The Sweet Potato Queens' First Big-Ass Novel: Stuff We Didn't Actually Do, But Could Have, And May Yet

by Jill Conner Browne | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by emtmeghan of on 3/6/2007
Journal Entry 1 by emtmeghan from not specified, not specified not specified on Tuesday, March 06, 2007
Quick and fun read. I really enjoyed it and just know that its next reader will too.

From Booklist
Browne's Sweet Potato Queen advice books on love, divorce, and cooking have found a wide audience in readers who appreciate the Queens' sassy southern charm. With coauthor Gillespie, Browne turns to fiction for the first time to share lives and loves of the Queens. Jill, Mary Bennett, Patsy, and Gerald are united by their outsider status in high school. When Tammy, a beautiful but insecure redhead, moves into town and is humiliated by the in-crowd, Jill and company form the Tammy Club to bolster her spirits. The five enter the homecoming parade in wild dresses and red wigs, but a misprint on their sign (it reads Yammy instead of Tammy) leads to the five rechristening themselves the Sweet Potato Queens. The groups' friendships last for decades, despite distance and differences of opinion. Mary Bennett pursues fame on the coasts, Gerald comes to terms with his sexuality, and Tammy marries. But not everything is rosy. Mary Bennett finds success as a soap actress at the expense of the love of her life, Jill finds a man who proves too good to be true, and Tammy's insecurities lead to infidelities. Spirited and brazen, the Queens are good company.

I am putting this into my "First Timers" Bookbox. Enjoy!!

Journal Entry 3 by briansbaby from Smyrna, Georgia USA on Wednesday, April 04, 2007
Sounds like fun. :) Out of my normal reading realm, but bookcrossing is really getting me to read "out of the box" ;) pun intended. I look forward to trying this one out, after I tackle a bit more of my TBR mountain *sigh* but I just couldn't resist. :)

Journal Entry 4 by briansbaby from Smyrna, Georgia USA on Saturday, April 14, 2007
I personally didn't enjoy this book too much. It just felt shallow, and I guess I just wasn't in the mood for such a light read. I did like the recipes in the end though. :) Hopefully the next reader will enjoy it more!!

Released 13 yrs ago (4/16/2007 UTC) at KSU new Social Sciences-2nd floor on a table in Kennesaw, Georgia USA

leaving before class on one of the tables on the opposite side from the stairs, on the second floor. :) Happy hunting!

Journal Entry 6 by 20cmc06 from Marietta, Georgia USA on Tuesday, April 17, 2007
I haven't read it yet!

CAUGHT IN MARIETTA GEORGIA USA

Journal Entry 7 by 20cmc06 from Marietta, Georgia USA on Thursday, May 10, 2007
Sorry this is really late, I set the book free like a week and half ago =) I really liked the book, it was a good rad before bed every night!

Journal Entry 8 by 20cmc06 at Parking Garage haha in Kennesaw, Georgia USA on Thursday, May 10, 2007

Released 13 yrs ago (4/26/2007 UTC) at Parking Garage haha in Kennesaw, Georgia USA

it's already been found! at least i didnt see it there again..