One True Thing -- JOIN THIS BOOKRAY!!

by Anna Quindlen | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0385319207 Global Overview for this book
Registered by pgsahm of Disputanta, Virginia USA on 10/28/2002
Journal Entry 1 by pgsahm from Disputanta, Virginia USA on Monday, October 28, 2002
Extra copy!

What’s a bookray and how does it work?

A bookray is when a book passes from person to person based on the list of members involved. Preferably a bookray book is never released into the wild.

To join this bookray (or any other bookray of mine) please private message me. I will be glad to add you to the list. New members are added all of the time so be sure to check the list of participants before you mail the book to the next in line just in case!

Once you are a bookray member you will receive the book from the person listed before you. When you receive the book please make a journal entry stating that you’ve received it. Then read it as soon as you can (no absolute hurry, just be reasonable please :o), and journal again with your thoughts. You’ll then need to private message the person on the list after you for their address. Mail the book by media mail (it’s cheaper!), and make release notes on the book only if you’d like to. Then sit back and watch the continuing journey!

The members are as follows:

MarthaMinx (North Carolina)
sejent (Kentucky)
Jas330 (Washington) (no int'l)
Mamikaem (Missouri) (currently has ownership)

Zyana (Portugal)
tho (Portugal)

Journal Entry 2 by pgsahm at on Friday, August 01, 2003
Released on Friday, August 01, 2003 at Bookcrosser's home in postal release, postal release USA.

Let the bookray begin!

Journal Entry 3 by MarthaMinx from Asheville, North Carolina USA on Sunday, August 17, 2003
Received the book this weekend, and although it arrived at the same time as another bookray, I feel sure I can get through it soon, and pass it on it's journey. Thanks for sharing this one, pgsahm! I'm looking forward to it. :)

Journal Entry 4 by MarthaMinx from Asheville, North Carolina USA on Monday, August 25, 2003
Simply fantastic!

Although not a "light-hearted" read, I found the subject matter of this book thought-provoking and sincere. Each of the characters just seemed to deal with their grieving in a realistic way; they were angry and sad, but also insightful about their lives and their roles as a family. I admired Ellen for learning so much about herself, and her relationship with her mother and father. How, as we grow out of being children, we can begin to look at our parents as people, whose lives were shaped by events just like ours are, and who, although we don't always forgive, we can at least begin to understand.

From page 286: "And being so wrong about her makes me wonder now how often I am utterly wrong about myself. And how wrong she might have been about her mother, how wrong he might have been about his father, how much of family life is a vast web of misunderstandings, a tinted and touched-up family portrait, an accurate representation of fact that leaves out the only essential truth.

What a beautiful book of family life. And I have to admit, the movie is pretty darn good too-- I mean, it's Meryl Streep...you can't go wrong!

Journal Entry 5 by MarthaMinx at on Monday, August 25, 2003
Released on Monday, August 25, 2003 at Bookcrosser's Home in Postal Release, Kentucky USA.

Off in the mail to sejent, the next person on the bookray list! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by sejent from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Friday, August 29, 2003
Received in today's mail...I will start reading soon and will journal again when I have finished.

Journal Entry 7 by sejent from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Tuesday, October 14, 2003
A very compelling, thought-provoking book.

Sending to Jas330 in Tacoma, WA.

Journal Entry 8 by Jas330 from Lakewood, Washington USA on Friday, October 24, 2003
Hahaha -- another bookray book. Nice -- well I have a lot of them here to read so it may be a little while, sorry about that.
Thanks.

Journal Entry 9 by Jas330 from Lakewood, Washington USA on Sunday, December 07, 2003
Well I've had this book for over a month. I started to read it but couldn't get into it. I'm going to pass it along, as I don't want to hold it up anymore than I already have.

