Venus as a Boy
3 journalers for this copy...
The dying man claims that he is literally turning to gold, a miracle that follows the initial one of his transformation from man to woman.
In addition to these fantastical metamorphoses, the dying man has the gift to transport others into the realm of sublime love and ecstasy, merely by touch or via sex (a blessing reminiscent of Pasolini's Teorema).
These developments are, paradoxically, only one end of the spectrum of incredible events recounted here. At the other end lie sordid and disturbing developments that befall the protagonist.
Sutherland succeeds in maintaining a balance between the realistic narrative and the mythological references. It's a very contemporary story and brutally explicit at times.
At the novel's end the pace of the narrative becomes rushed, the plot takes on too many sharp turns, and the reader is left stranded with questions that remain unresolved. I'm not sure whether Venus is, in the end, a martyr, a saint, or a sinner.
The novel was also adapted into a theatrical production.
- I've registered this at BookCrossing.com so that I can keep up on where it goes, who reads it, and what they thought of it. I'd love to see an entry letting me know it is safe with you.
- To get started, just enter the book's BCID number (you'll find it inside the book) at the BCID field (top left of this webpage) and press Go!
- If you like the BookCrossing concept, you might want to register yourself with a screen name. (but you can remain anonymous also and still journal this book), so that you can follow this book as it travels, and maybe release other books. It’s all confidential (you’re known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), fascinating, and fun!
- Thank you for picking up this book. Do with it as you please... read it, give it to a friend, keep it, release it in the wild - it's up to you.
Please PM if you are interested, and include
a) Your location
b) Where you are willing to post the book after you read it (international, or only within N. America / Asia / Australia / Europe, etc.)
BookRay participants :
- ChrissyHam (in the Netherlands - prefers E.U. postage)
- Lizzy-stardust (in U.K. - prefers U.K. postage, will do intl. if needed)
- last person is free to do as they wish with the book
~ ~ ~ ~ > Please make a journal entry when you receive the book.
~ ~ ~ ~ > Please read and pass on the book within two months of receipt. If you can't do this for any reason, please PM me to let me know.
~ ~ ~ ~ > When you are done reading, contact the next reader via PM for their address. Also make another journal entry (or edit your first one) to share your comments about the book.
CONTROLLED RELEASE NOTES:
I've got a big to be read pile building up at the minute, but will get to it asap, as it's a small book it shouldn't take too long to read.
CONTROLLED RELEASE NOTES:
Sent off in the post to the next reader. Happy reading.
WILD RELEASE NOTES:
released this against a statue. Hope someone finds it and likes it!