Day of Confession

by Allan Folsom | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by lauraloo29 of Edmonton, Alberta Canada on 12/4/2005
Journal Entry 1 by lauraloo29 from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Sunday, December 04, 2005
A world-famous assassin, a power-hungry villain, a beleaguered hero, a plot to take over the largest country on earth. Folsom's frantically paced follow-up to his bestselling The Day After Tomorrow throws together all the raw materials of a first-rate thriller and proves that ingredients alone do not a meal make. Four days after Cardinal Rosario Parma is assassinated in Rome, hotshot L.A. entertainment lawyer Harry Addison gets a frantic phone message from his estranged brother, Danny, a Vatican priest. Shortly thereafter, Harry hears that Danny has died in a bus explosion. When he flies to Rome to claim the body, he discovers that Danny is the prime suspect in Parma's murder?and that he's still alive.

Journal Entry 2 by lauraloo29 from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Sunday, June 25, 2006
Sending as a surprise RABCK to Hoserlauren. :)

Journal Entry 3 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Friday, June 30, 2006
I received this today from my Edmonton friend lauraloo! It was a nice surprise, as this is a wishlist book I've been looking for for quite a while!!

Thanks so much lauraloo! You made my day :)

Journal Entry 4 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, July 07, 2007
Wow, what a thriller! After the assassination of a cardinal in the Vatican, Harry Addison gets a frantic voice mail from his estranged brother, Danny, a priest in Vatican City. Less than 24 hours later, Danny is dead and Harry is on a flight to Italy to bring his brother home. The police aren't willing to just let him come in and take his brother home without questioning him on some troubling evidence they have... that points to Danny being the murderer of the cardinal.
I've read quite a few mysteries this year, yet I find that for me, a mystery is much more page turning when someone is wrongly accused. Trying to find out how the character is going to prove that they are innocent makes for a page turning novel!
I felt quite sympathetic towards Harry and Danny and enjoyed them both as characters. Elena, the nurse that took care of them, however, was a bit stiff. And when Folsom forced a relationship on Elena and Harry, I was surprised. I felt absolutely no chemistry between the two of them. It's almost as if Folsom thought that Harry seeing Elena naked would suddenly make him fall in love with her.
I was a little questionable towards Palestrina. How could someone so obviously evil and self-serving get to be so high in the Vatican City? Surely someone would have said something about him sooner, regardless of his scare tactics. But of course, without him none of the story would have been possible.
The ending of the book was cinematic and I had troubles putting down the book to get off the train and go to work!

Journal Entry 5 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, July 08, 2007
This book is with me now :)

Journal Entry 6 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, September 18, 2007
Day of Confession is a mystery that is slightly different; about 1/3 of the way through the book you know the details of the crime and the criminal. The remainder of the book is about how 'they' get caught. And what happens is still a surprise.

A Cardinal is killed and Henry Addison's brother, a priest,is thought to have pulled the trigger. Father Addison is on a bus that explodes and is presumed dead. Henry discovers the body is not that of his brother. Whereupon he is soon fingered for the murder of a policeman. Now on the run and trying to find out about his brother Henry is soon involved with Vatican conspiracies to take over the world and international terrorists.

The book is action packed and reads like a block buster movie. The only nit is that the romance in the book is totally unneccesary and totally unbelievable.

Journal Entry 7 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Friday, August 22, 2008
Woops this book is back in my possession and I'm going to try and pass it along in a book box.

Journal Entry 8 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Monday, September 15, 2008
Sorry I hung onto this for so long! It's been mailed off to Elsi today :)

Journal Entry 9 by elsi from Sanger, Texas USA on Sunday, September 28, 2008
Arrived in Thursday's mail and I opened the package on Friday. I chose this book from the Mystery VBB at BookObsessed because it looked absolutely intriguing. I'm hoping to start reading it fairly soon so I can find out for myself.