Journal Entry 10 by Jas330 from Lakewood, Washington USA on Tuesday, December 09, 2003
Sending today! :-)

Journal Entry 11 by Mamikaem from Maryland Heights, Missouri USA on Thursday, December 11, 2003
Received today! :-)

....and mailed it on to Zyana in Portugal today - 03/10/2004.

Journal Entry 12 by Zyana from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Monday, May 24, 2004
Arrived last friday safe and sound. I'm a bit overwhelmed with rays/rings atm but will make an effort to read this one asap.

Journal Entry 13 by tho on Wednesday, July 28, 2004
Received today .. I didn't remember that I had already signed up for this bookray, and I've read another copy a few months back. I really enjoy Anna Quindlen's writing and this book made me cry a lot. I read it not long after my own mother passed away due to cancer, so every word was just too truthful and painful.

Since I seem to be the last person on this bookray I will try to pass it along to another BC friend.

Journal Entry 14 by tho at on Saturday, September 18, 2004

Released 15 yrs ago (9/18/2004 UTC) at

To be released today at the BC meeting ...

A ser libertado no encontro de BCs hoje ... no relvado às ondinhas ou na Mediateca

Journal Entry 15 by Maria-Nunes from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Sunday, September 19, 2004
I brought this book from the "Porto-Lisbon meeting" in Parque das Nações. If I get enough room in my luggage, I'll take it with me on holidays and release it in Prague :)

Journal Entry 16 by Maria-Nunes from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Friday, August 19, 2005
started reading this one, today

Journal Entry 17 by Maria-Nunes from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Tuesday, August 23, 2005
uau! I really enjoyed reading this book.
thanks so much for sharing, pgsahm and tho!
I'll post a thread on the Forum asking if anyone is interested in keeping this book as a bookray. if not, I shall pass it to another bookcrosser, probably on my next holidays, somewhere in Spain :)

Journal Entry 18 by Maria-Nunes from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Tuesday, August 30, 2005
NEW RAY: (international and always opened)

1. patxocas - Portugal
12. glade1 - USA
13. wyldewomin, USA
14. angelgrace217,USA

.....

Journal Entry 19 by Maria-Nunes from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Tuesday, August 30, 2005
the new ray begins on September 1st! It's going to patxocas :)

Journal Entry 20 by patxocas from Câmara de Lobos, Madeira Portugal on Friday, September 02, 2005
Received yesterday by the hands of MariaNunes in a meetup at Lisbon.

Thanks Maria.

Journal Entry 21 by patxocas from Câmara de Lobos, Madeira Portugal on Tuesday, September 27, 2005
Just read it and really enjoyed a lot.
Like someone said here, every word was too truthful.

Is going to Finland tomorrow.

Journal Entry 22 by winghetku77wing from Nokia, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, October 04, 2005
4.10. I just received this book my mail from patxocas, thank you! I'll try to get around starting it asap!

1.12 Well, this is my asap - I finished the book yesterday :). I really enjoyed the book even though the subject was far from easy or uplifting. The first 2/3 of the book when Ellen was nursing her mother until her death would have been enough for this book, I think. The characters felt really real and the way Quindlen described their relationships and Ellen's change was simply fantastic. There was so much truth in everything about family life, that if some one will deny that, he/she's betraying his/herself. The last 1/3 of the book when Ellen was prosecuted for killing her mother didn't really go along with the start. I felt all that was a bit irrelevant and useless somehow. Some one mentioned there's a movie made of this book and when reading it I felt I've seen a movie like this before. So, I wasn't imagining it :).

Journal Entry 23 by wingrem_VQX-661814wing on Monday, December 05, 2005
Received today safe and sound!!

Thanks hetku77!!

Journal Entry 24 by wingrem_VQX-661814wing on Wednesday, March 15, 2006
Ler este livro foi violento.Não me envolveu.Tenho pena.

Well, i didn't like too much.Sorry.

No me ha gustado mucho.Lo siento.

Allons, très pleurnichard.Peut-être un livre "féminin"?!

Fiz seguir...to Lylianna