Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell : A Novel

by Susanna Clarke, Simon Prebble | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by woosang of Campbelltown, New South Wales Australia on 11/15/2005
Journal Entry 1 by woosang from Campbelltown, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, November 15, 2005
In 1806, Mr. Norrell, a plodding pedant, claims to be the last magician (wizard) in England. To prove it, he animates gargoyles and promises to help defeat Napoleon's forces. Jonathan Strange, an up-and-coming magician and the antithesis of Norrell, becomes his pupil. Their friendship and fantastical exploits make up much of the rest of the book. Oxford-educated Susanna Clarke invents a magical nineteenth-century England, replete with the dark, musty smell of old libraries and the stuffy diction of pedagogues. Narrator Simon Prebble creates an impressive gallery of personalities, each distinctive, each believable. Yet even with Prebble's outstanding performance, listening proves difficult. Clarke's copious "faux scholarly" footnotes force Prebble to interrupt often enough that the narrative flow suffers. This is probably best listened to with text in hand.

Journal Entry 2 by woosang from Campbelltown, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, November 15, 2005
WOW 26CD's that is a big book. Having faced the fact I may never get to read the text, I have bought the audio book. Maybe I will have more chance to listen to this than read the book.

Journal Entry 3 by woosang from Campbelltown, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, December 04, 2005
Does this book ever end??? It is not bad but I am sure gald I am not reading the novel. It seems to just go on and on. Luckly the story is entertaining. I would just get sick of the same book. Thanks goodness for Audio books.

Journal Entry 4 by woosang from Campbelltown, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, December 04, 2005

Book Ring

crimson-tide (WA)
astro2480 (NSW)
Peggysmum(ACT) ) **Book Here**
Back to Woosang

Journal Entry 5 by woosang at RABCK in -- Controlled Release, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, December 22, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (12/22/2005 UTC) at RABCK in -- Controlled Release, New South Wales Australia

Sending this ring on its way! The box is already crushed so don't stress too much everyone!!

Journal Entry 6 by wingcrimson-tidewing from Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Monday, January 02, 2006
Received today, having been slowed down in its trip across the continent by the Christmas / New Year holidays. I'm glad that this one is a 'ripple' as 26 CDs may take me a while to wade through!
Thanks woosang.

Journal Entry 7 by wingcrimson-tidewing from Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Saturday, February 18, 2006
Phew, finally got to the end! This is...a very...long...book. A strange book in parts too (no pun intended). Probably more suited for a lover of history, both real and pseudo, than a fantasy geek. I reckon Simon Prebble did an absolutely brilliant job as narrator; he really made the different characters come alive (the men that is - his women all tended to sound the same).

I did find it to be rather tedious at times (a bit Norrellish?). However overall it was oddly compelling - towards the end it upped the action . . . . then it was all over and done in a flash. The prose style I thought was suited to the time in which it was set, and to the subject - yes, even the footnotes!

I would never have got through this as a 'book' book, so must agree with woosang "thank goodness for audiobooks". Next off to astro2480 once I have an address.

Thanks woosang.

Journal Entry 8 by astro2480 from Lismore, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, February 26, 2006
Arrived today ... with some surprise additions. Thanks so much.

Journal Entry 9 by astro2480 from Lismore, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, April 09, 2006
My first audio book, so it was the novelty more than the story that helped me to finish it.

I agree with crimson-tide, Simon Prebble is a great narrator, but his female voices are agonising, but I guess it's harder for a man to do female voices than vice-versa.

If this was in book form I don't think I would have finished it. It was a bit slow, and a bit boring in some places. To balance it out - the good bits were entertaining.

Thanks woosang - off to peggysmum tomorrow.

Journal Entry 10 by peggysmum from Kambah, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Wednesday, April 19, 2006
Arrived on Tuesday complete with hitchikers. Thanks to all. Um, am wondering about the handbags though. Are they just padding or do they ned to be sent on as well?

Journal Entry 11 by woosang from Campbelltown, New South Wales Australia on Monday, January 14, 2008
The cds have arrived home with a huge bag of books. Thanks so much to Peggysmum for the wonderful gifts :)