Cloudsplitter

by Russell Banks | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by sleone of Oakland, California USA on 12/5/2005
Journal Entry 1 by sleone from Oakland, California USA on Monday, December 5, 2005
unabridged. 18 cassettes. Read by John Edwardson. Former library set.

Journal Entry 2 by gnissorckoob from Miami, Florida USA on Saturday, June 24, 2006
Whoa. What a h-u-g-e set of cassettes. Actually 19 cassettes. When it arrived in the mail, I thought I was receiving a bookbox! Anyway, thanks, Sleone. I'm sure I'll enjoy this historical novel based on the life of the John Brown's son. I have never understood Brown's radical role in the anti-slavery movement, but maybe this will shed some light. I have visited Brown's farmstead in New York, pictured on the front of the book. (The audiookk has a different picture. I think it is the son, Owen Brown.)

Journal Entry 3 by gnissorckoob from Miami, Florida USA on Thursday, September 21, 2006
Fascinating. Finished Part I today (9 cassettes)and am eager to go on. I'd like to think this is historically pretty accurate. I understand Russell Banks did so much background research that he thinks he overdid it. Anyway, it strikes me aa a very in-depth and suspense filled psycholgical autopsy.

John Edwardson, the reader, does an excellent job.

Journal Entry 4 by gnissorckoob from Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, October 4, 2006
Part 2 finished today. I thought it was worthwhile, except that the beginning and the section about the Kansas campaign were not such interesting "page turners." The part about Frederick Douglass' involvement or non-involvement and Owen's persepective on the Harper's Ferry were pretty riveting but I would like to have heard nmore of Owen's perspectives on the aftermath. Anyway, I would recommend Cloudsplitter to anyone interested in historical fiction about slavery and abolition or peaceful versus non-peaceful ways of solving problems.

I am planning to donate this to the audiobook library at the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Miami.

Related Link.