Waiting

by Ha Jin | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by cnfotp on 11/21/2005
Journal Entry 1 by cnfotp on Monday, November 21, 2005
I absolutely love this book, it really moved me and I would love to know what others think of it. This is taken from Amazon:

Synopsis
This novel tells the story of Lin Kong, a man living in two worlds, struggling with the conflicting claims of two utterly different women, as he moves through the political minefields of a society designed to regulate his every move.

From the Publisher
The winner of the 1999 US National Book Award for Fiction, a poignant and deliciously funny love story, set in China during and after the Cultural Revolution.

Journal Entry 2 by cnfotp on Sunday, November 27, 2005
Offered as an International Bookring. Here are the list of participants:

Nell-Lu (UK)
Sobergirl (Finland)
kbudgie (Malta)
Joanthro (US, CO)
fflloorr (Portugal)
Drusillamac (UK) <-on it's way :)
Di78 (UK)
jasminasab (Bosnia-Herz)
back to me....

Journal Entry 3 by cnfotp on Monday, November 28, 2005
On it's way to Nell-Lu today... Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 4 by Nell-Lu from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 30, 2005
Arrived this morning - thanks cnfotp for sharing and for the lovely fairtrade tea bags. I'll look forward to curling up with this book and a mug of tea - I just have to finish my current book (Interpreter of Maladies) and I'll get onto this one, probably in a couple of days.

By the way, I loved the recycled envelope. Re-using things is great!

Journal Entry 5 by Nell-Lu from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, December 01, 2005
I both liked and disliked this. It is well written and easy to read, and I found the story interesting enough to keep me turning the pages. However, I didn't really identify with any of the characters or understand their motivation. The rules restricting the characters' options were so all-encompassing that they warped everything: feelings, relationships, responsibilities. It seemed strange to me, though, that Lin Kong would risk a lot (career, reputation) to wriggle out of one set of duties to his wife, just to tie himself to a woman he no longer - if ever - loved and desired. I didn't find the love story aspect convincing.

I think this was an interesting exploration of what restrictions and controls do to human relationships. Overall, I enjoyed reading it - thanks for starting the bookring, cnfotp.

UPDATE: I have Sobergirl's address and will take this book to the Post Office this afternoon (01 December 2005).

Journal Entry 6 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Wednesday, December 07, 2005
The book is safe and sound in Finland!
Thank you Nell-Lu for the chocolate! It's organic, dark chocolate. My favourite! THANK YOU!

Journal Entry 7 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Thursday, December 15, 2005
I liked this story, thanks for sharing it as a bookring!
I will now send this book to the next participant.

Journal Entry 8 by kbudgie on Monday, January 09, 2006
Thank you Laila, I look forward to reading this and eating the chocolate :) I think the book will last longer than the chocolates :D

Journal Entry 9 by kbudgie on Wednesday, February 08, 2006
My review http://karen.blog-city.com/waiting__a_novel_vintage_international.htm

Now to get to the post office :D

Journal Entry 10 by kbudgie at Mailed out in Snail Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (2/22/2006 UTC) at Mailed out in Snail Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Posted today :D

Journal Entry 11 by Joanthro from Denver, Colorado USA on Sunday, March 05, 2006
The book arrived safely yesterday!

Journal Entry 12 by Joanthro from Denver, Colorado USA on Monday, April 10, 2006
I really enjoyed reading this book and I thought it worked on several levels. Like Nell-Lu, I also didn't identify with any of the characters in the story, but I found their predicaments fascinating. In the recent "5 word summary" thread in Book Talk, I said: Clash of culture and bureaucracy. I think that clash was what created all the sad lives of the characters in the book.

I don't think Shuyu ever really moved into the world created after the revolution; she remained the simple, dutiful wife who never questioned her husband. Manna lived a post-revolutionary life as a nurse, but was constrained by rules which still held women unequal to men in may ways, even though the political rethoric called men and women equal. (I'm thinking specifically here of the need for nurses to remain virgins both to enter the profession as well as to advance in the profession if they remined single while males in the hospital had no such aspect of their job requirements.) Finally, Lin Kong managed to remain the kind of academic who never has to think of anyone other than himself. The revolution, the purges, the plans, they all pass by him since he never really becomes attached to anyone or anything outside of himself. He has a flash of insight into the shallowness and selfishness of his life one night when he became completely drunk, but the insight seemed to disappear with his hangover. He passively waited for something in his life that he thought was love and Shuyu and Manna waited for him to love them. All three wait for happier lives in a system and situation that seemed designed to make all of them ultimately wait for nothing.

Thanks so much cnfotp for making this excellent book available as a Book Ring!

I mailed this to fflloorr on 4/8/06.

Journal Entry 13 by fflloorr from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, April 24, 2006
It's with me now. I'll read it asap.

Journal Entry 14 by fflloorr from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Wednesday, May 03, 2006
What a wonderful book. I really enjoyed reading it. I'm becoming quite a fan of chinese literature.

The book is now goig to Drusillamac.