@ The Woman in White (Classics)

by Wilkie Collins | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 055321263x Global Overview for this book
Registered by DreamworldBooks of Brooklyn, New York USA on 11/23/2005
Journal Entry 1 by DreamworldBooks from Brooklyn, New York USA on Wednesday, November 23, 2005
I decided to register and release this book because it has been sitting on my bookshelf for eons! I'll probably never feel the urge to read it anytime soon. I hope the next reader enjoys it.

Journal Entry 2 by DreamworldBooks at Book Relay in Book Relay, Book Relay -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, December 04, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (12/5/2005 UTC) at Book Relay in Book Relay, Book Relay -- Controlled Releases

Sending off to Starry-Starry. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by Starry-Starry from Llandrindod Wells, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, February 11, 2006
Arrived this morning, thanks very much DreamSE22! Looking forward to reading a book by a founding-father of the mystery genre.

Journal Entry 4 by Starry-Starry from Llandrindod Wells, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 05, 2010
From the back of the book:
"'There, in the middle of the broad, bright high-road - there, as if it had that moment strung out of the earth or dropped from heaven - stood the figure of a solitary Woman, dressed from head to foot in white garments.'
Thus young Walter Hartright first meets the mysterious woman in white in what soon became one of the most popular novels of the 19th century. Secrets, mistaken identities, surprise revelations, amnesia, locked rooms and locked asylums, and an unorthodox villain made this mystery thriller an instant success when it first appeared in 1860, and it has continued to enthrall readers ever since."

What I thought:
I really enjoyed this once I got passed the first few pages. I picked it up a couple of times, read a few pages and then put it down, but this time I persevered to Walter's encounter with The Woman in White and I was hooked from then on. I really liked the separate narratives of all the key players in the plot and thought they were very well portrayed, each seeming to have very different styles of writing and illuminating their characters still further. The plot still felt fresh even though it is 150 years old and the pace was reasonably fast considering its age. As a result it feels quite modern and is much easier to read than other 19th century works (Dickens for example).

Now that I have read this one I think I will try The Moonstone next. I have recently bought a Sony Reader and have already found a free edition of the book!