The Viceroy's Daughters : The Lives of the Curzon Sisters

by Anne De Courcy | Biographies & Memoirs |
ISBN: 006093557x Global Overview for this book
Registered by LastEdition on 12/6/2005
Journal Entry 1 by LastEdition on Tuesday, December 06, 2005
Based on unpublished letters and diaries, The Viceroy's Daughters is a riveting portrait of three spirited and wilful women who were born at the height of British upper-class wealth and privilege. The oldest, Irene, never married but pursued her passion for foxes, alcohol, and married men. The middle, Cimmie, was a Labour Party activist turned Fascist. And Baba, the youngest and most beautiful, possessed an appetite for adultery that was as dangerous as it was outrageous. As the sisters dance, dine, and romance their way through England's most hallowed halls, we get an intimate look at a country clinging to its history in the midst of war and rapid change. We obtain fresh perspectives on such personalities as the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, Oswald Mosley, Nancy Astor and the Cliveden Set, and Lord Halifax. And we discover a world of women, impeccably bred and unabashedly wilful, whose passion and spirit were endlessly fascinating.

Journal Entry 2 by LastEdition on Sunday, January 18, 2009