In a Glass Darkly (Oxford World's Classics)

by Sheridan Le Fanu | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0192839470 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Findabair of St. Hanshaugen bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on 12/11/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Findabair from St. Hanshaugen bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Sunday, December 11, 2005
Skrevet av en protestantisk ire på 1800-tallet, og inneholder blant annet "Carmilla," som kalles den første vampyrfortellingen med lesbiske overtoner. Påkrevd lesning for enhver med interesse for Irland, vampyrfortellinger eller homofili i litteraturen. Gleder meg :)

Journal Entry 2 by Findabair from St. Hanshaugen bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Sunday, February 18, 2007
A fabulous collection of tales of the supernatural from the 1800's. I'm especially fond of Carmilla, an early vampire story which has "everything": Masked balls, deserted castles, a young and innocent heroine being seduced by the mysterious creature turning out to be a vampire. Perhaps surprising, there is a twist - the vampire, as well as the heroine, is female.

Journal Entry 3 by Findabair from St. Hanshaugen bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Sunday, February 18, 2007
Bokring!

I forbindelse med at dette er nummer 849 på listen '1001 books to read...'

Deltakere:
ragsrobin
Tuttasb
???
...hjem til meg.

Journal Entry 4 by wingDeepswampwing from Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Thursday, March 01, 2007
Have arrived safe, looking forward to read!

Journal Entry 5 by wingDeepswampwing from Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Friday, March 09, 2007
Kusligt, intressant! Fantastisk bok, tack för att jag blev tipsad och fick vara med! Nu reser den till stormon!

Journal Entry 6 by stormon from Storfors, Värmland Sweden on Tuesday, March 13, 2007
Boken anlände Storfors idag och jag ser verkligen fram emot att läsa den! Jag ska försöka göra det i rimlig tid, men det ligger 6 bokringar före i kön.....

Journal Entry 7 by stormon from Storfors, Värmland Sweden on Thursday, May 24, 2007
Sorry this has taken so long! Not really my cup of tea, or was it because I´ve been a bit stressed about being so late...
I will send the book on to the next reader tomorrow.

Journal Entry 8 by Mariabokmal from Malmö, Skåne Sweden on Monday, May 28, 2007
Arrived today, looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 9 by Mariabokmal from Malmö, Skåne Sweden on Saturday, June 02, 2007
Scary tales, probably not best read at midnight when home alone. I liked the later stories better than the first. Maybe I didn't quite understand the "eye" in the brain being opened...
The book will travel to the next participant as soob as I get her address!

Journal Entry 10 by ThursdayN from Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Friday, June 08, 2007
Arrived yesterday, thank you!
I just have to finish the book I'm currently reading and then I'll get started with this one.

Journal Entry 11 by ThursdayN from Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Sunday, June 24, 2007
Hm, my favorite story was the one about Carmilla. I found it thrilling and mysterious even if it is not that hard to figure out what is going on... The other stories were ok but perhaps a little boring. The introduction was interesting and should be read AFTER the stories (spoilers).

Interesting read.

Have pmed ragsrobin for adress.

Journal Entry 12 by ThursdayN at on Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (6/27/2007 UTC) at

On its way to ragsrobin.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 13 by mirthful from Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Thursday, July 05, 2007
The book arrived safely a couple of days ago and is now lying almost on top of my tbr pile (a couple of other books have to be devoured first, I'm afraid).

Journal Entry 14 by mirthful from Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Sunday, February 10, 2008
Uhm. Yes. I suppose it helps if you like ghost stories. I don't, and this really didn't do it for me, and I ended up skimming about half before giving up completely. Besides not being a genre I enjoy at the best of times, I found the stories I did read somewhat lacking, leaving the reader too much in the dark (no pun intended). That a lot of the plot twists seem like clichees is hardly Le Fanu's fault, however, but still: Not my cup of tea (green or otherwise...)

Passed it on to Tuttasb at the BC-meetup today.

Journal Entry 15 by Tuttasb from Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Sunday, February 10, 2008
Got this one from mirthful on BC-meetup at Kafé Gjest Baardsen today. Beautiful bookmark too :)

Journal Entry 16 by Tuttasb at BookCrosser in Bookray, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Monday, May 12, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (5/13/2008 UTC) at BookCrosser in Bookray, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

I never managed to get into this book. I love ghost-stories but I couldn't consentrate on the story so I got lost reading it. No the book will travel back to Sweden.

Journal Entry 17 by Findabair from St. Hanshaugen bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Saturday, May 02, 2009
Boka er trygt hjemme hos meg igjen.

@tuttasb - beklager at det tok meg så lang tid å journalføre den!