The Sex Lives of Cannibals

Registered by lovemylife of Campbellsport, Wisconsin USA on 12/5/2005
Journal Entry 1 by lovemylife from Campbellsport, Wisconsin USA on Monday, December 05, 2005
The laugh-out-loud true story of a harrowing and hilarious two-year odysey in the distant South Pacific island nation of Kiribati--possibly the worst place on earth.

Journal Entry 2 by Ri from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Monday, May 29, 2006
This was waiting for me when I arrived at my new home in Ohio today! Thanks so much for sending it, LML!

Journal Entry 3 by Ri from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Saturday, May 12, 2007
This was a highly entertaining read! I'd love to visit Kiribati, but only for a day!

I've mailed this via slow boat to teachie as art of the Armchair Travel swap. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by teachie from High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 27, 2007
Thank you so much Ri, this arrived today. I look forward to reading this and then passing it in another swap.

Journal Entry 5 by teachie from High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 26, 2007
What an enjoyable book. We lived in Nigeria for 4 years and bits of this book brought back memories...the sweltering heat at night when everyone dripped because the electricity was off, trying to light a kerosene lamp in the dark and not break the mantle. The total disregard of the locals for hygiene was also familiar! I look forward to reading the next book.
This will now be going into another swap.

Journal Entry 6 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Thursday, December 06, 2007
This book certainly seems to have done a lot of real traveling among us armchair travelers. I will certainly keep the tradition on! Thanks so much for sharing this book.

Journal Entry 7 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Saturday, November 22, 2008
Really enjoy this funny book, lots of hilarious moments, from the first page to last. However, this is more than a humorous read, the author does dig somberly into the social economic issues of Tawara. My favorite is the one about diapers. I think the title is misleading though. As far as I remember, the sex lives of the native was only mentioned over two pages, and as for cannibal part: this is what the native tells their children: behave, or the I-Matang (foreigners, a category which includes the author) will eat you!
Just picked up a copy of Lost on Planet China and looking forward to reading it, I like Troost's writing a lot.
Now mailing off to HoserLauren as a replacement for Complications, which she won from the Non Fic Swap, and which, befitting the title, couldn't be mailed to her due to some complicaitons. Hopefully one day I will find it again and send it.

Journal Entry 8 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Monday, December 15, 2008
Wow, this book is well travelled!!

Received today as a replacement book from a non fiction swap. Looks interesting and it seems to come highly recommended by most people here!

Thanks!!

Journal Entry 9 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Sunday, February 19, 2012
Maarten Troost doesn't feel like he fits in his normal American job, so when his fiancee is asked to work at a non-profit at the end of the world, Troost follows. The country is Kiribati, located in the central Pacific Ocean, requiring many flights to get there. The island has history, as Japanese and American fought on the island during WWII. Tarawa is also an incredibly populated city, despite being in such a small area. Troost describes with humour his two year adventure on Kiribati, including run-ins with people pooping in the sea water he was swimming in, a dry spell with no beer, and how the locals only seem to listen to the Macarena.

The book labels itself as laugh-out-loud funny but I didn't find it that funny. It was quite quirky though. I noticed that had the author's name not been on the front of the book there's no way I would have known what his name was because I don't think he mentions it at all throughout the book. Rather, Kiribati residents call him an I-Matang, which means a foreigner.

I don't think I would actively seek out Troost's two other books but if I ever came across them I'd certainly read them.

Journal Entry 10 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Friday, February 24, 2012
Mailed off today to my birthday partner. Happy birthday!

Journal Entry 11 by zosime at Marshfield, Wisconsin USA on Sunday, March 11, 2012
Thank you so much, Lauren! I read Getting Stoned With Savages on vacation last year and really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to more of Troost's adventures.

Journal Entry 12 by zosime at Marshfield, Wisconsin USA on Sunday, August 26, 2012
I enjoyed this book very much, though I think I liked Getting Stoned with Savages a bit more. Although much of the book was very amusing, under (and sometimes between) the humor are some very serious themes. Troost might dress up his never-ending quest for safe food and drinking water as a slap-stick adventure, but the distressing reality of Tawara's sanitation and resource problems comes through loud and clear. I think Troost is at his best when he steps away from the humor entirely to explain something like the battle of Tarawa or American nuclear testing in the South Pacific.

I'm passing this along now to Esme-Weatherwax. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 13 by Esme-Weatherwax at Limerick, Co. Limerick Ireland on Sunday, September 09, 2012
Thank you zosime for this wish list book.