A Death in Vienna

by Daniel Silva | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by sally906 of Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on 12/1/2005
Journal Entry 1 by sally906 from Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Thursday, December 1, 2005
The sins of the past reverberate into the present

Journal Entry 2 by sally906 from Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Saturday, December 31, 2005
Reserved for Skinglist - will be flying off to Japan soon

Journal Entry 3 by sally906 at Parliament House Grounds in Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Sunday, January 15, 2006

Released 18 yrs ago (1/15/2006 UTC) at Parliament House Grounds in Darwin, Northern Territory Australia

Will be mailing this off to Skinglist in Japan tomorrow lunchtime

Journal Entry 4 by SKingList from New York City, New York USA on Friday, January 27, 2006
Thanks, Sally!

This book came at *the perfect* time. Had just gotten the call from work that said "yes we realise you worked a Late last night and you're not on the schedule 'til 18:40 but we need a warm body, preferably one with a pulse so come in by 12:30..." and I stumbled past the mailbox and went 'ooh package. OOH BOOK!' and immediately tore into it on the train :)

Had finished the book I was reading last night and had grabbed a new one that was the best of a bad bunch of options so I was thrilled for this to arrive and to be able to continue my love affair with Gabriel Allon. I just need to find a photo of the guy I picture as him.

Thanks again, Sally! I'll get this back to you as soon as I finish reading it.

Journal Entry 5 by SKingList from New York City, New York USA on Monday, January 30, 2006
Wow, I absolutely loved this book. There was the thread a few weeke sback on changing a screenname to a fictional character and without a doubt I'd chose Chiara Zolli. She's one hell of an agent and she's got Gabriel Allon in her bed!

And a young Stephen Collins? (See photo in entry) Been driving me nuts but he *is* my Gabriel. As was the case in The Confessor, Silva drags us in immediately--Death had joined them in the beginning, and death remained the foundation of their bond. I love Shamron, still working on who fits my mental picture of him.

My obsession with history sucked me in to this book and re-kindled my desire to go back to Europe and see Poland. I had the option to do a trip to Auschwitz and Birkenau but didn't and now I'm regretting it so I think that's going to happen on the way home. MOre on that to be posted to my website soon though.

One thing that drove me a bit batty was his random use of Hebrew and German, OK it fit the story but the usage is hard to sort and I have yet to find a good translation of the Hebew on line which made me feel as if I was missing something. As for the German, only one phrase I can't get and explaining that will be Ute's fee for my passing on this book :)

I like the ties to Argentina and Eichmann, again the history buff in me and it's kind of odd looking back. We can't criticise with hindsight but sometimes I have to wonder what our leaders were thinking, or rather weren't.

I liked the chance to get inside Radek's head on the trip to Birkenau. Though fiction, maybe it is close to the truth. Did some really not believe they'd done anything wrong? Iliked his meeting with Gabriel--drop the euphemisms indeed--call a spade a spade and what not. And of course the tie ins with Haider, I remember that campaign and wondering what would come with it. Hard to imagine.

HIs mentions of Yad Vashem have re-kindled an interest initially sparked by "Auschwitz and After" a course I took, taught by a Catholic nun, at Naz. Was the first time I'd met a Holocaust survivor and some of their words are still with me. Even as Gabriel travelled to Safed to meet Tziona I felt as if I were transported back in time-Galilee, Nazareth, Bethlehem. I hope one day those places are safe enough to visit.

Per Sally's request, this is going to be released in Japan. Ute wants to read it first though, so I will pass it on to her when I see her on Thursday. Thanks again, Sally, for sending this my way :)

Journal Entry 6 by SKingList from New York City, New York USA on Thursday, February 9, 2006
Ute gave this back to me, mentioning that she quite enjoyed it--yay! Going to release the book tomorrow in the teacher's room. Only one work release has been journalled so far but I've seen the others find new homes :)

Released 18 yrs ago (2/10/2006 UTC) at NOVA Ochanoma Ryugaku Center - Namba in Osaka / 大阪市, Osaka-fu Japan

Teacher's Room or 16F Break Room

ETA Left in 16F Break Room spotted in the hands of another teacher, 19 Feb.

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Sunday, April 6, 2008
I found this book at work, in the bookshelf we keep to pass on books.I work for an english conversation school in Japan, and many people and books pass through the office, so I picked it up, read it, and passed it on again.

CAUGHT IN NISHINOMIYA-KITAGUCHI HYOGO JAPAN

Journal Entry 9 by DragonTintin from Sydney CBD, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, April 6, 2008
Found it on the bookshelf at work for hand-me-down books
Read it, passed it on