The Lovely Bones

by Alice Sebold | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Heaven-Ali of Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on 11/5/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Heaven-Ali from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, November 05, 2005
The narrator of this book - Susie Salmon was murdered in 1973, and she speaks to the reader from heaven where she watches her devastated family over several years. An unusual well written novel, which has become very popular.

Released 13 yrs ago (11/26/2005 UTC) at Hudson's, 122-124 Colmore Row in Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

To be released during the Birmingham meet up. If it is not taken it will be available on the shelf at the back.

Journal Entry 3 by BC-08080413432 from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, November 26, 2005
I picked this up at the Birmingham meet. I have been debating for a long time whether I want to read this book - it sounds so distressing - but was talked into it by impressed readers, so I'm going to give it a go.

Journal Entry 4 by BC-08080413432 from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, January 22, 2006
This was good, but it's had such a buildup that it didn't meet all my expectations. I did think it was quite well done: the shocking bits were genuinely shocking, the moving bits were genuinely moving – I found it hard to read the account of the murder and the bits concerning the family’s suffering because they were so convincing. But I was disappointed that the book didn't give me more to think about. I think this is because a) what can you say about the rape and murder of a child other than that it’s awful? and b) there was hardly anything about the dead Susie's experiences in heaven. For most of the book Susie as the narrator faded into the distance even though she was telling the story, so we didn't get to know much about her personal heaven or how she felt about what had happened to her. It made me feel that the child in heaven was more a device to tell the story of how her family coped than something that brought new insights in itself, and that was a real shame. But I am glad I managed to get past that difficult first chapter to read the rest of the book - on the whole it was worth it.

Journal Entry 5 by BC-08080413432 at Pen and Wig pub OBCZ in Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, April 29, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (4/29/2006 UTC) at Pen and Wig pub OBCZ in Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom

I'm bringing this to the Cardiff meet today at 2pm.