The Inimitable Jeeves (Arena Books)

by P.G. Wodehouse | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by nice-cup-of-tea of Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on 11/1/2005
Journal Entry 1 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Tuesday, November 01, 2005
Bought @ Buecher Brocky in Zurich, an enormous and fantastic second hand bookstore :-)

Journal Entry 2 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Monday, November 21, 2005
I love Wodehouse, so english and so upper class/ edwardian turn of the century :-) And he uses such wonderful, over the top language - just from one page selected at random - bally, beastly, my man, "a bit thick, what?", "how the dickens", "oh, dash it", chappie, rummy, "rather jolly"
The joy of these short stories are that you know that Bertie is a rich, indolent, rather stupid but kindhearted gentleman, but that Jeeves has more brains, heart and character than he will every have :-)

Amazon Review
With a cast of characters that includes bearded revolutionaries, practical-joking twins, incognito authors, and a pair of confidence tricksters, The Inimitable Jeeves finds our upper-class hero Bertie Wooster in all kinds of hot water. Of particular concern in this collection of short stories is Bertie's friend Bingo Little, who falls in love so often that it is impossible to keep track of his romantic entanglements, and who always falls for the most unsuitable women.

Unable to refuse to help a friend, Bertie is placed in one difficult situation after another, always under the watchful eye of his butler. Jeeves constantly works in the background, undermining Bertie's autonomy and moving the narrative in unexpected directions. He often fails to let his employer in on his plots, and a large proportion of his schemes turn out to expose Bertie to ridicule.

Yet Jeeves also ensures that Bertie's life runs smoothly, steering him through the pitfalls which face a rich young man with too much time on his hands. When in one story Bertie overhears Jeeves describing his employer as "not intelligent", he sets out to disprove the butler's assessment. If it is predictable that things do not go according to plan, then it is Wodehouse's brilliant grasp of comedy which makes the manner in which things go wrong so constantly surprising. And, of course, by the end of the tale Jeeves has proved himself both inimitable and indispensable

Journal Entry 3 by nice-cup-of-tea at Café Gloria (OBCZ) in Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Friday, December 02, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (12/8/2005 UTC) at Café Gloria (OBCZ) in Zürich, Zürich Switzerland

Journal Entry 4 by ScarletBea from Honley, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, December 09, 2005
For such an anglophile as me, it's unforgivable I've never read P.G. Wodehouse, so, it's Jeeves all the way :)

Journal Entry 5 by ScarletBea from Honley, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 27, 2005
This was a really funny book! You can see and hear the actual life of the idle upper class british youngsters of the 30s, an image I have from all the BBC tv series of the past and the Agatha Christie's novels I so avidly read in my youth, complete with misunderstandings, funny expressions, unbelievable plans and always, to save the day, the faithfull butler.

Go Jeeves :)

Journal Entry 6 by ScarletBea at Café Gloria (OBCZ) in Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (1/10/2006 UTC) at Café Gloria (OBCZ) in Zürich, Zürich Switzerland

Taking it to the BC Meeting

Journal Entry 7 by Potat1556 from Oberweningen, Zürich Switzerland on Tuesday, January 10, 2006
Shamelessly added to my huge Mount TBR today from the Meetup. Hopefully, will get to it soon enough.

Journal Entry 8 by Potat1556 from Oberweningen, Zürich Switzerland on Tuesday, November 25, 2008
Was fun to read this, the totally Britishness of the characters was somethign I could identify with...being married into a British family. It was light reading and interesting how Jeeves is always ready with solutions for his stupid lazy rich boss.

Journal Entry 9 by Potat1556 at Hauptbahnhof in Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Thursday, July 22, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (7/22/2010 UTC) at Hauptbahnhof in Zürich, Zürich Switzerland

Better late than never...time to let go!!