USA on Thursday, February 27, 2003
I read this in high school and now again - uuummmm, doesn't seem quite as decadent as it did then. Sending on to a Illinois bookcrosser.

Journal Entry 8 by Odin from Rantoul, Illinois USA on Friday, March 07, 2003
A fellow BXer offered this book on the forums and I jumped at the chance. I had read excerpts, but felt like I was missing the narrative flow of the book in its entirety. So, now I'll get the whole shebang (ha).

Skcreader included a couple of articles about the author, which I'm saving until after I read the book. It's sure to be interesting.